THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

So is my knee pain gait related as during my surgery he has made my operated leg 3mm longer to match up with my none operated leg and the trauma of the surgery?

When do you see OS again? Make a list of all these questions and concerns you have.
The knee pain can be from any number of issues, manipulation during surgery, gait, etc.
Do you have IPhone or any sort of tracker that tracks steps taken during course of the day? My IPhone has this feature and along with that step counter also gives you your asymmetry. I found (and still find) this feature extremely helpful, tells you how your are walking not just how far.
Be sure to do heel/toe walking, this helps everything feel better and wear good shoes.

When do you see OS again? Make a list of all these questions and concerns you have.
The knee pain can be from any number of issues, manipulation during surgery, gait, etc.
Do you have IPhone or any sort of tracker that tracks steps taken during course of the day? My IPhone has this feature and along with that step counter also gives you your asymmetry. I found (and still find) this feature extremely helpful, tells you how your are walking not just how far.
Be sure to do heel/toe walking, this helps everything feel better and wear good shoes.
Do you know what this app is? Also my OS has discharged me so does that mean all my feelings are completely normal ? As he feels all is good and no need to see me again ?

It's not an app, just a feature on my IPhone under "Health."
Did they take X-Rays at last appointment? And if so did he/she say all was healing nicely? Bone growth around implant etc????

Hi my OS has discharged me so does that mean all the feelings i currently have are completely normal my knee and hip pain so does that mean he feels all is good and no need to see me again ?

It's not an app, just a feature on my IPhone under "Health."
Did they take X-Rays at last appointment? And if so did he/she say all was healing nicely? Bone growth around implant etc????
The only xray i had was after surgery same day

Hi my OS has discharged me so does that mean all the feelings i currently have are completely normal my knee and hip pain so does that mean he feels all is good and no need to see me again ?
Yes, I would assume so.
I'd like to encourage you to reread through your thread when you're feeling anxious because most of your questions were answered multiple times, by various members basically sharing the same advice / viewpoints. It may be reassuring for you to do this when you're dealing with uncertainty.

If our advice and opinions aren't reassuring you, consider scheduling an appointment with your surgeon to go over all of your concerns. You need to settle in your mind, given all you've shared here, that your recovery seems normal to us. At this point you need to be patient and carry on with your life. Look back at your recovery a month from now and you'll likely see the progress you've made. Best Wishes!

Yes, I would assume so.
I'd like to encourage you to reread through your thread when you're feeling anxious because most of your questions were answered multiple times, by various members basically sharing the same advice / viewpoints. It may be reassuring for you to do this when you're dealing with uncertainty.

If our advice and opinions aren't reassuring you, consider scheduling an appointment with your surgeon to go over all of your concerns. You need to settle in your mind, given all you've shared here, that your recovery seems normal to us. At this point you need to be patient and carry on with your life. Look back at your recovery a month from now and you'll likely see the progress you've made. Best Wishes!
That's brilliant well like you say my recovery and all the discomfort I'm feeling to you from your experience is all normal so I'm happy with that

So do you all think everything I am feeling discomfort/pain wise knee and hip is all completely normal in my healing process and will all fade away eventually

No one can promise you that everything will be absolutely fine….especially people who have not seen you in person. But….the fact that you were discharged is a good sign. You’ve now learned that this is likely going to be a longer recovery than you originally thought. You need to find a way to focus on that and try not to worry so much. Give yourself at least 6 months for things to improve gradually. Don’t push yourself with exercise and activity. If at any point you have pain that worsens, then make an appointment with your surgeon. He’s the only one who is going to be able to reassure you that everything is all right. But you really do need to give yourself some time.

I had my hip replaced on August 23 and I’m still working on getting back to normal. My recovery has been slow because of problems with the soft tissue readjusting to my new alignment from the surgery. It just happens that way sometime.

Hi my knee only hurts when I walk but when I sit at home or in bed no pain at all so is this trauma from surgery related or change in gate I am icing it and resting ?

If you read all the input we have given you on this thread you will see that all that you are feeling is totally normal. Please relax and let that hip heal.
Why does Google say that it takes 12 weeks to resume all normal activities but based on everyone's opinion on here saying that it could take up to 12 months to be right to resume all normal activities gym etc obviously I trust the advice of people on here but firstly that's what i was going off that's what made me think I should be right after 12 weeks

There are a wide range of timelines mentioned with a google search as there would also be wide range of "normal" activities based on individuals.
Your recovery should see gradual improvements and, as you have also been advised, you can set yourself back with too much too soon.

I also gave this opinion early.
My guess (only a guess) is your knee was traumatized during surgery... the exercises you attempted at the beginning when your hip muscles were too injured and hadn't healed...caused that knee to overcompensate (think squats, bridges, exercise bands with side steps?)
I'm sorry you were given exercises that you say you worked on, according to you, since the day you left the hospital.
I'm sure this was unhelpful.
So is my knee pain gait related as during my surgery he has made my operated leg 3mm longer to match up with my none operated leg and the trauma of the surgery?
I do think your body adjusting to a new leg length and gait could affect your knee.

You may be able to get back to the gym sooner than a year... you will have to be the judge of what is appropriate by listening to your body...

Hope you have a happy Saturday, @Spongebob

Like I say I have stopped the exercises and also my knee only hurts when I walk etc.. which makes me think its gate/trauma from surgery related the main thing is I am not feeling depressed anymore with the pain I'm in I know the discomfort I'm feeling now is TEMPORARY!! and I will get back to the things I enjoyed and needed to do at some point just have to be patient

Can someone tell me why recovery/heal takes so long from THR as seems a long time for recovery/heal I know its major surgery but just trying to get clear in my mind why it takes so long to recover/heal as seems a long time

@Spongebob Healing from hip replacement is not just the incisions healing. All the internal structures also need to heal. And new bone needs to grow around the implants. And all the muscles and tendons in your leg, pelvis, and lower back that were getting out shape while you limped on a bad hip need to get reconditioned back to functioning as they were designed to.

How many years did it take you to get to the point you needed hip replacement? So a few months is not such a long time.

Just as a comparison .... IF one breaks the femur (longest and strongest bone in the body) and it needed plates and/or screws to hold it together while healing, the healing time is from 3-6 months at least.

I understand you are impatient and eager to get back to living life to the fullest. But do allow your body to finish its healing .... there really is no way to speed up that process.

@Spongebob Healing from hip replacement is not just the incisions healing. All the internal structures also need to heal. And new bone needs to grow around the implants. And all the muscles and tendons in your leg, pelvis, and lower back that were getting out shape while you limped on a bad hip need to get reconditioned back to functioning as they were designed to.

How many years did it take you to get to the point you needed hip replacement? So a few months is not such a long time.

Just as a comparison .... IF one breaks the femur (longest and strongest bone in the body) and it needed plates and/or screws to hold it together while healing, the healing time is from 3-6 months at least.

I understand you are impatient and eager to get back to living life to the fullest. But do allow your body to finish its healing .... there really is no way to speed up that process.
What about knee pain I still get it while I walk (not resting at home)

See if you can make an appointment with a Physical Therapist who can help you with some gait training. You may be walking abnormally and that's causing your knee pain.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom