THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

I believe in an earlier post there was someone who is running after hip replacement.
There's a post also from someone who had replacement 6 months ago and is skiing.
And I'm walking 3 miles a day most days when weather permits, walking rescue dogs and doing all household chores. I ran a few 5K's in my younger years but prefer walking to running now.
There is life after hip replacement.
Once you are healed and your restrictions are lifted discuss all of this with your OS, he/she will advise you on what you can do and timeline for doing the things you want to do.
 
Two members that are running after THR (threads below)
Many don't return to running, but find alternate ways to remain physically fit.
This subject is between you and your surgeon.
You either take his advice that he finds it safe to return to running, or choose to go against it if he advises you don't return to running. The choice is yours alone.

Constanze's Recovery
newguy's recovery
 
Bottom line on all of this is no different than life. You can do anything you want to do as long as you understand and accept the consequences. If you're set on running then run, if it wears the hip out faster or causes damage accept that and go through a revision. I do everything I want to, I have no interest in running I did that years ago. I have hurt myself recently and thought I might have damaged my implant. No one to blame but me I was doing something that would not be recommended by an OS, Fortunate for me after a trip to my OS the implant was fine but I had strained muscles. maybe I learned my lesson, maybe not we'll see. Either way it's me that would have to go through the surgery as it's just another day at the office for my OS and another day of my wife shaking her head and going through another adventure with me.
 
Two members that are running after THR (threads below)
Many don't return to running, but find alternate ways to remain physically fit.
This subject is between you and your surgeon.
You either take his advice that he finds it safe to return to running, or choose to go against it if he advises you don't return to running. The choice is yours alone.

Constanze's Recovery
newguy's recovery
Think to make this new beautiful hip last me as long as possible I'm going to stick to the gym classes/swimming ️ hopefully get 20 years out of if maybe more how long do you all think they last now with current technologies
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Bottom line on all of this is no different than life. You can do anything you want to do as long as you understand and accept the consequences. If you're set on running then run, if it wears the hip out faster or causes damage accept that and go through a revision. I do everything I want to, I have no interest in running I did that years ago. I have hurt myself recently and thought I might have damaged my implant. No one to blame but me I was doing something that would not be recommended by an OS, Fortunate for me after a trip to my OS the implant was fine but I had strained muscles. maybe I learned my lesson, maybe not we'll see. Either way it's me that would have to go through the surgery as it's just another day at the office for my OS and another day of my wife shaking her head and going through another adventure with me.
Bang on point there like you say if I want to do it then do it but there will be a revision on the cards which ideally i don't want for as long as possible maybe upwards of 20 years so I'm just going to stick to the gym on the low impact classes etc it will be a better calorie burner anyway
 
Two members that are running after THR (threads below)
Many don't return to running, but find alternate ways to remain physically fit.
This subject is between you and your surgeon.
You either take his advice that he finds it safe to return to running, or choose to go against it if he advises you don't return to running. The choice is yours alone.

Constanze's Recovery
newguy's recovery
Think to make this new beautiful hip last me as long as possible I'm going to stick to the gym classes/swimming ️‍♂️ hopefully get 20 years out of if maybe more how long do you all think they last now with current technologies
My surgeon did a study at his former practice (which also included surgeons who had several decades of THR history). He shares this with his patients on a DVD as part of preparing us for THR. His study showed that only a small percentage of THR required revision in the first 20 years and the majority were still problem free approaching 30 years. So that's a study from THRs performed several decades ago and the techniques, prosthetics and longevity can only have improved. Take it FWIW, but I found it comforting seeing as how I'm only 55.
 
Two members that are running after THR (threads below)
Many don't return to running, but find alternate ways to remain physically fit.
This subject is between you and your surgeon.
You either take his advice that he finds it safe to return to running, or choose to go against it if he advises you don't return to running. The choice is yours alone.

Constanze's Recovery
newguy's recovery
Think to make this new beautiful hip last me as long as possible I'm going to stick to the gym classes/swimming ️‍♂️ hopefully get 20 years out of if maybe more how long do you all think they last now with current technologies
My surgeon did a study at his former practice (which also included surgeons who had several decades of THR history). He shares this with his patients on a DVD as part of preparing us for THR. His study showed that only a small percentage of THR required revision in the first 20 years and the majority were still problem free approaching 30 years. So that's a study from THRs performed several decades ago and the techniques, prosthetics and longevity can only have improved. Take it FWIW, but I found it comforting seeing as how I'm only 55.
Thing is I have got to get my head round the fact that I won't be running again
 
@Spongebob Don't give up hope yet. Everyone here is suggesting patience and further discussion with your surgeon about whether you can return to running. You mentioned earlier in this thread that you were diagnosed with Perthes disease. That is a progressive problem that usually starts when one is quite young (between the ages of about 4yo and 12yo or so I understand). And yet, unfortunately for you, this was not diagnosed until late. Now you are 39 and have just had a hip replacement. Over the years not only was your hip joint deteriorating but also the muscles and tendons were getting used in ways they were not designed to be used. So now you have a new hip that is strong and resilient ....but those muscles and tendons are going to take time AND slow and careful rehabilitation to get back to functioning as they are supposed to. If you push too hard at strength training or getting back to running you run the risk of straining or even tearing those muscles and tendons and setting your healing self back. But once everything is healed and you have rehabbed the muscles and tendons, who knows? You might just get back to doing what you enjoy.

Many of the folks we see here - your age and younger ... and older .... have hip replacements and return to physically strenuous jobs and sports or hobbies. So please don't resign yourself to spending the rest of your life sitting on the couch. Right now the best exercise is walking. And GET NEW SHOES if you have not already done so. Wearing old shoes with pre surgery worn down limping patterns on the soles and heels will not help your new hip.

When my surgeon discharged me from his active practice I was 64yo and had bilateral hip replacements (both done in the same surgical session) and he said my only life time restriction was "NO bungy jumping" .... I was not, and am not, athletic by any stretch of the imagination!
 
Patience, my friend! Patience is hard enough for us more "time experienced" folks to do let alone our younger counterparts. However, in the scheme of things, this time to fully recover is such a short time compared to the rest of your active life. In running terms, it is not a sprint but a marathon. Trust me, you do not want tendon issues. Just slow and steady progress will get you where you want to go. Like most of life, everything in moderation. If I wondered if an activity was something I really wanted to do, I gauged it this way: how embarrassed would I be sitting across from my OS explaining how I hurt myself? LOL.
@Spongebob
 
Can anyone say how long the hip discomfort will actually last for post op and why it takes so long to heal? Also why does my knee ache but worse when walk
 
Last edited:
Can anyone say how long the hip discomfort will actually last and why it takes so long to heal.
It can last for a full year for some. Normally slowly easing over time, unless you are engaging in activity that isn't suitable for early recovery, then stalling your recovery as a pain cycle starts all over again.

Carry on with your life as much as possible and try to put the healing journey out of your mind. In staying busy you'll think about recovery less and time will pass more quickly. Recovery takes patience.

It takes long to heal because it's major surgery. It was controlled trauma to your leg. Your flesh was cut, power tools were used to drill / saw / ream out bone to make room for a prosthetic that's pounded into place. If you feel you can tolerate it, watch a Total Hip Replacement on YouTube and I think you'll have a better understanding of why you're not fully healed and still dealing with pain at only two months post op.
 
Can anyone say how long the hip discomfort will actually last and why it takes so long to heal.
It can last for a full year for some. Normally slowly easing over time, unless you are engaging in activity that isn't suitable for early recovery, then stalling your recovery as a pain cycle starts all over again.

Carry on with your life as much as possible and try to put the healing journey out of your mind. In staying busy you'll think about recovery less and time will pass more quickly. Recovery takes patience.

It takes long to heal because it's major surgery. It was controlled trauma to your leg. Your flesh was cut, power tools were used to drill / saw / ream out bone to make room for a prosthetic that's pounded into place. If you feel you can tolerate it, watch a Total Hip Replacement on YouTube and I think you'll have a better understanding of why you're not fully healed and still dealing with pain at only two months post op.
Knee?
 
If its you op knee, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. Many complain of sore knees afterward and it can last for months also. I suggest you ice it as often as you're comfortable doing so.
 
If its you op knee, the knee can be manipulated rather aggressively during the dislocation process. Many complain of sore knees afterward and it can last for months also. I suggest you ice it as often as you're comfortable doing so.
I have been in the last few days after work icing it every 30 mins for about 3-4 hours so I presume much like the hip pain will just fade off is it also caused by my change in gate?
 
Yes, but it can take time...months even. Usually slowly easing. Overactivity may cause it to flair again also, so don't be alarmed by ups and downs in discomfort / pain. This is just something we all have to deal with as we're healing. Again, it takes a lot of patience.
 
Two members that are running after THR (threads below)
Many don't return to running, but find alternate ways to remain physically fit.
This subject is between you and your surgeon.
You either take his advice that he finds it safe to return to running, or choose to go against it if he advises you don't return to running. The choice is yours alone.

Constanze's Recovery
newguy's recovery
Think to make this new beautiful hip last me as long as possible I'm going to stick to the gym classes/swimming ️‍♂️ hopefully get 20 years out of if maybe more how long do you all think they last now with current technologies
My surgeon did a study at his former practice (which also included surgeons who had several decades of THR history). He shares this with his patients on a DVD as part of preparing us for THR. His study showed that only a small percentage of THR required revision in the first 20 years and the majority were still problem free approaching 30 years. So that's a study from THRs performed several decades ago and the techniques, prosthetics and longevity can only have improved. Take it FWIW, but I found it comforting seeing as how I'm only 55.
Here's some real work stuff for your study. You have I hope a long life in front of you, you are young and the exception as far as THR's go. I and the majority of THR patients are shall we say mature. What that means for your study is most of the people that have THR's don't need revisions in 20 years because we are gone. Also between the time we get THR's to the time we're gone the majority of us aren't running, jumping or training for anything.
I waited 30+ years to get a THR, why you say? Because the parts and techniques are much better then they had 30 years ago. Very good chance that if you wear what you have in you out they will have an even better deal, maybe some non invasive high tech molecular transfer thingy where they don't even have to cut you open to fix what you have. Who knows? I'm typing on this little thing in my lap talking to someone in Europe, 30 years ago this was unheard of and only a dream.
 
Yes, but it can take time...months even. Usually slowly easing. Overactivity may cause it to flair again also, so don't be alarmed by ups and downs in discomfort / pain. This is just something we all have to deal with as we're healing. Again, it takes a lot of patience.
Knee pain could it be my gate change too causing pain not sure how this works
 
I have been in the last few days after work icing it every 30 mins for about 3-4 hours
Am I correct from reading this that you've gone back to work? If you're working and walking a couple of miles a day, that's a lot of activity for this early in your recovery. If your knee is bothering you, I suggest you let work be your activity and stop the additional walking until things settle down.

You know, a number of runners here have faced the same decision you're pondering about whether to return to running or not. They instead chose to take up cycling. You might think about that. It gets you out doing great exercise, seeing things in the fresh air, can give you a great workout, and it doesn't pound your hips and legs. Sometimes in life we have to make compromises as we go into a new life stage and this might be a good one for you.
 
I have been in the last few days after work icing it every 30 mins for about 3-4 hours
Am I correct from reading this that you've gone back to work? If you're working and walking a couple of miles a day, that's a lot of activity for this early in your recovery. If your knee is bothering you, I suggest you let work be your activity and stop the additional walking until things settle down.

You know, a number of runners here have faced the same decision you're pondering about whether to return to running or not. They instead chose to take up cycling. You might think about that. It gets you out doing great exercise, seeing things in the fresh air, can give you a great workout, and it doesn't pound your hips and legs. Sometimes in life we have to make compromises as we go into a new life stage and this might be a good one for you.
Yes I have gone back work on light duties in terms of my knee pain could it be gate related and also trauma from surgery ?
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom