Guest viewing is limited

THR Steelmanpa's Recovery Thread

Good Afternoon @Steelmanpa
Your headache could be from anesthesia also. I've read headaches after spinal anethesia can last from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
The Activity Progression for THR that we use reflects that in the first week a five minute walk every couple of hours is plenty so I wouldn't worry about walking for 10 mins every hour if you're not feeling up to it. Usually a walk to the bathroom, or kitchen to get a snack or drink covers it.

The cookie cutter instructions are problematic, since our bodies have gone through different degradation of strength, muscle and our individual post op misery. It is one of the great failings of this process. One size does not fit all and the common sense approach everyone shares here reduces my angst about not being in this marvelous early post op condition...my recovery pace is my journey helped along the way by everyone here.

Yay to that wisdom and insight!!!!

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful relaxing Sunday!
 
Well, 1 week post op. I have been off narcotic meds since weekend. Thanks to my cat some days I get up a lot more being 6 ft from the deck door in my recliner which is my world. Generally get up every hour to two for a powder room run with the walker, my wife has been very attentive with ice and timers. Bought a padded cushion on Amazon to elevate (not the deluxe one) Really no swelling till 2 days ago with extended times on feet or sitting normally. Goals for today are to do the steps for first time since coming home last Friday, more upright time.
Took several days to clear the ear blockage and noise sensitivity, that held me back 3 days from exercises on sheet, thats the other thing to start today. Pain still in front of thigh when I get up and start moving, only pain I have..Gait is lousy, its going to take a lot more time for that. One week till followup with P/A. I cant wait to sleep in bed again. The recliner is really old at this point, back sleeping.Some cramping in my non operative foot with elevation.That had achilles tendon transplant 7 years ago and has its own previously tortured muscles. The sleep deprivation is still a problem, maybe 4 hours including 3 mature man weekups. My wife and I both got up just after 4 am today, she and the cat have taken over all the pillows on the bed...Well, adios for now and will report on my ambitions for today and how they turned out later or tomorrow.Yeah, sleeping on a bed with pillows and a purring cat...my lofty aspiration
 
Oh boy! Week 1 is in the books! Love your lofty goals. :heehee:
You sound like have a good handle on your recovery, thigh pain is definitely a factor in the early days.
Will be interested in how your appointment goes next week! :flwrysmile:
 
You're doing fine ...

Here’s how I iced ... nylon workout shorts, on back on sofa with two pillows under knees, rotated with op side up, put silicon packs right on the nylon so almost nothing else between skin and the silicon ice pack, put towels on top to insulate. 45-60 minutes.

Up, walk around with walker or crutches (I used crutches almost exclusively) for 15 minutes, including bathroom break. Sit for awhile, wander around some more, back yo sofa and elevate and ice.

Extend walking as you can.
 
You are doing good. It just seems like recovery times on surgeries tend to be a challenge and so uncomfortable.
Last September my right knee was replaced and I don't feel like I totally recovered from it before my right hip replacement is now facing me in just days, we've got to really be tough, don't we? You are giving me courage and insight into what to expect. My very best to you.
 
While I didnt do all the exercises, the surgical dressing was removed and the incision looks very good. Went downstairs as planned. Had my normal day as they are.Woke up at 330 am uggghhhhhh, old reruns of Highway Patrol and Sea Hunt, the cats been on the deck and back in 4 times already. Another unspoken issue are raw irritated spots after sleeping/sitting on a recliner for a week in virtually the same position. That has to be dealt with. Thinking the vinyl recliner and some nights perspiring are a large factor...i wish there was a description of what you are supposed to feel in the thigh after the surgery, for me the mind says ouch, is this normal, not just the pain but other sensations...Think I will call the nurse today and ask about sleeping positions.
 
Glad your incision is looking good! I have a fabric tilt chair and I know what you are talking about. I have not had surgery yet, but can shift my weight which helps. I seep in my tilt chair at this point. I am wondering would an egg crate cushion help? Maybe someone can come along @Mojo333 and advise? @CricketHip?
 
Another unspoken issue are raw irritated spots after sleeping/sitting on a recliner for a week in virtually the same position. That has to be dealt with. Thinking the vinyl recliner and some nights perspiring are a large factor...i wish there was a description of what you are supposed to feel in the thigh after the surgery, for me the mind says ouch, is this normal, not just the pain but other sensations...Think I will call the nurse today and ask about sleeping positions.

I hear you here... I am no back sleeper and got a recliner just a day before I went for surgery for a sole purpose it will force me to stay on my back. If you think the vinyl perspiring is a factor, I suggest you put on it a Queen or King size comfort you probably have somewhere stored and then try it. I am sure you will fell much comfortable. It worked for me. Still... I could not wait to be well enough to get back to my bed.
As the moderators and forum advisors here said many times - hang on....it is all temporarily!
:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning! I agree with RinTinTin. I used a king sized flannel sheet, didn't have any issues.
I'm a big fan of corn starch baby powder, after bathing,, maybe that's what protected me.

Your thigh pain or discomfort can be all over the place, this early on.
Mine would feel super bruised and sore and very warm to the touch, then at times the inner groin pain would be very significant. Or it would move to the knee area and feel like I had badly sprained it. Ice helped all of those tings quite a bit.
Then, it progressed to the zingers.. they were really annoying. I'd be sitting there, minding my own business and then zip! zap!

All of the above can last for many weeks.
But if you are worried, for sure, you should call your OS office.
 
In the class the other day, the nurse who gave the class told us she took a comforter and folded it to fit her dad's recliner when he had hip replacement, she said it worked great for him. The vinyl is most likely part of your problem.
 
I'm not a back sleeper. but I went to bed every night after my THR. I did wake up frequently but it was no big deal, not like I had somewhere to go or anything to do. Within the week I was able to sleep on my back in bed with a pillow between my legs. I used an icing machine and used it in bed and in the recliner so I could keep it on continuously if I was stationary. Thigh pain and crazy pinches and short sharp pains were common in the early weeks. I never had a dressing, just a clear tape with no external stitches over the incision. After a week it itched like crazy and I did develop a rash just above the incision. I showered from the first day I was home and every day trying to get that tape to come loose, it never did, but the nurse removed it at 2 weeks.
 
Hello and Happy Friday, yep...it's Friday, at this point I'll bet you lose track as all days seem the same. You'll know it's Sunday when the big newspaper comes. :heehee:

Sounds like a pretty normal first week of recovery. A pain here, a fleeting pain there, in between the zaps and zingers. Broken sleep, no sleep, catching a nap when you're able. I agree with the advice on placing a sheet or blanket over your recliner. You don't need open sores to contend with.
Continue to ice on a regular basis, get sleep where you can and squeeze in some walks while you're up on bathroom breaks or trips to the kitchen for snacks or drinks. You're doing well, keep it up.

I hope you have a pleasant weekend! :wave:
@Steelmanpa
 
Some revelations...
I didnt put the ski glides on the used walker we bought. That was a mistake. Bought Vive glides with booties for the hardwood and linoleum/tile main floor we live in and walking with the walker is now insanely good.The old style rubber tips on the rear where not right for this house. We actually bought 2 used ones. The main one has the wheels on the outside for greater stability. The other one which is used strictly for powder rooms and bathroom has wheels on the inside for clearance.It has worn ski glides like the Vive but no booties.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the issue with perspiration and even seams in undergarments lead me to suggest gold bond powder as a precaution , I think @CricketHip made the corn starch powder suggestion first..if you are early post op and have garments potentially chafing, an ounce of prevention...days of being in the same position in a recliner are going to create pressure or rub points, perspiration in skin folds etc.......otherwise looking forward to the stairs twice, trying some of the exercises and working on walking with my new high speed smooth rolling walker!
 
:wave:Hope things are leveling off some and you are hitting your recovery stride. (Well.. STRIDE may not be the best word)
I like the words of our splendid staff member. Roy Gardner
When you are icing and elevating and watching telly you are not 'dossing around' you are 'engaging a carefully considered proactively designed heuristically programmed dynamically structured recovery programme'.
 
Hello @Steelmanpa :wave:
Making progress, figuring things out, sharing ideas. All good!
You're on your way :walking: I hope you have a wonderful week.
 
otherwise looking forward to the stairs twice, trying some of the exercises and working on walking with my new high speed smooth rolling walker!
Ahhh, yes, it's the little things in the early post op days. You are sounding better with each post.
You got this!
 
So Monday night was first night in bed and I slept hard & deep except for those couple of times you must get up. After 11 nights in the recliner and very difficult sleep it was great. Last night I was not so fortunate (or cumulatively exhausted) and sleep was not as good. First shower in shower chair was Monday, thank goodness we kept the shower chair from my achilles reconstruct...loved the shower head on the flexible hose. Ended up using the walker half in/out of the tub for access, worked like a charm.

Generally my incision and the surgical area feels like a knot of what it is-tortured flesh...the operative legs muscle atrophy in hip/thigh/glute is an issue I will address with the post op followup Thursday. I see that as that muscle atrophy as the largest issue in my recovery and TBH, I am nowhere near ready to transition from a walker to a cane and that is my biggest disappointment a day short of two weeks post op.

Otherwise, today will be a day of binge watching JAG reruns on the recliner, icing and getting up periodically to walk using the walker.

One other sport now is looking at the bills online with my health care insurer, seeing what the charges are , whats accepted by the provider...pretty much everything but the surgeons bill and the portable foldable bedside commode ( used the frame the first week only in a tight space powder room for assist in seating and rising) now its stored for future use.

I guess the difference between the Post op handout from the surgeon/hospital and the post op guides here on the forum are a point of question...perhaps the handouts are the most optimistic for people without muscle mass loss, etc..

More after the 14 day followup tomorrow... take care all!
 
Good Morning @Steelmanpa
It sounds like you're doing pretty well to me. I certainly wouldn't worry about lacking the strength / confidence to transition from the cane at this early date if you're not comfortable. Wishing you a peaceful day and the best of luck at your post op tomorrow. Will look forward to your next update.
Happy Wednesday! :wave:
 
The walker half in and half out of the shower sounds like a smart idea!
We all heal at different rates, judging from what I have been reading on Bonesmart. I am sure you will get there.
I hope you have a more restful night tonight.
 

Staff online

  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom