THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Kim22 ... I was eager to see how your blood test went. It sounds like you got some good news and some less than good news ... but you will be retested and hopefully the numbers will normalize. Did your doctor say how quickly/easily one can bounce back after going off the NSAIDs? I hope you're not feeling discouraged. How is the other hip feeling this week? I saw what you wrote on ByGosh's thread today and I could have written the same words. You are and I really in the same boat these days. Do you have lower back pain too? That one is with me about 90 percent of the time. But I am still walking; frequent but short laps. Even at the office. 15-20 minutes at lunch, then the back pain acts up. Sit for lunch. Then walk another 15 minutes. Walk about 20 minutes maybe after work. Not every day. Reaching around 9000 steps. I mean, we are in a tough spot, aren't we, since we want to continue to walk and be active enough to help the op hip get stronger. But the other hip holds us back. I wasn't expecting this. But I should have, I guess. Well, thanks to BoneSmartopians, we will have plenty of role models. I keep thinking of everyone who has had both hips done at once or with little time in between. I will look to them for inspiration. Keep me posted when you have time, Kim. Hang in there.
 
Kim22, so pleased to read that your medicos are happy with your test results :)

Regarding Milk Thistle, here is a little information about the liver and the reported action of Milk Thistle

The major action of milk thistle is on the liver. The liver performs an incredible number of functions in the body. The major functions of the liver include the production of bile and the metabolism of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, fats and many other compounds used by the body. It also metabolises drugs and detoxifies numerous ingested substances as well as toxins produced by the body.

Milk thistle appears to support the liver and has an antioxidant and free radical scavenging action. This action appears to be largely due to the action of the active constituents in milk thistle which are a complex of flavanolignans collectively called silymarin.

It is reported Silymarin may help to protect the liver against toxins that cause liver damage, as well as stimulate the replacement of old and damaged cells with new liver cells.

Disclaimer: This article is for information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment. The author has taken all reasonable care in compiling this information, however, does not accept responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Hi Peaches Lovely to hear from you.The GP has requested a repeat blood test in 3 months so I guess they expect the levels to return to normal by then. However I have had to take 2 doses of Ibuprofen today as my operated hip is very sore,believe it or not! I feel it in the groin,front of thigh and in the incision.Yesterday I did 15 mins on the stationary bike but I have done that before without problems.On Tuesday I saw the physio who tested my range of movements in both hips and I am wondering if he disturbed some scar tissue from the groin strain I had at 7 weeks. I suppose only time will tell and I am really hoping it will settle down soon.He did not offer an X-ray of the left side but looked at the one taken in June and together with my reduced ROM on that side he concluded that I had early stage arthritis.I told him that the X-ray of the right side taken before my op had only showed the same but when I had the arthroscopy the OS had found bare bone.He told me that it would be unlikely that I would be offered a THR as surgery should only be carried out as a last resort.I tried to discuss the effects of being inactive now for 3 years on my general health and that I was well aware of the risks associated with surgery but I was willing to take the risk to get my active life back as after all I was only 57.His reply was to reassure me that my appointment with the OS would come round quick enough.I came out feeling that the appointment was a complete waste of time and wishing that I hadn't bothered.The only good thing was he agreed that hip strengthening exercises should help and he has referred me to a physio to supervise the exercise programme.

I do get a bit of backache but it isn't a major problem. The left sided pain effects my whole thigh and knee as well as my left side.Sorry to hear that you are suffering with back pain as it is difficult to get comfortable when it hits.

You are managing to do a lot of walking throughout the day which is good.I am going backwards with my walking and only manage to do about 4000 steps a day which is a lot less than I used to do.I have spent a lot of time with Mum this week but luckily she seem to be a bit better today. She has carers going in three times a day which will really help.

When do you see your OS again ? I hope its soon and you get another X-ray. and some answers from him.It is great having you to talk to as I feel you understand what I am going through.I am really pleased to hear the others success stories but I guess I wish I was one of them.
 
Hi, Kim22 ... how are you? I hope you aren't feeling too anxious about the blood test. It does sound like they expect it to go down in three months. I hope the recent pain in the groin and elsewhere is better. Maybe some of that was from the stationary bike and going to the physio, getting on and off the table, the physio moving you around? For whatever it's worth, I tried my small pedaler and was extremely sore afterward. I am waiting to start trying that again. I have read on Bonesmart about other THR patients who have had pain when cycling. I am SO sorry you felt the appointment was a waste of time. I know how that feels. Why is it that these people don't recognize that the joint space can deteriorate quickly, as we have read about here on Bonesmart? So you have to wait until Dec. to see the OS and have X-rays, is that right? I still get a little confused about the protocol on your side of the pond.

I too have had recent pain on the op-hip side! LOL. It's not funny, actually. I'm not too worried. Figure it's soreness from walking too much on some days? I try to moderate my walking. On the days that I have a high number of steps on my pedometer it's because I have taken very frequent but very short laps around the office. I also use the heating pad and ice. On the day following that I do much fewer steps. The lower back can hurt all day long without letup; then the next day less so. The other hip always hurts when I go up steps. The past couple days I have felt that I am limping or listing, toddling from side to side a little bit when I walk. All because of the other hip. Sigh.


Someday we will be better than we are now, Kim, I do think that's true. But I know it's discouraging when it appears that others at our stage are living in the land of lollipops and roses in terms of pain and mobility.

Oct. I am having blood tests to see if the Tylenol and Advil (which I added back in last week, just like you) have done any damage. I also will see a back specialist for an exam; then will see my OS for Xrays on the other hip.

All I know to suggest for us both is to keep moving, but not too long? Very short but frequent walk-abouts as tolerated. Ice, of course. But I keep forgetting that heat can help too, sometimes. And a ton of patience. We are only six months out. We are not taking prescription painkillers. So maybe some of this is not unusual. I wish i had something more intelligent to offer. Please keep me posted, Kim. Hang in there. Hope you have a good and less painful weekend.
 
Hi Peaches Sorry about the delay in replying to your kind post but to tell you the truth I have been a bit fed up recently so not wanting to post just reading other people's threads.Since I last posted I have completely stopped the Ibuprofen and boy have had a lot of grumbling from my operated side which is now very sore in the whole hip.It is not too pleasant and I am hoping itsmy body's reaction to discontinuing the NSAIDs and it will settle down again soon.I overdid things at 7 weeks and after icing my hip had to get up to go to the loo resulting in a bad twist to the hip,probably due to twisting a tired and cold muscle.The result was weeks of groin tendinitis but it did gradually improve but I feel that the aches are due to soft tissue inflammation once again.

I have to wait until December to see my OS as nobody so far has felt it necessary to bring the appointment forward and even if they did now it is unlikely that I would see him before my appointment.The UK Health service is great but there are always a lot of patients waiting to be seen.There is a long waiting list to see a physio too on the NHS.I could see one privately but worry In case they make things worse which would not please the OS.

The left side is still bad but the pain in the right side is now worse.I am still taking paracetamol on a regular basis and do not have any intension of risk g my general health by going back on it.I should have mentioned that I also had some bleeding from an old haemorrhoid and the GP feels it was caused by the anti inflammatories so two good reasons to stop them.

On the positive side I am better than I was before surgery and I am hoping that the right side will improve once the Ibuprofen is out of my system. I am having my own personal pity party so did not feel I the right frame of mind to post.I think you mentioned earlier that on good days when you can walk without pain you feel so elated and dare to hope that things will only get better from then on but are soon brought back down in the depths of despondency when the pain returns and walking is not so good.I so identify with these extremes of emotions.

I hope you are managing to keep up with your walking and the back pain has eased.
 
Kim22 Peaches it is so common to have to have both hips done. Before I had my second hip replaced I was with you guys in the pain and depression area. All I wanted was to finally be pain free. I couldn't imagine life without pain before my operations. I am so glad that I now have had both done and I experience little to no pain although I am having some muscle pain in my left leg...I over did it this past weekend so hopefully that gets better soon but if that's all I will ever have to complain about, I'm doing pretty good.
 
sandybeach I am so glad that you are having minimal pain now after your second hip has been replaced and I agree with you that It is very common for the other hip to deteriorate after having the first one done.I would be very glad to have the other one sorted and the sooner the better I only hope that my OS is in agreement.I hope you enjoyed the 2 weddings over the weekend and I would love to see some photos on FB.
 
Kim22 I will post some pictures of the wedding on FB. I suppose the ones that are floating around you're not able to see. I think once you get the other hip sorted out you will feel 100% again. I hope this happens soon for you. Every time I get up from a chair or need to go up or down stairs I always think about the pain that used to cause. I truly felt I would never be pain free again so I know that you will feel the way I do once you get that other hip fixed. Maybe I was lucky that both of mine were shot from the beginning, although I didn't think that way then.
 
Hi, Kim22, no apologies necessary--ever. Just write when you feel you are up to it. I completely understand the fed up feeling and/or not feeling like I want to post what's going on. At six months out I fear I'm like that person who stays too long at the party. But I'm stumped about how to tackle the various pains and keep hoping to find some answers here. And I'd like to cheer on anyone else like everyone has cheered me on. Your health care system does have its plusses and minuses. It's a shame you can't see a private OS for X-rays without worrying about it messing up seeing your original OS in December. As you know, our health care system is just peachy keen. :)
I decided to stop the Tylenol this week, as a test. Well, I am quite sore everywhere. So that's that. What did i prove? Not much. Every day is a mental renegotiation as to what "quality of life" means and how to make the best of the less painful moments. Stairs are becoming a problem again, due to the good hip going bad, so now I am concerned if I stop doing stairs, I will jeopardize the recovery of the operated hip. Wish there were some way to get an answer to questions like this. I know you understand. I have not abandoned hope by a long shot, and I hope you have not, either. We are just taking longer, and we are not the only ones who have.

Thanks, sandybeach, for your thoughts. I'm very happy to hear that you are doing so well. And I'm impressed with how close your two operations were. That took a lot of guts. So glad you are reaping the rewards of it, and that you are able to figure out what the occasional pain comes from--the infamous "overdoing it." Take care and keep us posted on your continued pain-free new life.
 
Peaches Gosh you put it so well when you said that you felt like a guest hanging around too long at the end of the party when all the other guests have departed happily and are just getting on with life.I feel just the same.Its hard to be a party pooper and I would love to post something positive for a change instead of moaning but to tell you the truth I am nowhere near where I thought I would be at this stage when I set out on this journey.Maybe the first hip was left too long before being replaced which has resulted in weak soft tissues or maybe the other side has really deteriorated and is not supporting the operated leg with its soft tissue problems or possibly its a combination of both.I realise of course that I did too much early on but it felt so good to be able to walk pain free after being inactive for so long I think we both need our other hips replacing very soon.

Sounds like you still need your Tylenol as I do.i will try without it again but not yet as I think my body is still coming to terms with not having the benefit of Ibuprofen.Having said all that today is not as bad as yesterday but I am refusing to get carried away down the false positive road and setting off on a walk.I will leave it today and see how things are tomorrow.It is unpleasant out there today with the rain so I am not missing anything staying in and resting.You are right about getting the balance right between doing too much and not doing enough right.It is a tough one.

We are going to see my daughter and baby grandson next week and looking after him over night Tuesday so its a blessing my husband will be there to lend a hand and pick him up as he is so heavy now.We then plan to go on to Liverpool for a couple of nights ( all being well with the hip(s) as my husband was born there and would like to visit the places he lived as a toddler.So I have plenty to look forward to.My mother is really improving after her fall 3 weeks ago which is a blessing.

Our NHS has its drawbacks mainly in the length of waiting lists but it is a British institution of which we are very grateful.It has been around since 1948 and ensures that free health care is available to all regardless of income.Of course we have contributed for all our working life in taxes.I think the advantage of your system is you have more say about the timing of surgery rather than having to join a queue.

Thank you for your support and let me know how you get on with the recovery.I do hear what is said on here about it taking a year but I expected to see some progress however small rather than feeling that things are going backwards but that said, like you I haven't given up hope.
 
Hi, Kim22 ... I am so happy to hear your mother is getting better after her fall and I apologize for not asking about her sooner. I find it hard to go back and reread prior pages without losing what I'm writing. I remain The Village Idiot when posting here. I'm sure a visit next week with your grandbaby will lift your spirits enormously. Something "normal" and in the "life goes on" category. I know what you mean about not wishing to "moan." And maybe I am about to embark on A Big Rationalization, but I keep hoping or wanting to to think that BoneSmart is for us, too? Not just the big success stories, and not just the horrible setbacks and terrible problems. But people in between? Still, I hate to moan. Yet I have moaned a lot this week at home alone. Worried about continued, near-constant soreness; the back pains from hell; and whatever is behind "door number 3," which I suspect is The Other Hip is Going Downhill. I noticed last night pain in the left hip that felt just like the bone spur pain I had in the right. (I like the use of the past tense "had"; at least that is something good!) Well, Kim, the jury is out, as they say. We just don't know what's going to be what. But can't lose hope that this is all part of the mysterious "process" and ALSO can't lose hope that there is a logical explanation--and a fixable one, at that. It could be all of this is directly linked to The Other Hip. I hope between now and December you are able to find various temporary pain-management tools to help you. And come here for moral support, too.

Oh, about the health care comment. I was being very sarcastic when I said the U.S.'s system is peachy. Ours is a bloody mess, and our dunderheads in Congress are not helping. I admire the UK's and Canada's systems, though I gather there are some drawbacks about waiting lists. But I hope our system can follow those examples. I do worry about the red tape messing up the implementation of the new health care plan; as well as political hijinks trying to derail it. By the way, I think my hip's price tag was/is around $100,000. I am not kidding. I had a $500 copayment; plus a million $40 copayments every time I sneezed. But if I've read the statements correctly from the hospital, surgeon, and all other cast of characters, it appears to be at 100 big ones. Un bloody believable.

I have to log off now and take care of some business, but will return at some point and figure out how to give my Six-Month State of the Hip Address over on my thread.

Fingers are crossed your hip and related parts gives you a break this weekend, Kim! Take care.
 
Kim22 I've been MIA but now have a few more minutes to try to catch up with a few people. While we were on vacation/holiday last month, I felt a great kinship with you as I KEPT doing "one too many" of something and having to cut back. I never did get to walk my two miles twice a day-- didn't even walk two miles at once! One mile twice a day, I can do.

And now I come here to read that you're having to drop your ibuprofen-- what a huge bummer. Speaking from experience, that will affect your pain level greatly :sad: I am very fortunate to be taking a blood pressure/heart med that actually offers protection to the kidneys (and eyes, and some other organs too! they give it to diabetics to protect their kidneys, also) so I am not as nervous about continuing my use of ibuprofen. Sure would be nice if it could be approved for people who are having bloodwork scares!

How did you survive the babysitting time and Liverpool? And I'm glad to hear of your mother's improvement!
 
Hi zauberflöte How lovely to hear from you again and especially good to hear how well you are doing including having moments when you forget about your hip.That is a very good sign.I think that walking for a mile twice a day is good and probably more beneficial than walking further once a day.I hope you enjoyed your vacation on the beautiful Cape Cod.Did you try out the kayak ?

I am still doing "one too many" of different things and then having to scale back the activity.The babysitting went well as Jack is such a joy.He is now 11 months and developing rapidly.He is crawling and walking round the furniture and is as quick as lightening so we needed eyes in the back of our heads as you can imagine.He slept all night which was a real blessing.We are looking after him for 5 nights at the end of the month as my daughter and SIL are having a break in New York so wish us luck.Liverpool was great and luckily both my hips were on good form for the duration of our visit which was great as we walked for hours including inclines and cobble stones.We visited the childhood homes of Paul McCartney and John Lennon which were very interesting.I felt wonderful being able to walk around like everyone else but expected a backlash however I was fine the next day so attempted a 3 mile walk yesterday on a level railway line yesterday near to our home and I am in more pain today.In both hips.I am hoping it is just temporary and it will settle down again in a day or two.

I have totally stopped the Ibuprofen and have to rely on only Paracetamol which only helps a little.The 2 together were more effective and would have been better for my ? Arthritic left hip.I have to have my liver enzymes rechecked in December.


How are the wedding plans coming on? Please stay in touch and post when you get a minute.
 
Kim22 I was just catching up on your thread, and was glad you had a chance to be with your grand-baby and tour Liverpool, though sorry for the "one thing too many" reaction. I have those as well.

I have a question regarding the pain killers. As I think you know I had elevated renal levels, possibly because of the Mobic/ibuprofen I have been taking for three years. I was told that ibuprofen can cause kidney problems, and that Tylenol/paracetamol can cause liver problems if you take too much. I am confused that with liver issues you have been told to take Paracetamol. I am wondering what your medical advisors may have said. I am at the moment avoiding both, but would dearly like to be able to take something on the days the "good" hip hurts.

Nice to hear that your daughter and SIL will be visiting NY at the end of the month. If they are unfamiliar with NYC and need info, please feel free to PM me, I'd be happy to help if I can.
 
Kim22 LeeApril26 This site is fun in many ways, now Kim you can tell your daughter if she needs to know anything about NYC you have connections...lol. Sorry to read about both you and Peaches and the pain you both are in. I still believe in take it easy but if your pain is coming from a hip that needs replacing, there's only way to go to take care of that pain. I know the wait for surgery seems a life time but once you get that surgery date all will go so much better. I am glad your time spent with your grandson went well. They are active at that age but so much fun too. It's an important time for bonding that will last a lifetime.
 
Hi LeeApril26 I was also under the impression that anti inflammatories can cause renal problems and paracetamol is associated with liver problems but I was advised to discontinue Ibuprofen straight away as the GP said in her experience a raised Serum Alanine Aminotransferase level was usually due to medication in particularly anti inflammatories.I asked if it was the same for Paracetamol but she told me it was quite safe as long as I did not exceed the recommended dose.I saw the nurse today and asked her opinion and she said the same thing.I took Naproxen for 2 years until my surgery and then Ibuprofen, it worked really well combined with paracetamol so I do miss it.In the UK elderly patients are actively encouraged to take paracetamol regularly as it is supposed to help to prevent dementia and it is supposed to be safe but who knows as they are always changing their minds.It might be worth ringing your doctor to enquire about taking Tylenol when your "good hip" is painful.

Thank you so much for your offer to help out my daughter and SIL when they visit New York I will let them know and will get in touch if necessary.It gives me peace of mind that I have a contact in the city.It is very kind of you.This will be my daughters 4th visit ; she did one business trip and this is there 3rd holiday there.It is their favourite city and are really looking forward to going again.I only hope the attractions have reopened by then.My husband and visited in October2010 which was wonderful but it was during that visit that I started to notice my hip painWe walked across the Brooklyn Bridge (after walking all the way from Battery Park ) and I was having to stop about every 5 minutes to rest.The pain at that time was due to a torn labrum but I didn't know it.If I ever get 2 working pain free hips I plan to return there as there is so much to see and experience.
 
sandybeach,Yes it was lovely spending time with our grandson and we both real closer to him for the experience.It must be lovely for you to be a lot more active when spending time with your grandchildren.I feel that the pain from the "good hip" is very similar to what I experienced in the operated leg especially the knee and groin so I really hope I get a date for the second replacement when I see my OS in 2 months but nothing is certain.He may recommend a cortisone injection first.The other problem I have is that last time the X-Ray did not show up the full extent of the hip deterioration because the arthritis was patchy.It was only when I had an arthroscopy that the true state of my hip was revealed.As Peaches said it feels like we are in the Twilight Zone between 2 hip replacements and cannot benefit from the operated hip because of the state of the other one.It was nice to hear from you and I am so glad that your ops were a complete success and you are living life to the full once more.
 
Kim22 Thanks so much for explaining the Tylenol/NSAIDs info. They do talk of heart and stomach risks with NSAIDS, but not kidney or liver. In the US there is lots of coverage of Tylenol overdoses, and no coverage that it may help prevent Alzheimer's. My mom had Alzheimer's so I am always looking for things to do to prevent it. Will discuss it with my doctor. I have taken it a time or two, but there is so much bad press.
It sounds like your daughter is an expert in NYC by now, but should they want a contact, let me know. I don't think they will find too much closed, other than the Statue of Liberty. The state is trying to fund a reopening, but don't know if they've gotten permission yet. The big concern is that the NYC Marathon on 11/3 is supposed to start at a fort on Staten Island which is currently closed by the insanity in Washington. So, 50,000 runners, including my son and his wife in LA, have no starting point.
Most other interesting locations in NYC are funded by the city and state. The museums, theaters, etc. should all be open, though there may be bankers jumping from windows if we go into default. (I hope I'm kidding.)
 
Kim22, I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time in Liverpool and could get around with the best of them.
(I would have loved see John's & Paul's boyhood homes.) And the quality time with your grandson, too ... how lovely for you. I'm sure it did a lot for your spirits during this weird time of not knowing when the other shoe, that is hip, is going to drop. You can PM me as well in ref to your daughter & SIL's trip here. Autumn is a beautiful time to visit....
Oh, as for Tylenol, the recent scary stories in the news seemed to be all about people inadvertently overdoing on it rather than anything else. The reports I heard said nothing new to report in terms of bad side effects; just that they were planning on enlarging the warning on the bottles since no one seems to read the current tiny type, and no one seems to realize that they are overdoing since it is contained in other OTC stuff like cough suppressants or some such things. That's all.

I'll post an update on my thread when I've got all the info in regarding my hip Xrays and back Xrays & MRI; plus bloodwork from the doctor. I want to get answers so I know how to do the right thing to promote recovery in my op hip without messing up my left one. Am trying to figure out what kind of exercise will be the safest and smartest, for recovery and for weight loss.

Have a lovely weekend. Hope you are not having too much pain.
 
Hello miss Kim. Thought I would pop in and say hello. I am sorry you have been having pain. Sometimes it seems as if it is never ending. Is it possible to see your OS sooner? I have some pain in my left hip also. My X-ray looks pretty good, but like you, I have the bone on bone in a very focalized areas that cannot be seen on the X-ray. I am hoping that my left side holds out for a while.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom