6 week update... Monday I made some long drives ( 45 minutes each way) which is so uplifting since I could not drive 10 minutes the last few weeks before surgery. My PT says after next week, we cut back to once a week as progress is good. My normal daily exercise is a 30 minute walk inside the house ( all steep grades around where we live and driveway, not yet, thank you) and then the exercises the PT gave me, adding in a few we added at the site, about an hour total exercise each day.
Range of motion with donning/removing shoes and socks on the operative leg is improving a little. Back doing dishes and laundry. The cane has been gone indoors over a week, and all the assistive devices finally found a place in closets or behind the click/clack (LOL) Plans to go out Friday and again next Thursday, so refreshing to do things other than health care appointments. Basically rejoining the living and real life. Though I am not looking forward to the winter weather as I continue recovery.
Gait is not perfect and it will be a topic for long term monitoring when I see the OS in early December. I dont want to wear the new hip out with my issue of being out of alignment from my 2012 left achilles reconstruction ( think of a car wearing out tires unevenly). That will also be a time to discuss snow shovelling, ROM expectations, weight bearing for scuba tanks etc. Yeah there is still discomfort and numbness and the occasional zinger or tweak, but I am SO THANKFUL all my referred pain is gone. I remember my leg buckling in airport and coming home wheelchair assist back in June.
I found that some slight tears in my knee on the operative leg that were found in an MRI the day before seeing the surgeon in early August are causing pain in some of the PT exercises, so we modified the program. The PT doesnt think they would go in by scope and clean it up due to my age/potential for arthritis post op and that a cortisone shot may be the only course aside from OTC painkillers. These were not there before the initial set of PT from the first doc in May and I blame him and the PT facility for this, they were too aggressive in the initial evaluation ( I could not believe how hard they were squeezing and pressing)and exercises with too much weight on the machine. Not wanting to get into a generational war here, but this facility location had mostly all younger PTs/manager under 30. I am sorry but hiring a group of people fresh out of a local university and not mixing in enough older PT's is a recipe for disaster as I have found out. You need to find locations where they are experienced with joint issues and reconstruction and they understand old arthritic joints. We are not athletes or weekend athletes at this point....My PT's now are part of the large ortho group in the region that performed my surgery and at one of their multi purpose sites ( docs/PT but not operative) and as mentioned very experienced. We are all to an extent naieve and trust health care professionals, but as I have found out more three times in the last 30 years, I have suffered greatly due to inadequate diagnosis/treatment/surgery. Dont get the oldest professional and dont get the youngest, read the reviews and boy do I wish I went to this site immediately after my initial diagnosis and also my rheumatologist specialist friend .... DUHHHHH, would have cuts months and thousands of dollars wasted by me and the insurers..