• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.

glynis

senior
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi Kim

In answer to a point in another thread, I looked up Bill and Ben on You Tube, and find that they were even more clinky, clonky and clanky than I remembered. As for Weed... Well, not much of a conversationalist, is she?

I hadn't realised that her main role is simply to keep cavey for the two reprobates, whilst the gardener might come back, and find them up to no good. Not much of a role model for the modern woman, is she?

You'd probably also have some do-gooder wanting the series banned on the grounds that "Flob-A-Dob" is not exactly the most precise elocution to which a young child could aspire in language development. (Though perhaps preferable to some of the 4-letter stuff they hear everywhere these days.)

Isn't it funny... Only quite a small number of people in the world can possibly think that walking like Bill and Ben is a great step forward, and something of which to be truly proud.

But I'm one of them!

Nannyannie

senior
Country
Hi Kim - isn't it always the way, one bit fixed, then another plays up! However, like glynis I find that walking like Bill and Ben is a step forward (and better than being in a wheelchair like I had to be for part of last year!!!!)
All we can do is keep plodding on and ignore the "I climbed Everest/ ran a marathon/skydived just weeks after my THR" lot. They might be the ones having a revision sooner - and some people tell lies elaborate!:whistle:
Look after yourself!
Anne

Peaches

graduate
Country
United States United States
Hi, Kim22 ... I'm also very grateful for this discussion. Everything you and LeeApril26 and sharonslp said resonated with me. I am so grateful for BoneSmart. Otherwise, I would feel like a circus freak for not being "all well!" at this or even earlier stages. To add to what Sharon said about the numerous "backstory" we don't always hear from people who talk about their great recoveries, I think in real life sometimes "regular people" (LOL ... I mean people who haven't had a THR) don't tell us the full story, either. Not to be mean. They just don't think. For example, relatives or friends will tell me about some museum-hopping or sightseeing vacation and don't mention how far or how long they could "go" without needing to rest, sit, etc. It sometimes turns out they didn't do as much as I could, but they didn't think to mention it. Also, I was with this coworker at a cafe where you had to climb very steep stairs to get to the seating section. He was stunned that I was planning to do it, telling me he would never attempt those stairs as they are too steep and too straight up. He's a lot younger and more fit than I am, too. But it made me realize that maybe I am expecting to do more than some people do, because i just want to know that I *can* do it.

I hope you're feeling a little better. The roller coaster ride is NOT fun. And I didn't expect this, either. I thought by now I'd be increasing my walking and light exercise to the extent that I'd be burning calories and not be paying for it in setback pain the next day. I'm going to keep telling myself that it's just too soon to expect too much, and I'm not a failure for not having the same great recoveries other people have had..... Do you know, I hurt even after I have changed the bed linens? I'm not kidding. My bed is against the wall and changing the linens means crawling around on top of the bed and it's kind of an awkward, weird workout to get the damn sheets on. I HURT afterward. How crazy is that? But it's the truth.

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Hi glynis I just watched Bill and Ben on YouTube and it took me right back to my pre school days.The narrator has such a plumy BBC accent it reminded me of a Harry Enfield comedy sketch.I don't think today's children would be very impressed especially as they have so many channels to choose from nowadays but that was all we had when we were kids along with "Andy Pandy" and the "Woodentops" of course.I agree Littleweed is not much of a role model for today's modern woman LOL.

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Hi Nannyannie, I couldn't agree with you more walking like Bill and Ben is far preferable to being in a wheelchair and we have to be very grateful to be to walk again even if we are not yet scaling Everest or doing the Great North Run.I am sure the muscle aches will eventually subside even if it takes longer than anticipated.Life can only get better.Thank you for your positivity.

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Hi Peaches It sounds like our recoveries are very similar and we both expected to be further on than we are but I think you are right when you say that we are possible expecting too much and need to scale back our expectations as long as there is some improvement however small.They say it can take a year to recover for some and now I realise that is the case.It is frustrating as I long to be active and to be able to manage a cardiovascular workout for my long term health and to burn some extra calories.Before I had my op I decided to loose some weight by attending Slimming World and about a month before the surgery I reached my target weight.I found that I continued to loose weight immediately afterwards but my motivation has gone now due to the problems with pain that follows exercise so the weight has crept back on.I find that I feel fine during exercise but the pain kicks in later.On a positive note I am walking so much better than I was Preop now the bone on bone pain has gone and can walk further without resting.Lets hope that our soft tissues will soon settle down and we can really benefit from our new hips.Take care.

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Well the six month anniversary has been and gone and although I am much better than I was preop and the operated side is on the whole ok with occasional groin pain only but it is the other side which is now giving me problems.The pain is in the hip,groin lower back on that side and in the knee and at times below the knee and I must say that the left side reminds me of how the right side used to be before I had the new hip.My dilemma is that I had an X-ray 3 months ago and the OS reported that the left side was ok. I had no pain then and all the discomfort at that time was from the groin strain on the right side.The knee pain kicked in shortly after that appointment.The Nurse Practioner at the GP surgery did not think it necessary to bring the December OS appointment forward as the X-ray was ok so she has referred me to the Muscular Skeletal Clinic to have the knee assessed and my appointment is next Tuesday.I am sure that the left side has deteriorated but I am coping with the pain this time better as I had a torn labrum on the operated side which made made the hip pain much worse.

On the positive side my ROM is very good and I have managed to more or less stop the ibuprofen and use paracetamol only.I am waiting for the results of the renal function test I had yesterday so I will be relieved to hear that my kidney have survived long term use of anti inflammatories.

I have stopped doing exercise as whatever I did seemed to result in muscle pain which lasted for days.I do short walks on level ground and 15 minutes 2-3 times a week on a stationary bike.I am confused regarding exercise as even the basic ones that are recommended immediately postop seemed to exacerbate the muscle soreness.Maybe if I kept them going things would improve but I am now waiting for an opinion from the physio I am seeing on Tuesday.I must point out that the exercises feel ok when I am doing them but the pain starts after a few hours.

It sounds ridiculous but I would be pleased to hear that I do need a new hip on the left side and would actually welcome going through the operation again if that's what is needed and if that is the case then the sooner the better.I have to remember that 3 years have gone by since I first developed hip pain and that I am 3 years older so other aches and pains are normal for me and most other 57 year olds.

sharonslp

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I was in the same position, Kim. While xrays showed both my hips with severe deterioration, it was the right hip that yelled about it, so I had that one done first. In less than a year, the left hip began speaking up, and I was astonished at how rapidly it began to go in that downward spiral. I didn't hesitate to schedule surgery as soon as I could. Surgery was easy for me both times, and I am glad it's over and done with.

Now....both hips over 1 and 2 years out, and the hips are great. But the long-standing....I now suspect chronic....tendonitis type of muscle/soft tissue pain is still sticking around. So the moral of the story is that THR usually does a great job of fixing the actual hip pain, but it won't necessarily fix everything.

In the meantime, the general philosophy around here is: if it hurts, don't do it. PT can be a double-edged sword. Are you walking without pain? Without a limp? If so, what is the purpose of more PT? You seem to be saying that the operated side is functioning well, and it's the other side that is generating pain. If you're going to replace the other side soon, then just do that and go from there. If the other side is painful but NOT calling for a THR, then will PT help that side? If yes....great. If no....don't go.

Do keep in mind as well that at 6 months you are only halfway at best to full recovery. It could take up to two years. So you have another 6-18 months in which healing will continue to take place and work its magic. I will join you in hoping that your other hip is indeed ready to be replaced. Not ridiculous at all.

Sharon

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Thank you sharonslp I do walk without a limp but Its not that great.I think you are right about the PT and what I need is another X-ray to check out the left side and if the arthritis has got worse an earlier appointment with the OS for him to schedule a THR.The waiting list with the NHS is at least 3 months from the consultation so if I wait until December to see him I will have to wait until March at the earliest so an earlier appointment would be most welcome.I do take your point about THR not fixing everything and that soft tissue inflammation is very common with us hippies and that I am only 6 months so there is more healing to take place.It just seems that my recovery has currently stalled.How do you manage your tendinitis ?

Peaches

graduate
Country
Hi, Kim22 ... wow, your 6-month report is hauntingly similar to what I would say if I were writing mine. Which I won't write until another week, I think. I don't think it's strange at all that you would prefer that all the pain DOES mean a THR. I feel the same way!

I know you are seeing a physio next Tues., but what about getting new X-rays of your other hip? Are you going to do that despite what that nurse said about not needing new X-rays? Funny ... my OS's PA didn't seem to want to start with X-raying the other hip again, either.

When you say you walk without a limp but it's not that great, do you mean your gait? Is it because the other hip is hurting and you are now kind of starting to limp again?

That you have great ROM and can bicycle at all sounds good to me, and like Sharon said, you're still just six months out. Still, I understand wanting to get to the bottom of what's going on with the other hip.

Like you, extra exercise results in pain afterward, not during. I am still doing walking only. When it's good (early in the day/lunchtime) it is really good, and I feel so happy. But that's mainly because the operated hip is doing so well. It is now carrying the lead with the other hip.

It's a little overwhelming to think about doing all this agian, BUT this time we will have the benefit of knowing what it's like. I think that will make it easier to go into the surgery.

Hang in there. Please keep us posted. Sharon has some excellent advice, I think. Take care.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Kim22... I so relate... I have a second hip which radiologically demonstrates on the x-rays that it needed replacing when I had my right hip operated on.. I saw my OS a year ago and we booked the surgery date and then when he compared the historical x-rays he said ... 'Mmmm.. yes, it needs replacing , but it hasn't deteriorated for the past year, so lets wait and see if we can have lots of catching up to do. Lots of new members. onto your native hip for another hip.....'

Well 22 months post my RTHR, I am still 'navel gazing' as to whether get my left hip replaced or wait until it starts to hurt consistently... If I do go ahead with the left hip my RTHR will be 31 months strong...

:)

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Kim22 , I read on Peaches thread that you are having renal function tests conducted..

I contracted Chronic Kidney Disease from taking NSAIDs and have only 40 % renal function..

Do you know what your Creatinine nd eGFR levels were on your last test? I am keen to follow your results :)

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Peaches Sorry not to reply earlier but we have just returned home from a weekend away.I only limp for the first few steps when I first get up from sitting but I do work hard to maintain a satisfactory gait.I used to walk with a very poor gait without realising it with my bottom stuck out which I think is fairly typical of a person with hip problems so I had a gait analysis and learnt how to walk correctly.If I did have a prolonged limp it would be time to get the old walking sticks out again.The hips still ache even though my gait is ok if that makes sense ? My appointment on Tuesday is with a Physio Practitioner who can order X-rays so I really hope he orders one and an MRI scan if possible.You never know he may arrange an earlier appointment with the OS too.I think that it will be great just to talk through my issues with a professional again and he may just tell me its early days and there is still a lot of healing to take place or come up with an exercise plan that doesn't result in so much muscle pain which would be reassuring.I don't relish the thought of a second hip replacement either but it would be so worth it.I hope you had a good weekend and have seen some improvement.

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Hi Poppet Thank you for your interest in my situation and I am so sorry to hear about your kidney function problems from taking NSAIDs.I will get the test results tomorrow and will let you know the numbers.I had the last test a couple of weeks before surgery but just accepted gladly that they were within normal limits but I will ask them to be more specific tomorrow.I have not taken any Ibuprofen for 5 days and have just relied on paracetamol for pain relief.I have been in some discomfort over the weekend but we have been away at my sister in laws which involved a 270 mile trip in the car so I can't expect anything else can I ? We had a fantastic time so it was worth it.

My opinion on your own situation for what it is worth is to go ahead now and have the other hip done because you plan to retire next year and you will enjoy it better with 2 good hips especially as you have the lovely beach side house to look forward to.

Peaches

graduate
Country
Hi, Kim22 ... gosh, no apologies necessary. Sounds like a wonderful weekend, despite the long car trip. So glad you had such a good time.

I'm glad you had gait training. That sounds wonderful & would have loved that. Limping when first getting up is a chronic problem for me, too. I am one of the ones who gets very stiff very fast when I sit, but learned on BoneSmart that that can occur for some people, so am trying not to worry about it. Funny thing about limps. This coworker on Friday said to me he didn't think I had "a pronounced limp." And I was dying to say, "But I don't have a limp at all!" I didn't get a chance. Hoping he wasn't saying I still have a limp, as I don't feel a limp. EXCEPT nowadays, with the other hip! Just today I thought about taking out and dusting off my CANE and using it in the operated hip side's hand, to help with pain in the other hip.

You are right in that it will be good for you to talk to a professional again and ask questions and get some solutions and ideas. We do seem to be in the same boat these days. Funny thing is, it almost seems to me that having another THR would be easier than trying to fix enigmatic "soft tisssue inflammation."

This time next week you will have more info, the blood tests and X-rays, at the least, and you know what they say about "knowledge is power." My fingers are crossed, of course, that the blood tests yield nothing bad.

My weekend was pretty high on the pain scale--mainly the lower back screaming and screaming after walking only 15 minutes. And the other hip. But the weather was nice, so I went to a flea market and had lunch with a friend and explained I had to stop to rest. Needed 2 extra-strength Tylenol & 2 Advil; did around 8,000 steps. Okay now, but that lower back pain in the moment is intolerable. Hope to get answers, but won't have new X-rays till a couple more weeks.

Hang in there, Kim. Let us know what you hear. Have a good week.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Hi Kim22, looking forward to hearing those numbers. It is a good idea to keep a medical file of your own sometimes, for example I get a copy of all my path reports and can compare myself.. Not sure if you can do that in the UK but I would imagine you could after all it is your personal information..

Hope you had a good time visiting :) love from down under x

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Kim22 , I read on Peaches thread that you are having renal function tests conducted..

I contracted Chronic Kidney Disease from taking NSAIDs and have only 40 % renal function..

Do you know what your Creatinine nd eGFR levels were on your last test? I am keen to follow your results :)
Thank you for asking Poppet The kidneys seem to be ok Creatinine was 66 (normal range 50-110)
eGFR result/1.73m2 The normal range was not given on the print out but the Nurse Practioner who gave me the results said it was fine.
That's the good news however the liver function test showed a raised Alanine Aminotransferase which is an enzyme it was 57 normal is 0-40
The Nurse thought that the anti inflammatories were the most likely culprit and I need it redoing in 3 months.She didn't think that paracetamol was a problem as long as I was taking the correct dose.
I had an elevated random blood sugar too so I need a fasting blood glucose next week.

I was wondering about taking Milk Thistle to help cleanse the liver .Do you think this might help ?

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Poppet I requested a printout of the results so I have a record for myself, I can take time reading them and comparing them.

Poppet

Nutritional Advisor
Country
Australia Australia
Kim22 - excellent honey.. Have to log off now take care, I will be thinking of you :)

OP
OP
Kim22

Kim22

supremo
Country
Hi Poppet I hope you are ok.I was wondering if you have had a chance to look at my blood results which I posted yesterday ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ScottBGKY
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom