THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi LeeApril26 and sandybeach The rest seems to have helped the left hip a little but the knee is still not good but I am now having discomfort in the right (operated ) side again would you believe it.I am really not sure what is going on.The right groin,outer hip and even the buttock is sore.As I sit here the ache is mainly in the bone of the hip which is prominent on the outer side.From what I have read it seems like bursitis.Yes resting is driving me nuts as it is now 5 months since my surgery and instead of progressing I am going backwards.I thought I would be walking as much as I wanted to within reason of course by now.Its very sad.If I have to have the left side done then bring it on as long as I can get my life back again which is the reason we all go through this surgery.
 
Kim22 I hope you can figure out what's going on with the pain you're feeling so you can get on with life. I do have to say my second hip is a little more sensitive than the first one I had operated on. I keep thinking it's because it's the last one have surgery and just hasn't caught up. There's alittle more achy to it and the ROM isn't as good. I am thinking about joining a beginners class for yoga to see if that helps get it back to flexing better.
 
sandybeach That sounds like a good idea or Pilates is something else that you could consider.Your experience of having two different experiences of hip replacement demonstrates that each recovery is very individual and will take as long as it takes.
 
Kim22 exactly:wink: My right hip that has some occasional pain if I move it too much or the wrong way, was my worse hip so it probably needs the most pampering. I do whatever I want to do, it doesn't slow me down but I just know it's more sensitive.
 
sandybeach I still have issues with my first hip 8 months down the line. It aches more than the left hip. It complains when I try and lift the knee when dressing etc. Still its nothing like the pain I had pre surgery so I can cope with it.
 
Elosarabrab Yeah same here, it's nothing like before but just sometimes it gives me the reminder that it's there. I feel and hope by doing yoga it will help it settle in and be good. How are you doing otherwise? I saw you had or have a job interview, I hope that comes out good for you.
 
Kim22. I am really sorry the pain is spreading. Though you may well have OA on the non operated side, the pain on the side of the new hip, too, makes it sound like something else is going on. I'm sorry if I'm not remembering, but is your appointment in late September? Seems like a long wait. Are you able to take anything for the pain?
sandybeach. I started yoga once a week a couple of weeks ago- my third class is on Friday. It seems to be helping stretch out my leg muscles, which are very tight. Not helping the knee pain at all-I think the tight hamstrings are a factor. Trying to stretch at home.
This recovery is hard.
 
LeeApril26 This recovery time is hard. My legs hadn't been able to move the right way in such a long time now they don't want to and everything has gotten very tight for me too. The OS told my husband that he had problems with my second surgery because it was so tight. I know I have to do something to get more ROM in my legs. It's better than before surgery and has come a long ways but it has come from hardly being able to move much to where it is now which seems huge to me but not what it should be. It's encouraging to hear that yoga is helping you, I hope you continue to improve.
 
sandybeach. Thanks. I was also wondering about Tai Chi-have you ever tried it? My ROM is okay but the tight hamstrings and quads are causing significant knee pain especially on the right side. Went for an APOS therapy eval yesterday. It is very expensive to enroll and not covered by insurance. TeeEm did it pre surgery for her knees and it helped but now her pain is back. Wish I could wave a magic wand on all of us.
Have you tried hamstring and quad stretches?
 
Kim22 It must be so frustrating for you. Have you tried myofascial ? spelling massage ? . Its not something I know a lot about but I know it helped someone I know that had a hip replacement last year and developed tendonitis/bursitis quite badly. maybe a massage would release any scar tissue you might have and relax tight muscles and they do something with painful trigger points apparently. It might be worth a try. I think I might try one myself if I can find someone who does it.
 
Kim22 oh I'm sorry the op side is now acting up-- do you think it might be simply because when the other hip and the knee were hurting, you asked the op hip for too much support, but didn't know it till now? It's all very confusing, and I want that magic wand to wave, too! :)
 
Hello, Kim22. I am SO sorry about your troubles. I can actually empathize with much of what you say.
The non-op hip is almost constantly in pain. The op hip feels basically okay, but I have started having pains there, too, where I didn't before. Oh, dear. Are you able to take any classes such as what the others are mentioning? (I cannot, but hope that's not the case for you.) I'm just really sorry.

LeeApril26, I'm sorry if I am saying something a little down, but when I investigated Tai Chi prior to surgery, I discovered there is something called "Tai Chi Knee" to be concerned about. I'm guessing you could tell your instructor about your knees and perhaps do modified positions. If you haven't researched this, perhaps Google it? I spoke to a "master" (I think that's the title) in the Times Square area who had classes a year or so ago and perhaps still does? I was having knee pain and he seemed a little wary about me being in the class. But he then said he had people in the class before who were quite infirm, so maybe it is doable. Sorry for hijacking the thread, but wanted you to know this in case you did not. I always thought Tai Chi seemed very interesting to pursue, and relaxing.
 
Gee, Peaches. That's all I need. Tai Chi knee? Will google but really think I'll stick to yoga. I just skip the positions that seem risky. Thanks so much.
 
Hi Peaches Nice to hear from you.Sorry that you are having some issues as well, isn't it frustrating? We all want our active lives back and have gone through major surgery and roller coaster ride of recovery and still can't do what we would like to do or at least without consequences.I am waiting to be assessed before I try any classes but I am open to try anything.I tried resting and taking Tramadol last week but it made no difference so now I am doing the exercises Firebrand was given by her physio which are very gentle and really helped her bursitis.Frankly, I don't know what is going on as the aches and pain keep switching from side to side and location to location.I too wish someone would just wave their magic wand and we all would be recovered.
 
Hi zauberflöte I think you may be right in your theory that I started to put too much pressure on the operated side too soon as the other one was hurting.How are things with you ?
 
Hi LeeApril26 I take Paracetamol 4 times a day and Ibuprofen 3 times a day.I have tried to reduce them but without success I really do need them still.
 
TeeEm, I would certainly consider Myofacial Massage but waiting to take advice from the Muscular Skeletal Clinic first.
 
Kim22 I don't doubt you need them. Bursitis sounds awful. I have been taking a prescription ibuprofen, Mobic for three years. A few months ago,I started taking turmeric. It is supposed to build up in your body and reduce the need for NSAIDS. Last week I went off the Mobic, but today I am back on. I have an appointment with my primary care doctor next week to discuss meds. My knees, "good" hip, and thumbs all hurt. The turmeric takes the edge off, but I certainly can't do as much. And, I don't think I have bursitis or IT trouble-mostly sore muscles and PA.
You were doing so well, and I was as well. Then I increased activity and all the joints hurt. I can walk, but it doesn't feel great. Hope you get some answers soon.
 
Kim22 Peaches I know next to nothing about Tai Chi (but I have a DVD that I'm going to use!) but my impression from the poses I've seen is that one takes a wide, turned out stance and then bends the knees? If done carelessly, this could cause the same problems dancers get if they produce their turnout from the feet and not the hips-- the knees torque inwards when they bend their knees.

Aha! I just googled it and it seems I might have hit on one reason: excerpted from broken link removed: https://www.patiencetaichi.com/public/207.cfm
Dealing with 'Tai Chi Knee'
William C. Phillips
Lots of people experience pain in their knees when doing Tai Chi, especially beginners. But even though this is common, it isn't "normal" or "healthy". Here are some tips on how to deal with it.




Marleen from South Africa:
"This is probably a question you have been asked many times, but I hope you will have time to explain it again. Why do so many Tai Chi students land up with sore knees?"
Thank you for your question, Marleen. There are as many reasons for knees to go bad in the practice of Tai Chi as there are practitioners with bad knees.
Some of the more common reasons are a tilting the front knee inwards in the postures instead of keeping it vertical. Another is letting the back knee hang too low, too soon.
 
Sorry for the Debbie Downer about Tai Chi Knee, LeeApril26, but thought if you are anything like me, I like to know everything before I try something for this hip / knee /everything saga (and it IS like a saga, isn't it ... episodic; an odyssey). And thanks to zauberflöte and her wonderful research, it looks like it can be surmounted! Wouldn't it be wonderful if there could be a whole cottage industry of activity specialists JUST for post-replacement patients? Kind of like that rushed pre-op surgery "class" (at my hospital, it was rushed) ... but a post-op COURSE. A school. A center. You could go there for tai chi, yoga, PT, water, biking, all kinds of exercise specifically for people in recovery. Everyone there would know that, say, at 5 months, it's okay to take this course but not that course. And of course seminars on the risks as well as benefits of herbal and OTC remedies. Maybe someone else on BS has tried Tai Chi and had good luck. I thought of you when I saw a cute stylus yesterday; it looked like an old-fashioned match stick. I now have "stylus" on my radar; hadn't thought of one before. I sure hope it is helping you with your painful thumbs.

Kim22, how are you? Am glad you have an assessment coming up and hoping you get some answers. I read your earlier posts and was so happy for you when you had that good milestone and took your long walk. I seem to be reading more and more on BoneSmart about people who are doing so well and then poof, it kind of vanishes.
I have started up the extra-strength Tylenol again, 6 tablets per day. It has made a difference. Still have erratic pain, but not quite so bad. I also have a malaise that is like the pre-op days; not sleepy tired. But spent. However, my attitude and mood (which changes daily) has rallied sometimes, into a more "hopeful" mood. I guess it's easy at times to feel hopeless, becuase we just don't know what the heck is going on. You know how BoneSmart warns us about those post-op blues and energy drain that occur in the earlier weeks of recovery? Well, I feel there is a Phase II of those things, as I am weepy and tapped out now, when I thought I'd be more upbeat. I guess it's all like the weather, though: nothing stays the same for long.

I am trying to move a little more, as in hallway walks, as sitting for long periods in my apartment (which is one room and doesn't have much floor space) is really lethal. How about you? Is gentle walking around,, for brief periods, helpful? I'm starting to rethink "walking" as a goal: Instead of length of time, maybe short but frequent walk-arounds?

Please keep us posted. Hang in there. Easier said than done, that's for sure.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom