Guest viewing is limited

THR Stiffness but no hip pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a vote in favor of elevating both your recliner and anything you want to sit on for meals.
The newer furniture risers are often wider and with rimmed edges to help with stability, compared with what I remember from decades ago.
 
@mendogal Yes I have some furniture raisers. I'm slightly at an advantage because I'm short however and that makes it easier because a booster cushion works on our dining chairs, for example. I'm going to miss my rocking chair. It's currently my go to for comfort. I'll be counting the days until I can get back into it. I think I've pretty much got everything except the thing for lifting your leg. Do you think they're an essential or is the end of a walking stick just as useful? I'm going to end up like a kid on the first day at school. All dressed and ready and an endless wait until it's time to go.
 
Update on the red tape. No go with simply getting added back on the surgeons list. Despite already being assessed previously. I've got to go through the NHS physio red tape. My GP tried to bounce me through that stage but never mind. I keep reminding myself, it was my decision to delay two years ago. Maybe a warning to others that if things suddenly get worse, you may have a few months of real struggle, certainly in the UK on NHS treatment. I don't have to actually have physio just get the tick in the box from a consultant physio.
 
I think I've pretty much got everything except the thing for lifting your leg. Do you think they're an essential
I didn't purchase a leg lifter -- I just used a long fabric belt and it was sufficient for the few days I needed an assist in getting the leg up.
 
Ups and downs of coping whilst waiting. So to my absolute delight, I forced myself to do some physio and was able to walk a little without my stick at times. I'd experienced a bit of a mental block because I can't get on the floor and just getting on the bed to do any physio was painful and difficult (long story, I have a waist high bed I need to use steps to get up into). How wonderful the last few days were, I've been able to get around in-between rests and do the housework and even got outside into the garden. Going great until this morning and walking across the kitchen, my knee buckled with a sharp pain, mid kneecap. I'm now back to hobbling around with a support on the knee and walking stick constantly. I have to admit to a few tears when trying to prepare the evening meal, with a messed up kitchen I hadn't managed to clear was all a bit too much. I guess I thought things were going to be a bit easier if I forced myself to do the painful physio. Now I'm back to worrying about my knee... I know the hip is bad and I'm definitely going to get it replaced but I'm sure knees don't buckle because of the hip... Or maybe they do. Anyone else experienced buckling knees with hip arthritis? I certainly have some arthritis in my knees but all the medical experts are saying there isn't much wrong with it. At least I finally got a date for my x-rays, 17th October. Quicker than my appointment with my GP to discuss my pain medication!!! That's not until 21st October! Honestly it's worse than it was during the pandemic.
 
Please don't ever force yourself to try painful physio! Pain is your body's main "early warning system" and really deserves to be heeded.

I'm sorry about your knee and the delays!!!

The thing about your hip-knee system is this: when we live with bad arthritis in a weight bearing joint like a hip, over extended time it throws off all the surrounding soft tissues as they (mal)adapt to compensate.

As a result, muscles, tendons, and ligaments change - some tighten and become contracted while their counterparts stretch and become lax. Over time, because those structures attatch up to pelvis-spine and down to the knee, this affects those areas too.

The pelvis can get skewed in up to three planes, creating hip, sacrum, and back issues. And yes the pressures on the knee could be destabilizing - even to the point of messing with the medial or lateral meniscus.

Here at BoneSmart we often see this following joint replacement, when in surgery everything is suddenly reset. But it's not uncommon to be symptomatic preop too.
 
Thanks for the wonderful information and warning about physio. Honestly it's very, very gentle slow physio but being immobile leads to everything becoming very stiff. The one exercise that I think may have set my knee off are the 1/4 squats with back against the wall. I very much agree with you about listening to the body and its warning pain. My physio gave me squats to do. I thought I'd better try. I did 5 this morning and there's just something about any kind of squats that seems to be wrong for me. I should have avoided them but was egged on by the seeming benefit of doing the gentle ones. The gentle bed physio has seemed to get me moving and a bit more stable. Maybe that was the issue. Moving a bit quicker than my usual incredibly slow pace and without a stick. My body isn't familiar with it and as you kindly pointed out, there are a lot of different body parts at play. Hopefully I'll get another chance at feeling a bit better in a day or two and be reminded to walk slow and keep using my stick. Thanks for your kind words
 
100% agree that even 1/4 squats aren't a good idea.
 
Some good news! My referral for hip replacement has gone off to my surgeon of choice today! Yay. My MSK guy was happy to get the process started before I get my new x-ray. Simultaneously, I got a confirmation from the surgeons secretary in response to previous email confirming I could be scheduled with the surgeon who'd seen me two years ago. All good for a long wait now but at least I know the clock has started ticking. Officially, there's a 15 week waiting list, so not as bad as some parts of the UK.
 
New x-rays taken today, another tick in the box! I feel things are moving along and I'm feeling really positive. Just wanted to say a huge thanks to all of you lovely people at Bonesmart for helping me come to terms with signing up for surgery. It's early days but I'm even contemplating how soon before I could get the other hip done. Still hoping the knees can last but we'll see what the x-ray reveals. One step at a time, literally
 
Another quick update. I've had the results of my x-rays. Fantastic news is that my knees are still pretty much the same as two years ago, mild to moderate arthritis. This includes the right knee that causes me all of my pain. The hips not so good. As expected they've deteriorated. Both hips were classed as severe two years ago and the left is now much worse. The right, the same side as the really bad knee is also worse but according to the x-ray the left is significantly worse than the right. I've discussed with my consultant physio, lovely knowledgeable chap... He has advised to negotiate with the surgeon to prioritise the right hip. This is based on the left leg being much stronger and stable. My fear now and two years ago is coping post op if they do my strong pain free leg first. I'm worried that I'm going to really struggle in recovery if I'm relying on my right leg to take the strain. I can't lead with this leg, climbing stairs for example. The knee is too painful. All efforts to try and build up strength in that leg has failed. If I try to push it to step, it just gives up and I can't stand or walk with it for a couple of days. Any helpful tips or experiences would be gratefully received in terms of priority when you need both hips done. Plenty of time, unfortunately it could be three months before I even get an appointment with my surgeon! On a related note, my GP has dropped my Naproxen prescription down to one 500ml a day from the initial two tablets a day he prescribed. Just did it on my repeat prescription without telling me. I've got an appointment with him to discuss but not until 5th November! I tried yesterday to take only one but by evening I was too stiff to walk and then had an uncomfortable nights sleep. I could take the one tablet later in the day but then I'd be stiff in the morning when it's nice to get some chores done. Any ideas?

Ps... The physio thinks the right side maybe the more problematic because my pelvis is twisted possibly because of a slight curve in the spine. Just in case that may influence your tips on priorities :) :-) (:
 
Last edited:
He has advised to negotiate with the surgeon to prioritise the right hip. This is based on the left leg being much stronger and stable. My fear now and two years ago is coping post op if they do my strong pain free leg first. I'm worried that I'm going to really struggle in recovery

Wondering if bi-lateral hip replacement might be an option for you? I don't know if that's widely down in the U.K., but it's becoming increasingly common here.

We have quite a few bi-lateral hip members who have reported successful recoveries. You can find some of their stories here:
 
Thanks for that @benne68 I'll take a look at the stories.

I'd thought about it. I had bi-lateral foot surgery a few years ago and it was tough but I didn't regret having them both done at the same time. It was bone realignment and bunion removal. I was a lot fitter then though but honestly I'm not sure fitness made a difference to recovery when you're mostly elevating your legs and hobbling about in boots for weight bearing.

I'll research and maybe suggest it to the surgeon. He's already got me down as obese though, so I'm betting he'd be reluctant. I'm what I would call fairly average weight, size UK 16. Not what I'd call dangerous weight but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion. Certainly, being totally better more quickly would be a bonus. I'd be up for it... I think:what::what:
 
Well @benne68 You did it again. You may notice that every time I get a bit of new info I'm off on a decision wobble. I did a bit of research on bilateral and I don't think I'm a great candidate because of my underlying undiagnosed inflammatory issues. Then thinking about being willing to cope with bilateral surgery, the penny dropped. Coping with my troublesome right leg may make it challenging but not as bad as coping with two new hips at the same time. I'll cope either way. I'm going to just give the surgeon the facts and follow his guidance on which to do first. Thanks :yay:
P.s.. sorry I'm a chatterbox and looks like you lot are going to be stuck with me piping up for ages with two hips to do
 
Oh no, I'm sorry if I set you into a tailspin, @Deni444! I was trying to help, since you voiced concern about which hip to do first. I certainly didn't mean to cause you more worry. I think your decision to listen to your surgeon is wise.

We are all different and all must each follow our own path through this surgery and recovery. In honestly, I don't think I'd be able to handle bi-lateral surgery, but we have members who think it's the best decision they every made.

You are not "a chatterbox"! You are dealing with normal pre-surgery anxiety. We've all been there and that's why you can rely on us to help!
 
@benne68 sorry you misunderstood. Your comment helped a lot because I realised if I was prepared to cope with bilateral surgery, I could cope with my good leg first and my bad leg would be a challenge but I would cope. I'll still mention bilateral to my surgeon but I'm thinking ahead that he'll say I'm not a great candidate. If he thought I wad, I'd seriously consider it based on my previous bilateral experience. For anyone who is a good candidate, I'd recommend it for consideration. Yes, it's tough but it's all over before you know it and one surgery, not two.
 
A light at the end of the tunnel. I don't have a surgery date yet but an estimate of the end of January. If that holds true, it's pretty good for the NHS in the UK. In the meantime, I've found some relief using a four wheeled walker with a seat. I've found it really helpful around the house and garden. It's great because when my legs stiffen up with pain I can sit for a few minutes and then get up again. I think it's also helped me walk with better posture. I use it late afternoon which is my worst time, in-between my two doses of naproxen. For anyone else who may be struggling whilst waiting for surgery, it may be helpful to get a wheeled walker. Bonus, I can carry things in the little basket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom