THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Relax, you are so early in recovery, I realize you are young and want to get back to a full life, gym, swimming all of it. Even though I was 70 when I fractured my hip and needed surgery I also was living a very busy full life, working as a server in a very busy restaurant, volunteering at a dog rescue and walking those dogs just about everyday and add to that daily walks of around 3 miles when it was nice out. Do you think I wanted to "wait" to get better? Nope, I was impatient, just like you, but I had to learn to be patient and listen to my body. My knee hurt like heck and I asked some of the same questions you are asking. My leg was also a little shorter, but everything evened out and now over a year later I am back to my life before hip surgery. Do I still have aches and pains some days...sure do.
 
Relax, you are so early in recovery, I realize you are young and want to get back to a full life, gym, swimming all of it. Even though I was 70 when I fractured my hip and needed surgery I also was living a very busy full life, working as a server in a very busy restaurant, volunteering at a dog rescue and walking those dogs just about everyday and add to that daily walks of around 3 miles when it was nice out. Do you think I wanted to "wait" to get better? Nope, I was impatient, just like you, but I had to learn to be patient and listen to my body. My knee hurt like heck and I asked some of the same questions you are asking. My leg was also a little shorter, but everything evened out and now over a year later I am back to my life before hip surgery. Do I still have aches and pains some days...sure do.
I get that even after a year will still get the odd ache and pain but it's no where near as bad as it was before I had the surgery so can't be that bad but like you say I'm impatient and want to return to my what was active life before surgery until the hip got to the point where I couldn't do any of it so will just have to be patient like you say. I go walking at the min and soon as my gym membership is unfrozen from the 1st April I'm going to go swimming until I'm able to return to classes etc.. but thanks for the help its much appreciated
 
The pool will be a great resource for you, you can walk in the water and feel fairly weightless. I'm taking water aerobics at local Y, water is soothing to the body and soul.
Also will help that knee pain.
Both my sons have pools and I found that to be a good resource last summer. Of course I live in Northeast so outdoor pools are only open 4-5 months here but I was about 4 months post op when I got back into pool and did some walking exercises.
Keep reading here and asking questions, we've all been where you are and just want to encourage you along on this journey.
Have a nice weekend.
 
So all the pain I'm getting is normal knee pain hip ache and not being able tie my shoes ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m at 12 weeks and aches and pains come and go. I can get my sock on now but still can’t tie my shoelaces myself. I bought a pair of slip ins so that I can manage when my OH isn’t around. Everything I’ve read on here suggests taking it slowly, listening to your body and letting it heal before pushing too hard. I’m 65, you are possibly a lot younger but the mantra is the same.
 
So all the pain I'm getting is normal knee pain hip ache and not being able tie my shoes
Yes, normal. You're normal, your recovery is normal. Not being able to tie your shoes...normal for many at this point. It will come.

Your current situation is not your permanent destination. Keep this in mind.

Look upon this surgery and recovery as an investment in your future. Take care now and it will serve you well for years to come.
B-r-e-a-t-h-e. Relax / chill. You WILL get there.
 
You need to lay off of the caffeine and take a breath. Life is a marathon, not a sprint and this operation will take some time to get over. Take a few minutes and research what they do to us when they perform this procedure. When you realize what's done you'll be thankful you have a knee that has pain and that you can still wear shoes. This is a life changing operation!, It's not a microwave dinner.
 
You need to lay off of the caffeine and take a breath. Life is a marathon, not a sprint and this operation will take some time to get over. Take a few minutes and research what they do to us when they perform this procedure. When you realize what's done you'll be thankful you have a knee that has pain and that you can still wear shoes. This is a life changing operation!, It's not a microwave dinner.
Does laying off caffeine actually help ?
 
Quick question does anyone know after a operation like this could I go back road running just wanted to know as its something I really love to do would be heartbroken if could not go again just wanted people's thoughts
 
Running on hard surfaces is something you'll need to discuss with your surgeon. Some people do it. But there is a potential that you could wear out your hip faster from the impact. It's a personal decision, providing you would resume that SLOWLY and not continue if you experienced pain during or afterwards. At any rate, it's way too soon in your recovery to even think about this. I'm guessing your surgeon would suggest waiting to try until you are at least 6-9 months out.
 
Running on hard surfaces is something you'll need to discuss with your surgeon. Some people do it. But there is a potential that you could wear out your hip faster from the impact. It's a personal decision, providing you would resume that SLOWLY and not continue if you experienced pain during or afterwards. At any rate, it's way too soon in your recovery to even think about this. I'm guessing your surgeon would suggest waiting to try until you are at least 6-9 months out.
So my running days are over ? And 6-9 months really
 
I don't know your medical history but you obviously had a hip problem of some sort and it must have been bad for someone as young as you to have a THR. If so then you are being given a new and fresh start that can lead to a pain free active life. The cost of this is to have a good slow recovery and then see where it leads. Some go back to running although common sense to me says pounding the weight of a body on a replacement joint probably isn't the best for longevity. Now for me longevity is important because if you aren't enjoying this THR and recovery you're probably not going to enjoy a revision.
I do miss being young, spontaneous and impatient but it doesn't work well for a THR recovery. Everything in time.
 
I never said your running days are over. I advised you to talk with your surgeon about your desire to go back to running. Normally the doctors will tell you to hold off until you're at least 6 or 9 months out from the surgery and then go back to it gradually. Your doctor may advise you differently. There are plenty of people who have gone back to running. But you just need to be aware of the risks from the impact are there....a shorter life for your hip replacement. It's a risk...not a certainty. This is a major surgical procedure that is a trauma to your body. If your surgeon didn't tell you that a full recovery can take a year or more, he should have.
 
Anyone know with good care what the lifespan of a THR is ?
 
Also when should I start to do strengthening exercises?
 
Here is an article from our library...
 
Here is an article from our library...
Is this true could they last this long ?
 
@Spongebob
Everyone is unique...their bodies, their lives before THR, their surgeries, and their recoveries....
I wonder if you might share some of your history and how it came that you needed a hip replacement and how your early recovery went and exactly what exercises you were doing after leaving the hospital and how much.
No-one on the forum can give you definitive answers about most things...just suggestions and advice.
 
@Spongebob
Everyone is unique...their bodies, their lives before THR, their surgeries, and their recoveries....
I wonder if you might share some of your history and how it came that you needed a hip replacement and how your early recovery went and exactly what exercises you were doing after leaving the hospital and how much.
No-one on the forum can give you definitive answers about most things...just suggestions and advice.
Well before my surgery i was a fit active person gym etc..
Well I had perthes disease as a child and basically over time it got worse to the point where I could not hardly walk so enough was enough I had numerous steroid injections in it to try and help all to no help so surgery was my only option. In terms of exercises all I did was what they gave me to take away and do 2-3 times a day basic stretches. Also the first week was horrible not being able get into bed and walk but I got through the first week and now slowly I seem to be getting somewhere that's why I asked when should I be doing STRENGHING EXERCISES!!! (If I even need to do them at all) also I was just wondering why the process to get me to the point where I can return to my active life that I had before the surgery takes so long? And why I still have knee and hip pain and still unable to tie my shoes?
 
Well I had perthes disease as a child and basically over time it got worse to the point where I could not hardly walk so enough was enough
I'm sorry that you had to deal with this condition but I'm happy that you were able to get that bad hip replaced so that you can get better.
Also the first week was horrible not being able get into bed and walk but I got through the first week and now slowly I seem to be getting somewhere
This is true for almost all new hippies...
I think if you take the time to google a hip replacement surgery (I prefer an animated version :flabber:) you may better understand what was necessary in order to get a new hip and understand you need to re-set your expectations for how long it takes to recover.
When I was recovering....I would tell myself sometimes...If your hip had been broken in a car accident and repaired, instead of an elective surgery, would you baby it more?

also I was just wondering why the process to get me to the point where I can return to my active life that I had before the surgery takes so long?
You said you had reached the point where you could barely walk, so I think if you can remember how bad it had gotten and realize most likely all of what you are going through is Temporary...it will keep you from being so anxious.

I think you asking the same questions, hoping to get a different answer...but we care how you are doing and unfortunately more healing time is what will equal progress.
 
Back
Top Bottom