THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

you don't know the relief I had to be off painkillers I actually cried when the surgeon finally agreed to do the operation
Hip pain is the worst...I only had to deal with my chronic pain for a few years before I got my diagnosis, and the last 5 months was horrible.
just do squats, standing leg raises, and knee to chest and leg backwards
These are not needed right now and are surely the reason you are still hurting if you have been doing them since you left the hospital.
Stop these exercises and Spend some time on Ice. Short walks a few times per day.
You need to give things a rest so you can get back on track.

Also timescale on hip, what do you think?
We can't give you a definite answer but the prosthesis itself will likely last more than 20 years, and I left you an article showing it could be much longer.
With new components being used...we would have to make a trip into the future to find out....
I hope mine last me for my lifetime.
 
you don't know the relief I had to be off painkillers I actually cried when the surgeon finally agreed to do the operation
Hip pain is the worst...I only had to deal with my chronic pain for a few years before I got my diagnosis, and the last 5 months was horrible.
just do squats, standing leg raises, and knee to chest and leg backwards
These are not needed right now and are surely the reason you are still hurting if you have been doing them since you left the hospital.
Stop these exercises and Spend some time on Ice. Short walks a few times per day.
You need to give things a rest so you can get back on track.

Also timescale on hip, what do you think?
We can't give you a definite answer but the prosthesis itself will likely last more than 20 years, and I left you an article showing it could be much longer.
With new components being used...we would have to make a trip into the future to find out....
I hope mine last me for my lifetime.
So why did they advice me to do these exercises ??? I take 1 mile walk in a morning and 1 at night thanks also I take paracetamol also my question is where and how do i ice ?
 
So they are criterion based phases of rehab wherein they introduce exercises that are designed to strengthen muscles that support the hip.
Injured  muscles and tendons (traumatized by surgery) won't benefit from being stressed too soon... We need to heal first.

The confusion lies not in the protocols themselves, which seem to be consistently generic, but they certainly don't give a lot of guidance about timing and should caution patients about doing too much too soon.


There is a huge degree of variability in conditions that result in THR and I struggle with the idea that all can wake from the anaesthetic and embark on the same clinical pathway.

Often, we arent told we don't need to start or progress exercises too rapidly and without respect of pain without first developing the neuromuscular control and progression truly needed to heal and get to the next phase.

I think you should read over the recovery guidelines we gave you on this thread.
It has information about icing too... get some large gel ice packs and ice wherever it hurts... hip, knee, thigh...
A few weeks of not engaging in these exercises and icing will likely get you back on track.
 
It's pretty amazing that you could be as active as you were after dealing with Perthes Disease as a child! Kudos to you! There are many Prosthetic hips that last over 30 plus years. My surgeon told me in 2015 that my new hips will last me my lifetime, but then I was 60, I believe. I'm not sure you read this article but it may answer some of your questions and fears.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hips-that-have-lasted-32-40-41-and-45-years.13853/

Then, we have a lovely member who has run consistently on her new hip for many years now.. maybe you could read her recovery thread. She's pretty amazing. You can read about her recovery here:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constanzes-recovery-diary.29661/
 
Happy Monday Spongebob,
In an effort to have a clear understanding, please confirm that you are able to open articles that appear in blue type by tapping / clicking on them. I am referencing the two articles that, CricketHip, left above as well as all of the articles in the Recovery Guidelines that, Jaycey, left you in post Number Three of your thread.

Have you had the time to read through the Recovery Guidelines in its entirety yet?
I believe doing so will help answer a lot of your questions.
A great week to you!
@Spongebob
 
It's pretty amazing that you could be as active as you were after dealing with Perthes Disease as a child! Kudos to you! There are many Prosthetic hips that last over 30 plus years. My surgeon told me in 2015 that my new hips will last me my lifetime, but then I was 60, I believe. I'm not sure you read this article but it may answer some of your questions and fears.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hips-that-have-lasted-32-40-41-and-45-years.13853/

Then, we have a lovely member who has run consistently on her new hip for many years now.. maybe you could read her recovery thread. She's pretty amazing. You can read about her recovery here:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constanzes-recovery-diary.29661/
Does that 2nd link talk about running as I looked 2 pages in and not I presume it does further on ?
 
Happy Monday Spongebob,
In an effort to have a clear understanding, please confirm that you are able to open articles that appear in blue type by tapping / clicking on them. I am referencing the two articles that, CricketHip, left above as well as all of the articles in the Recovery Guidelines that, Jaycey, left you in post Number Three of your thread.

Have you had the time to read through the Recovery Guidelines in its entirety yet?
I believe doing so will help answer a lot of your questions.
A great week to you!
@Spongebob
Yes thanks
 
It's pretty amazing that you could be as active as you were after dealing with Perthes Disease as a child! Kudos to you! There are many Prosthetic hips that last over 30 plus years. My surgeon told me in 2015 that my new hips will last me my lifetime, but then I was 60, I believe. I'm not sure you read this article but it may answer some of your questions and fears.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/hips-that-have-lasted-32-40-41-and-45-years.13853/

Then, we have a lovely member who has run consistently on her new hip for many years now.. maybe you could read her recovery thread. She's pretty amazing. You can read about her recovery here:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/constanzes-recovery-diary.29661/
Does that 2nd link talk about running as I looked 2 pages in and not I presume it does further on ?
Yes, yes it does. Patience, grasshopper! Read through it and learn. :wink:
 
Stretches are great. I don't know what strengthening exercises they gave you, so I cannot say for sure. If you'll tell us what they are we can give better guidance. At 2 months out, you normally shouldn't be worrying about strength...just movement on a regular basis. Walking is best for this.
I just do squats, standing leg raises, and knee to chest and leg backwards. Also timescale on hip, what do you think?
Definitely stop the squats. Much too soon for those and it could be the cause of any pain you're having. If you're walking two miles a day, that is plenty of exercise for right now. Your body is still in healing mode.
 
Stretches are great. I don't know what strengthening exercises they gave you, so I cannot say for sure. If you'll tell us what they are we can give better guidance. At 2 months out, you normally shouldn't be worrying about strength...just movement on a regular basis. Walking is best for this.
I just do squats, standing leg raises, and knee to chest and leg backwards. Also timescale on hip, what do you think?
Definitely stop the squats. Much too soon for those and it could be the cause of any pain you're having. If you're walking two miles a day, that is plenty of exercise for right now. Your body is still in healing mode.
Quick question how long does the knee pain last ?
 
Not knowing what is going on with your knee exactly makes this an impossible question to answer.
My best guess I gave you earlier
My guess (only a guess) is your knee was traumatized during surgery... the exercises you attempted at the beginning when your hip muscles were too injured and hadn't healed...caused that knee to overcompensate (think squats, bridges, exercise bands with side steps?)
Stopping the exercises and icing will hopefully lead to improvement...

Maybe Call your surgeon's office or your GP if you feel it needs checked out.
Hope your day is Easy Going
 
Not knowing what is going on with your knee exactly makes this an impossible question to answer.
My best guess I gave you earlier
My guess (only a guess) is your knee was traumatized during surgery... the exercises you attempted at the beginning when your hip muscles were too injured and hadn't healed...caused that knee to overcompensate (think squats, bridges, exercise bands with side steps?)
Stopping the exercises and icing will hopefully lead to improvement...

Maybe Call your surgeon's office or your GP if you feel it needs checked out.
Hope your day is Easy Going
Presume it's related to my gate change ?
 
My knee bothered me after surgery, I think we've already spoke about how they manipulate your body to do the surgery. That is probably the cause of the knee pain but if you are very concerned check with your doctor and get X-Ray or MRI.
I'd sit, elevate and ice it.
I tore my meniscus several years ago. My OS wasn't crazy about surgery for meniscus and said I could heal it myself with elevation and ice. I followed his instructions and in 3 months I had healed it and was able to do my power walking again. During that 3 month period I still continued with my job 3 days per week, just wore knee brace. At night I'd sit on couch and elevate the knee and do ice off and on, 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off for a few hours while watching TV.
We have no idea how long your knee will hurt, just like we have no idea how long it will take for you to get back to all you want to do, we help here with information and guidelines that we have all used.
We've all had hip replacements or hip surgeries and we share our stories so that others that are just starting their journey can read and not feel isolated.
Stay well, rest and ice.
 
Brill the support on here has been amazing and a real help to me going forward I have brought a ice pack and have stopped the exercises to see if this helps with my knee pain but like you all said it's prob down to my change in gate and also from the trauma of surgery so I hope it all settles down soon as with the groin pain I know this may take some time to settle down but i have just got to stay focused on what the end result will give me going forward a pain free hip and better quality of life
 
So you all think the discomfort I'm going through now will all be worth it in the end in terms of getting my life back and being able to do all the things I love gym/running
 
I do think that you will get your life back!:egypdance:
I think that you can tailor your life with a new hip to find a happy balance ....
I'm sorry you have been so anxious and consequently have maybe been overdoing things to ensure your new hip is good...
but your patience muscle is the one you need to keep toned up!
 
I do think that you will get your life back!:egypdance:
I think that you can tailor your life with a new hip to find a happy balance ....
I'm sorry you have been so anxious and consequently have maybe been overdoing things to ensure your new hip is good...
but your patience muscle is the one you need to keep toned up!
Only thing is I'm gutted i prob won't be able run again and Taylor as in what?
 
Hi SpongeBob,
I believe, Mojo, means adapt, adjust, make changes…if necessary etc, when she mentioned “tailoring” your life.

Some members do run again. This is a topic you should discuss with your surgeon in regard to the pros and cons of returning to running post THR, then do what you wish with the information you receive.

No reason to feel gutted. There are many options when it comes to staying physically active in an effort to remain healthy, strong and fulfilled in life.
You’ll figure it out. You are in the early weeks of recovery in the entire scheme of things and patience is key. You will notice an increase in strength and stamina with each passing month. Have a great Wednesday! :SUNsmile:
 
Hi SpongeBob,
I believe, Mojo, means adapt, adjust, make changes…if necessary etc, when she mentioned “tailoring” your life.

Some members do run again. This is a topic you should discuss with your surgeon in regard to the pros and cons of returning to running post THR, then do what you wish with the information you receive.

No reason to feel gutted. There are many options when it comes to staying physically active in an effort to remain healthy, strong and fulfilled in life.
You’ll figure it out. You are in the early weeks of recovery in the entire scheme of things and patience is key. You will notice an increase in strength and stamina with each passing month. Have a great Wednesday! :SUNsmile:
The 1 plus to it all is the pain difference from before the replacement to now its times better I'm not living on pain meds anymore and i am not feeling depressed so it's not having the affect on my family like it did before because living with hip pain is the worst pain in terms of that it's all going to be worth it even If I only run 1 time a week say
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom