Guest viewing is limited

THR Spex10 in recovery

@l I'm sleeping in my own bed. I have to get completely flat
Well done you. I am still having difficulty flat on my back. Fortunately I wasn’t expected to. I’ve got good movement am loving the ‘one step program’ that BoneSmart advertised a couple of weeks ago. Very much more intensive - in a gentle way - than my physio here.

I do hope you are seeing wee improvements day by day
 
No physio at all available. The Murrayfield closed the out patients dept. I'll just have to persevere with walking etc. That's going quite well though. So far so good...
 
Just removed all dressings according to instructions. Now terrified of bursting open. The scar is very long. Obviously it must have had to be. Surgeon seems to have done a good job as all muscles, tendons and ligaments working fine and no 'log leg'.
 
Did they use surgical glue or staples? Either way, please don't stress about the incision.

Lucky you - no log leg!
 
No staples. Don't know what else they used. It's the way I have to sort of drag myself on and off the bed!
 
Hello @Spex10
You can try using a plastic garbage bag under your rear if you feel it will make it easier to for you to get to the edge of the bed. It will eliminate the friction between bedding and whatever you’re wearing. Try not to worry about splitting your incision open, that’s highly unlikely. Just move slowly and thoughtfully, it’s not like you have a choice to move too quickly now anyway, lol.
Happy Friday to you!
 
@Spex10 Sounds like you have surgical glue. It is actually a form of super glue - great stuff. I found it much more comfortable than staples. Healed faster as well.
 
Hi @Spex10 !

Just found your recovery thread. So you are 2 days ahead of me, recovery initially was quite similar. I think from the sounds of it, you had posterior approach; I had anterior.

I can't believe you get NO follow up care! It was your comments in my thread made me come look to see what you are up to. At least it sounds like you do not live alone, that is some comfort.

We are just moseying down Recovery Road; our pace may speed up a bit in a few weeks. For now, it is a slow rate.
 
I can't believe it either @Freedom! When I had my TKRs there was Physio every week and follow up appt with surgeon at 6 weeks. All I have this time is a telephone appt in 8 weeks with the surgeon. I feel sort of dumped!
However, I seem to do better every day and I have something to really work towards.
A month ago I found our cat dead at his food bowl. (He's the cat in my avatar.)He was only 10. We were bereft. Never been without cats all our lives. The reward I'm looking forward to is that we are rehoming two retired breeding Maine Coon boys. I can hardly wait but know I must be more stable on my pins before we can realistically welcome those boys home. There is a huge space in our home and our hearts for them
 
I’m sorry to hear about your cat. I hope your recovery progresses well so you can bring those new ones home before too long. What a wonderful goal!

I love Maine Coons! We had one and she was so beautiful. She only lived to be 11. Is that something about this breed? Our very opinionated Tortie cat lived to be almost 19, she did mellow as she got older.
 
What an exciting goal you have!

I am sorry about your cat. One of the down sides of our pets, their life span is so much shorter than ours. And a sudden loss as what you describe is such a shock. My condolences on your loss.

Bring home 2 boys, fun days ahead for you in so many ways!
 
@Spex10 :console2:I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your beloved cat! I miss my 2 Maine Coons ( in my avatar) - they were the best purr-a-medics ever! 1 was 13yo and the other was 15yo when they went to the Rainbow Bridge. I'm sure you will love the 2 MC boys when they come to live with you!

As for feeling dumped .... yes this dratted COVID is playing havoc with myriad aspects of global society - including having to give up face-to-face medical visits much of the time :sad:
 
Am back in the room. Op all done and apparently went well. Legs still numb but feeling returning a bit. How to I transfer to the post op side of Bonesmart?

well done @Spex10 - I’m glad the op went well - I’m now 3 days post op - came home today. Body and mind is feeling better now I’m off the slow release morphine tablets that were making me feel dizzy and a bit sick in the mornings. I’m thinking now I should of taken the anti sickness medicine that may of helped.
Here’s for a speedy recovery.
Ed
 
@Eddzuno70 it's amazing how much better you feel when those drugs leave your system. I'm now 11 days out and I feel like a different person. I'm tired today due to not sleeping well but am hopeful for tomorrow. I'd really like a walk outside. OH is off tomorrow then back to work on Tuesday and I'm on my own. I think I'll be fine. Not a hive of activity but sufficiently independent to manage the basics.
Hope you feel much better soon.
 
Hi @Spex10 my advice immed post op would be to take whatever meds and drugs are offered - the staff all know what they are doing and most decisions are based on what they have learnt from years of theory plus are discussed and confirmed with other doctors. I decided I wasn’t feeling a lot of pain but it comes and goes - don’t try and be a hero like I did and ride the pain - it’s a massive op that you’ve been through.
Happy recovery
Eddzuno
 
@Eddzuno70 I'm not in a lot of pain or, in fact, much pain at all for which I'm grateful. It was only immediately post op that I was so sick and faint.
Currently I take the Paracetamol four times a day plus the blood thinner and I'm fine. Transitions eg from sitting to standing or in and out of bed take a bit of thought and there can be initial twinges but they wear off as I walk about. I actually enjoy just walking around. I can manage fine with just one stick now.
 
When I had my TKRs there was Physio every week and follow up appt with surgeon at 6 weeks. All I have this time is a telephone appt in 8 weeks with the surgeon. I feel sort of dumped!
I think follow-up here is really poor. I got a private physio locally who was OK but have given that up for the One Step program. The telephone call at 6 weeks was 10 minutes. I felt cheated really. The follow-up letter to my GP said that I was delighted! At that point I certainly was not delighted but I was pleased with my scar recovery.
Can you find a local physio in due course?or sight up to the One step program which is great. Anyway. I reckon you are doing well…tentatively.
 
I think I'm doing OK really @cannygirl . The One Step programme doesn't seem to be open to me. I must have missed a cut off point.
If, in a couple of weeks, I think I'd need to seek a physio's opinion I'll find one. I'm ex NHS so have contacts!
Needless to say I have complained to Spire and BUPA. No response.
 
Needless to say I have complained to Spire and BUPA. No response.
Good luck with that! I had a serious comment (not complaint) about the dispensing of my own meds . A nurse tried to give me 3x the dose on one occasion. If I’d been dotted, I could have been in big trouble. There was no come back when I mentioned it to them. :kickedout: Just because I like this emoji!
 
Oh gosh! I just took whatever they gave me in the little paper cup! That's awful. Lucky you spotted it.
The nursing and care staff were excellent (with one exception). Friendly, kind and experienced.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom