Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Liveringer It is so easy to overdo things when we start to improve with painful consequences as you have found out but luckily it was short lived I made the same mistake last weekend but on top of that I twisted my hip awkwardly by not thinking about what I was doing which has caused this episode of groin muscle strain I suspect I had overused the muscles and they were weak causing the injury. I will see my GP on Monday as the area is still very sore despite rest and Anti inflammatories. So easy does it and take care not to twist the hip
 
Hi sandybeach Nice to hear from you and that you are doing so well with hip number 2 You seem to have a very sensible approach to your recovery and its paying off. With reflection I made 2 errors 1) overdoing the walking because it felt so good and 2) Twisting my hip. Awkwardly on tired muscles and now I am paying the price So you are so right to limit the walking at this stage.I feel another pity party coming on.
 
Kim, sorry you're hip is talking back to you like a teenager... I hope the rest and warm packs help. Did I read right that you did 25 miles? I'm not sure at your stage I would even consider 2.5 miles. If I didn't have my foot issue, I'd only be doing about 1.5 a day or maybe 2-4 if it was a planned outing. Good that you're resting things for the moment.

:console2:
 
Hi dede62 It was a 25 mile car journey that I made as a passenger last Monday that I was referring to. I don't think I walked much more than a mile at a time last weekend which the physio recommended Sure I did too much walking combined with standing around too long chatting to people at church but the problem was caused by twisting my hip awkwardly so a bad combination of activities which has really put my recovery back. I believe that my groin muscles weakened by the surgery were fatigued by too much activity and then damaged by the twisting movement. It's a shame I didn't have this wisdom before I made these errors isn't ?
 
I can so relate to all these recent posts. Seems we reach a point in recovery when we feel much fitter than we really are and we go with the temptation to overdo it! Guilty as charged!
I had my weekly massage today and my therapist suggested Arnica...come in a cream and also homeopathic drops! Apparently great to assist with inflammation. She also suggests magnesium.
On my list to buy tomorrow. What's to lose?
 
Whew, Kim. Any car ride over about 20 minutes can be hard for a little while. Like Poppet said, sometimes you have to push the boundaries to see where you really are. Now you know. Experience will help you get to and through the next boundary. Still slow and steady...
 
Hi Maeve You have hit the nail on the head when you say,"...we feel much fitter than we really are and the temptation is to over do things" I am already taking magnesium tablets but will look into Arnica as you say What's to loose
 
Thanks dede62 Yes slow and steady will be my mantra from now on I should have realised that longer car journeys were a big mistake but I will take this experience and learn from it How far are you able to travel now in the car ?
 
Kim, I've been able to go about 1.5-2 hours without a break. Sometimes a break is relative to the opportunity to take one ;-D
 
Maeve One of the moderators, I believe it was Poppet recommended Arnica cream for around the incision site. I'm pretty sure she said it has natural healing and anti inflammatory abilities in it. I think it's worth a try. Do drugstores carry it?
Kim22 I overdid myself as well and have groin pain in both groins. I find that whenever I feel better and do something, it hurts. I'm still trying to pinpoint what I do wrong when I move. I think it's just that I do too much. I wish I had taken @sandybeach's approach and went slow and steady. But neither my home physical therapist or my out-patient one warned me about doing too much too soon. My OS mentioned soft-tissue inflammation and if it doesn't resolve talked about prednisone when I'm 3 months out, which is two weeks away. I find that resting with ice is very helpful. I hope that you're feeling better soon, though. I know how frustrating it is!
 
ByGosh I wish I had continued with the slow and steady sensible approach as well like Sandybeach but as soon as I became pain free I just wanted to get going and at the time we had beautiful weather ( unusually ) so I was just too keen to get back out in the great outdoors and I love walking so much I obviously went too far.Like you,I was not warned about walking too much and was told at 4 weeks to do about a mile.I had this new hip to enable me to walk in the first place. It is so frustrating.with regards to ice I haven't used it recently since the twisting incident as I had been icing my muscles about 15 minutes before it happened and I believe that cold muscles tear more easily. I am trying heat instead. I suppose it must take a little longer to recover from a bilateral but you will get there We must keep reminding each other about the slow and steady mantra. It's 4.15 am over here another sleepless night ! Take care
 
Oh dear Kim22 It's after 11pm here and I'm thinking I've got it bad, not falling asleep yet. Goodness, you're almost ready to see the sunrise, poor girl. Yes, all that you said is so true! I was an 'always on the go' type of person anyway, so just like you, at 4 weeks when I started to feel better, I had a bunch of MD appts. I couldn't miss, so I pushed myself, didn't realize I should've paid better attention to my body's signals. I just hope it's not too late and I can get better! That's what I'm worried about.
Yes, slow and steady. Listen to your body. The hip is the boss. Elosarabrab said those wise words, (as did others) and I wish I heard them sooner.
You will get better, Kim. We both need to keep our spirits up and be patient, patient, patient..
I asked Poppet for some info on Arnica cream and whether it can be used on the groins and when one is taking oral NSAIDS. I'll let you know what she replies.
Get some sleep, it promotes healing, just ask Poppet! :)
 
Well@ByGosh and Kim22,
The stories are all the same....it's so hard when you want to get mobile again and get on with life NOT to do too much. I find it hard to accept that I'm 5 weeks gone and still needing a cane/ meds etc. so hard to accept at times plus the sleep bit!
I keep thinking I will wake up in the morning with barely a niggle but no! Stiff, hard to get moving and tired from such broken sleep!
We all know this will pass but it's bloody hard in the interim.
I'm going to try and buy the Arnica drops and cream tomorrow plus some magnesium tablets. Magnesium is good for muscles according to my massage therapist.
Might even search online.
So chin upM Stiff upper lip and all that.
Recovery is happening...just a bit slowly! :headbang: :headbang:
 
I am joining you guys in the can't sleep club. I haven't been able to sleep at night since I quit taking the med's. I'm not in any pain, just toss and turn and finally I just get up. I will finally go to sleep and then sleep until 10:00 in the morning, like I'm getting my nights turned around.
Kim22, Sorry to read that your pain isn't getting better. I wonder if your PT can massage the area and maybe give you relief. I had muscle spasms with my first replacement and that helped to have the sore area massaged.
 
sandybeach, ByGosh, and anyone else interested in reading this... As a Registered Natural Medicine Practitioner I use Arnica quite frequently in my practice.

Arnica (Arnica montana) has been used for medicinal purposes since the 1500s and is still popular today. Applied to the skin as a cream, ointment, liniment, salve, or tincture, arnica has been used to soothe muscle aches, reduce inflammation, and heal wounds. It is commonly used for injuries such as sprains and bruises. As an herb, arnica is generally used only topically (on the skin) because it can cause serious side effects when taken by mouth. Oral homeopathic remedies do contain arnica, but they use an extremely diluted form that is not considered dangerous. If you have any question about whether you have the herbal or homeopathic form of arnica, talk to your doctor before taking it.

I made up a mixture of three different tinctures to use topically in hospital to elevate the swelling, bruising and to assist the healing. Because it is classed as an Astringent, it acts to break up the bruises and disperse the tiny clots that may form and congregate. It has the ability to move them into the normal elimination patterns of the body. The medical staff including my OS were most interested because I was able to reduce the swelling down quickly and did not get any bruising!
ByGosh Kim22 Maeve I found this under Teacat has Arrived thread. And a couple more replies later Poppet states where it can be bought and where to use it. I hope this helps.
 
Check out my article in the library ladies about Magnesium .. :)

Oh and Chamomile tea all around before bed :)
 
Poppet thank you I am already taking magnesium and I will definitely try Arnica
 
Kim22, Sorry to hear you are in pain again. I hope things are settling down.
The weather can't decide what it's going to do. Its sunny but very windy so I am reluctant to do any walking outside.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom