THR Spongebob's Recovery Journey

Will I be able to do full workout 1 day ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to understand why I have knee pain also will I ever be able to go gym/classes again
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Of course you will get back to the gym....:) :-) (:

THR patients often don't get alot of post-op guidance.
They throw us some exercises to strengthen muscles which need to support our hips with no real instruction on when or how much...and often folks feel the more they do...the quicker things will get back to normal.
My guess (only a guess) is your knee was traumatized during surgery... the exercises you attempted at the beginning when your hip muscles were too injured and hadn't healed...caused that knee to overcompensate (think squats, bridges, exercise bands with side steps?)


Are you spending time icing? I hope so.
If you are extremely worried about your knee, perhaps you should contact your surgeon for reassurance
 
Can I go swimming at this point to help me mentally
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Also the main problem.is that also I'm really struggling to be able to bend down to tie my shoe on my operated leg after 8 weeks post op why is this?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So you think the knee pain is normal where I'm at ? Also I'm struggling to tie my shoe on my operated leg is this normal?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Question I'm now 8 weeks post op and still have knee pain but my operated leg has been made 3mm longer could this change in gate and the stress of surgery be causing the knee pain and will it settle down? also I am struggling to tie my operated leg shoe lace is this normal? Also my hip ache I presume is normal at 8 weeks your help would be amazing
 
Can I go swimming at this point to help me mentally
If you don't overdo it... sure!
Also the main problem.is that also I'm really struggling to be able to bend down to tie my shoe on my operated leg after 8 weeks post op why is this?
I just had to remind myself often -
Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing... If a long full step right now is causing pain and limping, don't take long full steps. Take smaller steps. Take a short walk several times a day, instead of longer walks. Use your cane. Use ice. Rest a lot.

This isn't the time to do anything to excess. Baby steps now, and lots of patience, pays off big time later. Recovering from self-induced tendinitis can end up taking weeks or months. Consider yourself as still recovering from surgery and structure your return to your life as a slow, gradual process where you introduce very small increments in activity, and then give yourself time to see how you react to it.
All temporary, and worth the patience. I am certainly glad I am able to get back to a full happy life!
Question I'm now 8 weeks post op and still have knee pain but my operated leg has been made 3mm longer could this change in gate and the stress of surgery be causing the knee pain and will it settle down?
This very well could be!
I've seen this complaint many times so I guess you could say "Its normal "

Again, taking things slower for a few weeks may give you a lot of answer to your questions.
You have nothing to lose by backing up some.
 
So can I not tie my shoes because its tight and the tissues are still healing then ? Also will I be able to get back the gym ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Let's take a big deep breath. You'll be able to do all of the things you want to in good time. You're less than 3 mos into a 1 year recovery and hopefully a long happy healthy life. You say your knee hurts, instead of pushing things take a day or 2 off and relax. See what happens to your pains if you sit and ice for a couple of days. If the pain gets better you know you've been doing too much. Pain doesn't get better you might need to look further into the cause.
 
Is still not being able to tie my shoe normal as feels tight
 
Is still not being able to tie my shoe normal as feels tight
Yes, this will come with time. Swelling causes the tightness. Ice and elevate per the direction in the Recovery Guidelines and don't lose sight of the fact that even though you're two months post op, there is still healing going on and you'll notice gradual improvement for months to come. Happy Two Month Anniversary!
 
So the hip ache I still have is normal and will fade off
 
Last edited by a moderator:
yes... at a months post op, most of us have aches.
Overdoing can cause bursitis which can also cause achy hips.
Ice all your aches, knee too:ice:
 
But I'm not a month post op
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 3 months post op and still have hip ache and knee pain and also I still can't tie my shoe on My operated leg is this all normal?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry 2 months post op
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Oops, sorry Spongebob. That should have read 2 months... that was a typo.
I am aware you are a bit over 8 weeks in....
Yes normal.
 
If you read all the input we have given you on this thread you will see that all that you are feeling is totally normal. Please relax and let that hip heal.
Brill thanks so knee and hip pain and not being able tie my shoe yet is normal and will fade off ?
 
Back
Top Bottom