Guest viewing is limited

THR Spring in my step

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for the advice Josephine I will rest tomorrow and follow the Activity Progression to the letter and not push my luck.
 
Oops Kim, I see you have been eagerly testing out that new hip of yours today :) Sorry to hear you are having the horrible after effects after a 'bit too long' walk. It's the arrival of some sun I think,we get all exited and have to make the most of it...well..we have been very deprived haven't we. We all get too keen at some point, just can't help ourselves.hehe :)

Hope with plenty of rest you will be feeling better soon

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Hi Anniepops. Yes I went a little mad this sunny bank holiday weekend didn't I ? It felt so good to be walking in the fresh air, doing normal things that I used to take for granted. I have learnt my lesson especially as Josephine has said that sprains and strains are hard to get rid of if they happen too often. The weather is due to change for the worst by Wednesday so that's the end of that Is your husband training for the GNR ?
 
Hi Kim, I felt so energetic when the sun arrived so I understand your eagerness to get moving. No, he's not quite ready for the GNR :) it's the 10k at Gateshead in June. I shall be there cheering him on and hoping he doesn't need first aid cos he is soooo knackered by the end of it :heehee:
 
Hi Kim, I hope you are feeling a little better today. :)
 
Hi octopus, thank you for asking but unfortunately I am no better I am having groin pain as well as knee pain My walking is difficult even with my stick so I am back to doing very little. I have had to start back on Ibuprofen as well as Paracetamol I feel very despondent especially as I was doing so well up until Monday when I twisted awkwardly turning around to flush the loo. I have had to stop the exercises for now I can't help but worry about the situation I spoke to my physio who told me it would take a few days to be resolved but if not to see my GP. I hope you are ok
 
Oh Kim, I'm sorry you are no better. Maybe you should see the GP even if its just to be reassured. It must be frustrating having to go back to resting so much, but it will be worth it, to have it healed properly. On the whole I'm doing well, until the last week when my pain went up slightly. I put it down to a couple of possible things, working full time and wearing my pre surgery shoes. Then yesterday both of my legs started to ache, stiff like when one hasn't exercised for ages and then does too much. Then the ache started up my back and arms. I thought I might be coming down with something, but I think that maybe two weeks full time and a couple of nights bad sleep are catching up on me. I went and bought some new boots, to check out my other theory. This morning I still feel well, so I think I'll just take it easy this weekend. Let us now how you get on. :flwrysmile:
 
octopus I think you are right I will see him on Monday. I must say that I have had the same sort of aches at various times since my op It feels like I am about to come down with flu but it never comes to that so I put it down to some connection to the energy drain in the end In your case it sounds like it may be due to lack of sleep as well as the pressures of full time work perhaps ? What kind of job do you do?I hope your new boots make a difference What kind of boots did you buy ? What a roller coaster of emotions this recovery has been. For me one day on top of the world anticipating a great active pain free future and thinking this is how it will be now to crash back down to earth with another problem. I know it is still early days and we will get there but its a tough Journey if you ask me !
 
I am sorry Kim that you are having pain, It seems to me that there is the miracle of a THR which takes away the bone on bone pain, but then comes the long haul with recovery.

One step forward, two steps back sometimes.. Give yourself time to let everything settle back into place after that twisting event. You would have stretched muscles, ligaments, soft tissue all in the process of healing.

And yes, even at 18 months next week, I know I am still recovering. One day good, the next day... where did that ache or pain come from!

It does improve honey :)
 
It is hard Kim, we have to travel our own individual journeys.

I was actually just thinking about your pain, have you tried heat packs (I prefer a hot water bottle).. I tend to find that when I have over stretched or just moved awkwardly, I use heat. It brings blood supply to the area quickly and gets the blood flowing quicker through the sore area. It also activates the immune system, which is a critical fighter in the whole inflammation cycle :)
 
Actually I have gone to sleep for the past 2 nights with a hot water bottle and it is very soothing maybe I will use one at times during the day as well. I don't think the ice did me any favours as I no longer have any swelling
 
Hi Kim, I bought some knee length black boots (I love them, now have three pairs!), with a slightly thicker sole, which my physio thought might be helpful. I have a desk job, but do get to move around the building depending on the tasks of the day. I'm thinking when the weather is good I may have to take a few walks outside during the day. You are right, it is such a roller coaster. Here I was thinking that I was having such a smooth recovery and getting away with a lot of things like pain returning and continued tiredness. :rotfl:
 
octopus Hi Diane your boots sound good fashionable as well as comfie and just right for the NZ winter.It does seem like most have us have issues to deal with rather than a totally uneventful recovery. I know we will get there in the end but we need patience by the bucket load The hardest thing I find is getting the balance right between doing too much and not doing enough. Have a lovely relaxing weekend.
 
Hi Kim,

It is difficult getting the balance right. The problem is we don't know our boundary until we push it and then we do the two step back thing..

I am the consummate lazy hippy in winter, but force myself to adhere to an app I have on my PC at work which I can set the time options to get up and stretch and walk around a large area. I have it set for 45 mins with a 3 min break. Sometimes I just stand at the back of my chair and do some stretching exercises, tippy toes, etc.. I also think that normal living gives us a lot of exercise that we don't realize and kinda take for granted.. but come weekends, its lots of luxurious day time naps for me :)
 
Kim22 Pre-op I used blue ease gel from holland and barrett on my hip/groin, although it's mainly for muscle pain. It has natural painkillers in it and is warming like deep heat. I found it useful at times. It might help your groin pain if heat helps.
 
Kim22 Sorry to hear about your achey muscles. I have to admit on Wed. evening I over did it also. I was walking around outside unaided on unlevel ground and sat just a few time. Boom went the dynamite on Thrusday morning, as I got up I was limping quite a bit. I had some muscle in the front on my thigh and pain down the knee of the operated leg. Therapist still wanted to see me to help out with some light stretches. It helped some but when I got home I took some tylenol and iced my leg and Friday I was good again. Lessoned learned here for me and I'm only at 4 weeks. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later as we start to feel good and go beyond what our body is ready for. Hang in there girl, it will start feeling better.
 
Kim22, How are you feeling now? Sorry I have been off your site for a few days, just getting caught up. Just a little movement sometimes is all it takes, your muscles must have tightened up on you. I had major muscles pains with my first hip replacement, this second one, I'm taking it slow and steady and I haven't had any. I just started PT last Wednesday and the therapist thought I was doing really well for 4 weeks out. I have just let my hips get lots of rest. I haven't pushed at all. I walk around the house more without a cane but I do have it near and when I start to ache I use the cane. I think now, I'm gonna start getting more aggressive with the muscle building in my hips, I think I'm ready to start pushing but even with that I'm going to think slowly but steady. Walking is supposed to be the best thing we can do after surgery but I think we also need to remember that we just had major surgery, we need time to heal. Walking, even if it's just inside the house is still exercise. Also where you walk to, you have to walk back. I walk to my mailbox and back for now. I know in a few months it won't matter if I walked to my mailbox or mile now because by then I will be healed enough to walk that mile then.
 
Kim22 Pre-op I used blue ease gel from holland and barrett on my hip/groin, although it's mainly for muscle pain. It has natural painkillers in it and is warming like deep heat. I found it useful at times. It might help your groin pain if heat helps.

Thanks TeeEm I will give it a go I have tried Ibuprofen gel but it did not seem that effective and I like the idea of it having natural painkillers asI am taking oral Ibuprofen .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom