THR Steelmanpa's Recovery Thread

Loved hearing about your progress @Steelmanpa. I am just a week behind you, but still not able to play any gigs. Of course I never could, so...
Like you, I'm still waiting for some additional healing. Can't wait to see if I feel much better when the weather turns warm.
 
Hello @Steelmanpa :wave:
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
Assuming all is well and you're progressing in your recovery.
Noticed you have a couple gigs this month. Best wishes as you continue on the journey.
Have a great week!
 
Hi @Layla
Thanks for the good wishes.
I feel very much like I have peaked in recovery and not many changes over the last month plus.
Still have the numbness in areas close to the surgical site, and still the muscular issue which predated the surgery, when doing the leg lift ( hip to groin). I also have discomfort at the edge of the ROM lifting my knee towards my chest. My endurance for standing is good and I am looking forward to my May scuba & snorkelling trip.

A story from a professional drummer friend who also had his hip replaced.. He is in a band that did the song "All You Zombies" in the 80's and had a lot of hit records with them. He had his hip replaced 7 years ago and said he was out doing shows fairly quickly but it took him 2 years to be 100%..

So I am still happy about the surgery, wishing for more normality in the hip . My ex wife called me as she is getting her hip done in May and is nervous about it.. she used to work for the biggest ortho and reconstruction outfit in the area and is the last person I expected to be frightened by the few caveats of what can go wrong....
 
Good to hear from you @Steelmanpa
I recall that numbness in some areas around my incision lasting for longer than four months. It should ease with time as well as any other discomfort you're feeling. It can take up to a full year for recovery and I've heard several times two to even two and a half years! So patience is key. Don't forget icing either. You may take comfort and find relief through icing for many months to come.

As for your ex...I don't believe those connected with medical professionals are any less fearful than the general population when it comes to major surgery. They've probably heard more scary stories than we have through their involvement with the profession. Tell her about BoneSmart if you have an opportunity. We'd love to welcome her and follow her journey.

Please mention Joint Replacement Awareness Day to her. It's on May 9, 2020.
Following is a link you may want to pass on to her.

Wishing you all the best as you continue the journey!
 
I just had my 2 year anniversary on my left hip and your friend is about right. I remember at 1 year it still wasn't 100% and I have seen improvement over the last year. I'm still not saying it's 100% and it's had to step up with the right replacement and it has shown some weakness.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Members online

Back
Top Bottom