THR Steelmanpa's Recovery Thread

@MEPil Thank you ! I am going to start PT on Monday to evaluate and discuss my gait issues primarily, and maybe we can get a handle on my muscles real condition. Not ready for heavier duty muscle building in any way, shape or form. The surgeons dont evaluate your muscle condition preop, so we are individually left to be our own advocates. Cookie cutter standard post op protocols dont fit all..have I used enough cliches yet ? Its first thing Monday, so hopefully some useful information to report Monday mid day!
 
Hello and Happy Saturday :wave:
Good luck with your PT appointment in a couple of days. We'll look forward to your update Monday.
Have a great weekend! :)
@Steelmanpa
 
@Steelmanpa :wave:
I think you are making progress, has to feel great! Getting out of the house is so good for us. Ihope you get out for something nice this weekend,, it's so bright and sunny!

Good to hear about your PT appointment. I hope it goes well for you and hopefully you will leave us an update afterwards!

You got this, you just need a little more time and practice. You are going to have a lot of muscles waking up.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary! You've been doing well so far, keep taking it slow and steady. Good luck with PT tomorrow, I think you have the right idea going in, non of that cookie cutter stuff for you!
 
Yes, one month down:happydance:
Actually is a fairly perplexing time...is this right?:shrug:
Things will improve..
Healing Mojo coming at you, hippy pal.
 
Happy one month Anniversary. The very best on your first PT visit on Monday. I go on Tuesday for my first visit. I wish us both luck. You are doing great.:) :-) (:
 
Ok, to all thanks. @MEPil @Layla @CricketHip @Mojo333 @Elf1 @VSlowLife appreciate everything!
Here is the update. I was very happy to be assigned to an experienced grown up mature PT (not someone who is going to treat me like a 25-35 year old athlete LOL ) and voiced my concerns to her of things affecting my gait and my muscle atrophy etc. We went through the interview/eval and tried certain things for strength, ROM, measurements. Basically we saw my limitations, where I was good, etc, most important- what hurt and was too advanced, without hurting me in the process. I was given a new set of exercises to be done once a day at home and also scheduled one more session this week and two next week at the facility to monitor/eval. She did not think this was a long term thing and said to me to get off the cane when inside the house...I may be cutting back a little on the overall walking times. Some of the printed exercises I had from my "cookie cutter" at home PT, well I was further along than those so we have a combination of exercises. I think the thigh is the most problematic, but its still way better than before surgery when I could have used the leg lifting tool from the post op kit.... am not to push myself too hard and listen to my body. I am encouraged and will continue with caution..this afternoon will be a trip to the diner, tomorrow to vote. She said 75% of the folks who have THR with the anterior procedure are fine with the canned PT program and walking, but some like me who have had muscle degradation or other issues need a little help. So, again hopeful now that someone has actually looked at me who knows what they are doing and challenging my muscles where need be, limiting me where necessary, instead of adrift wondering whats really going on . Good afternoon to all!
 
:happyfeet:Happy Dance for a Good Update. So glad your PT is mindful and I think you will do great...
One month is still early days, so keep the faith....
 
So happy you got a good PT that gets it, we're all different and need to be evaluated before being given the same old same old treatment. I think this is going to work well for you.

Just curious, realize this is the first visit so you may not know yet but were you the only one the PT was treating at that time. The place I went, after the first eval visit, the PT bounced between me and another patient every time I was there. She'd give me an exercise to do then go to the other patient and do the same to them.
 
The place I went, after the first eval visit, the PT bounced between me and another patient every time I was there. She'd give me an exercise to do then go to the other patient and do the same to them.
At the second session after my first hip replacement the same thing happened to me. That and the fact that he made my yet unoperated hip much worse. I never went back.

I still have to call the PT I used a few years ago for a different issue to start learning the MacKenzie exercises. They were very good and helpful before, I’m hoping nothing’s changed. I was only left to my own devices when I was having electrical stuff done.
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday!
Good update. Thanks for taking the time to share. It sounds like you've found a good PT to help you work on the things you need help with. You're doing well. Take good care and stay in touch! :)
@Steelmanpa
 
to all the 5 week status
@Elf1 and @Cee yes I was the only one during the eval and expect that there will be multiple patients in upcoming sessions. Given my bad experience with my leg crashing during the preop PT and knowing not to push myself, my self awareness is going to be on top sensitivity....The PT also did not expect this to be prolonged as it was gait targeted as well as eval. We may not have more than 3 more sessions already booked unless I feel there is the need.
@CricketHip yes, working on altering the scuba trip date shortly.....may push to late May to mid June..7-8 months post op.
@boots glad I can provide some guidance through my experiences...
@MEPil left you a post about your exercise concerns on your thread.

So where am I at? Putting away the walkers. Only using the cane outdoors. Doing my new PT routine once a day and trying to increase my walking times as my gait becomes more normal. Putting away all the dressing aids except for the grabbers. Expect to put the shower chair away shortly. The toilet accessory rails ( don't attach, the frame runs around the toilet bowl and has arms and a magazine rack whoo hoo) is also in my sights soon.. drove to a close by diner the other day and we had an early bird special dinner. Tomorrow my second PT, and then next week things get a little more adventurous with a 45 minute each way drive. My wife is coming with. I am doing a semi acoustic duo show on veterans day with a friend as a favor and test of my progress. Big night out on the 15th planned seeing a friends band at a micro brewery, with a cane in tow.

More incremental ROM progress, doing dishes and generally being less & less dependent on my wife.
Not 100% and don't expect to be for a bit, but we knock a little of the obstacles down day by day, and do everything with an abundance of caution (my THR surgery cliché). Yeah I am a little behind the curve, but its ok. I will catch up!
 
Sounding great! Gosh, already kicking the aids to the curb. Just kidding,, it probably feels like forever for you.
Just being able to do some things for yourself is a good feeling. I like that you are sharing your experience and helping others too.. that's what this site is all about.
The dive trip? Please refresh my memory, it wasn't to Bonaire, was it? That is in our sites for next summer, hopefully.
 
You sound fantastic, don't know why you think you're a bit behind in recovery. Putting away all those recovery tools, good feeling. Definitely want to keep grabbers, they are so useful for so many things. My hubby even has one out in his shed to help get stuff off the top rafters. :snork:

You may want to take a small cooler with you for ice packs when you do the duo on veterans day, just in case you need them, especially for the way home. Also take the cane to this event too just to be on the safe side. But it does sound like fun, so does the visit to see a friend's band.

It really does help others to be able to watch your progress and see that there is normal life after the surgery. Thanks for posting your updates.
 
@CricketHip yep Bonaire staying at a place in town thats a private home/villa rental right on Playa Lechi, mere steps from the Ocean and I think Dive Friends Bonaire location..
@MEPil I think you will do fine, you were quicker to surgery and didnt have a prolonged wait for muscles to say adios...
@Elf1 Thank you for your advice and encouragement!.
 
You certainly don't sound behind the curve at all. You're doing great. Walking unassisted the majority of time, storing Recovery articles. Big plans for an evening out with friends in a week. All very encouraging!

I hope those two 45 min car rides aren't too uncomfortable. That is something I struggled with early on, for several months actually. After 30 minutes I became very fidgety and wanted out. I'd define it as a discomfort that was more than mild. I found a gel ice pack worked for me. I'd place one under the seat belt over a portion of my incision (Posterior) that was irritated by the seat belt. The confinement and inability to stretch also added to my discomfort. Hopefully it's uneventful for you.

Keep doing what you're doing. It seems to be working well for you. Happy Friday....have a great weekend!
@Steelmanpa
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom