TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi speedy2 - congrats on getting to 95 - particularly for my right knee that was a big milestone and took weeks longer than my left and I stayed right around 90 for quite awhile. Since adding my recumbent bike, my range is coming in bigger chunks. Just this week reached 118L and 111R so hang in there and keep pedaling as long as it is comfortable. I really found that once I kept going, it really gets smoother and easier despite being scary and stiff at first. I definitely over did it yesterday and am paying dearly today - very painful and uncomfortable and unfortunately have several hours of phone conferences I have to attend. Oh well at least at home I can ice constantly and stay elevated. Like icecoldtony a friend lent me a Donjoy Iceman. I didn't have the specific knee attachment but can say it stays cold for many hours. For me the constant motor sound bothered me more than replacing my alcohol ice bags. I made several sets so I always have at least one frozen. They also last several hours as well. Only draw back - the cat likes to chew on the ice bags so then I have to switch bags frequently :)

For the smiley faces, I could not use them if I was accessing Bonesmart through Internet Explorer. If I switch to Chrome or a different internet browser, I can then access the smileys :puppysmooze: :dancy: :cheers:

Take care,
Stacie
 
Nice to here from you Stacie and great to hear you are doing so well. I will definitely keep the exercise bike going - i increased the rotations today so hopefully this will continue as it gets easier. I presume a recumbent bike is the same as my exercise bike? Also great to hear that you think your progress is because of this - a great incentive for me to keep it going.
Hope your conference calls went well and were not too tiring for you. There is such a fine line between just enough and too much isn't there? How is work generally going? Are you finding you are able to cope?

Thanks for the information on the ice machine - after inquiring about the price it looks like I will be continuing with the frozen peas. I wonder if your cat would like those?? Perhaps if they were attached to some fish.

Thanks for the info on the smiley faces - they have been driving me mad but at least now there is an explanation and not me being thick!!!!

I actually went to the hairdressers today like you kar1963 and feel so much better although it's shorter than I have been used to and a slightly different colour but thought as a new woman will be emerging soon I would be more adventurous (not totally sure I like it though, but feels and looks better).

Keep up the good work everyone.

Big hugs x
 
:scratch: I'm sure you are not a twit, and there must be a reasonable explanation for it. In the meantime do this... : ) (^.^) ^.~ and maybe :o). :op :o( or :o/ these guys ought'a hold you over. Lol
 
Thanks Bionic woman - I knew you'd have a solution for the moment - but I wont give up! ( ^ . ^ ) At least i've managed that one.Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 
Hey speedy2
My crazy cats are wired wrong so probably wouldn't like fish with their peas :kittykiss: Have you tried the ice pack slushies? There is a recipe somewhere on the forum here. If you can't find it let me know and I will retype it - they are easy, cheap and very effective. Guessing they will stay cold longer than the peas.

Today I am in the ODIC - the 5 hour meeting yesterday with the hour commute both ways took a lot out of me. Ended up doing all my conference calls from home today so I could keep iced and elevated. I've been a bad girl the last few weeks and was neglecting my elevating much more than my icing. Laying on my back, legs up trying to type - hubby said I look like a chipmunk - he's so helpful.

As far as work I am managing. Loved my 4 hour days but upped the stakes and asked to be released to 20 hour week so I could try some longer days. Finding that the longer days take more out of me and I need some down time to recover. Supposed to go back full time starting next week, but seriously thinking about extending my 20 hours a week until the end of the month. I really enjoy my job and have a great boss, so very lucky with flexibility. Trying to not add stress, but hard to do a 40 hour job in a part time situation. Why are there never any easy answers?

I have to fly to DC for a conference on the 23rd, made arrangements for the more leg room seat directly behind first class and will also use the concierge service to haul me around the airport. Luckily a direct flight there and have a work companion going with me. She just had a bilateral mastectomy so we will make quite a pair on our airport adventure :sos:

By recumbent bike, it is the type where the seat is close to the same level as the pedals, you sit back more rather than higher up - not like a regular exercise bike where the seat is higher. I can do both - recumbent at home and more traditional at PT. This past week I have actually been favoring my left knee more and the right is catching up - interesting.

Too much computer time today, signing out....
Stacie
 
Speedy how do you feel now you got beautyfied.. I feel great it was a bit tough on the knee sitting for the highlights but they are in . I was happy at pt today she got me to 90 and it didn't hurt to bad.. baby steps . I think I am going to gift myself with a recumbent bike anyone have any suggestions or what I should lol for and or avoid. I am short and stout (how many are singing I'm a little tea pot in their heads now...
 
Hi kar1963 - a few suggestions for whatever type of exercise bike you get would be to have an adjustable seat either up/down or back/front so you can fit your size and an adjustable resistance if you can so you can adjust as you get stronger. My hubby is 6'2" and I am 5'4" so that has been very helpful. Mine has a bunch of programmable stuff but really I just use the clock to see how long I've been riding. Sometimes low tech is better. Many have suggested sending an email to all your friends, someone might have one collecting dust that you could use or buy from them. You are about 3 weeks behind me and my right leg was at about 90 after 6-7 weeks then made some big jumps the last couple. Slow and steady - good luck to you.
Stacie
 
Stacie what a hectic life - my knee is groaning at the thought of how you are coping. I think I will ask for a return to work schedule to as going back into the thick of it would be unbearable. I see my consultant in a few weeks time so cant return before then anyway. I find the thought quite scary at the moment although it's something that I want (and need!) to do.

kar1963 glad your beautifying day was a success. I'm still deciding if I really like my hair - think I've gone too short and it was more difficult to style because of it 'think' I like colour...
Answering your question concerning bike, if you choose upright exercise bike make sure that it is a strong sturdy one. A friend of mine has one and it would topple over very easily the way that I have to hang on to get on and off. Like Stacy mine has got a lot of programmable stuff which you really don't need. I would say the stability is a more important consideration. Also Stacy's advice about adjustable seat is important. Shall we all cycle to the coast and meet up for a picnic (ha ha)?

Off to physio again now. Keep pedaling everyone! (^.^)
 
Well, can't begin to say how fed up and depressed I feel! Just returned from Physio where I thought I was doing well... This is a joint knee clinic and today five new patients came ,all three weeks post op. Two came in walking without crutches and the other three propped them up by the door and proceeded to walk over to the exercise beds and then to add insult to injury three of them got a rom of 110% before they'd exercised and the other two were 90%! What the heck is going on? I'm 10 (long weeks) today and 'just' managed 95%. I didn't think these people existed but now I've seen it with my own eyes. I know I will be getting replies saying 'but your only 10 weeks' - yeah, but they are only three and I've seen the scars! Also they were at least 20yrs older.
I'm going to down several glasses of red and eat at least one large bar of chocolate.
 
I can so relate to where you are coming from ! My knee bend is woeful ...ok it is not quite 6 weeks for me but my surgeon when I saw him today has already mentioned a MUA and got all the paperwork ready :gaah: If I hear any more stories from well meaning pals who say oh I know someone in their 80s who had a knee replacement and they were running around in no time......... I am going to :hissy: I share your frustration believe you me !
 
Hi speedy2 and mrs cricklewood
Red wine and chocolate are good for you Speedy2 so enjoy them, think I just might join you:martini: Here's my theory about those 20 years older than us recovering faster (aside from everybody recovers at their own rate) - I believe us "youngers" in the 40-50 range unknowingly over do it because we have so many more life requirements - kids, work, etc. If you are retired and have time on your hands, there is no need to push yourself. I also think because we are so desperate to get back to our "normal" that we tend to push ourselves even when we are "taking it easy". I was a slow starter, especially my right leg - as hard as it is, try to remain patient and take each day as it comes. Look back at where you were and what you can do now. Focus on the little improvements and our new normal" will make its appearance - just slower than we want :gaah:

Enjoy your weekends and don't over do it!!!
Stacie
 
Hi Speedy2 and Mrs. Cricklewood! :)

I completely agree with you on the frustrations of knee bend and not progressing as fast as we would like. It is SO hard not to compare our progress with others that come through PT especially when we see it first hand. However comparison is so bad for our mental phychies... I continue to struggle with flexion and after full warm up yesterday at PT I got to 103 with an effort that seemed too hard.

One thing I learned yesterday at PT is that everyone has their own challenges with knee replacements. I met a lady at PT who was 7 weeks out who is struggling with extension and strength but is totally fine on flexion. Bless her heart, she was still so weak needing help from one exercise to another. It is so amazing to me that we all had the exact same surgery but we all have so many different challenges in recovery. What is my challenge was her strength and visa versa. I feel stronger and extension is coming but flexion is slow.

The only thing we can do is to keep on keeping on and doing our best each and every day and be patient. I am writing this sentence to myself the most. :)

Focus on the little improvements and our new normal" will make its appearance - just slower than we want
SO true Stacie! Us "younger folks" need to focus on the little improvements and relish in that success. We are getting closer and closer to our "new normals" each day.

Thank you all for 'being there for me', listening to me and my whining and simply getting it.

Have a wonderful weekend working hard BUT not overdoing it. Once again, here's to our future and our new knees!!! :egypdance:
 
speedy don't let them oldsters get you down, in the hospital and even my pt mentioned it seems the older patients seems to recover faster for some reason. I personally think that at a younger age your always thinking I need to do this or that and there always seems to be a time frame or some sort of deadline we set up in our heads. Then when things just don't go our way we get antsy.. I just self diagnosed my own issues lol. We will get there one way or another and be better for it .. rock on partners in knee replacement rock on. and I ordered my recumbent bike I can't wait to try it .. baby steps an I agree Mrs crinklewood some storytellers need to stop and think before they tell their tales of people they know.. I trust only the members of the scared knee society.
 
Hi Speedy2
I hope you are feeling better today. It is so difficult not to compare with others. Inevitably we all do it. :no-fin:

In reality we are all unique and special individuals. :yahoo: Our knees are all different, they are in different states when we have our surgery and all our muscles are in different conditions too.

The result is we all travel our own recovery path, no too exactly the same, not even if it is two knees on the same person.

Feeling blue because someone else is at a different point on their journey doesn't really get us anywhere.

The fact is you will travel your own path which will be chosen by your very own dictator otherwise known as the knee king. :bow:
Sorry this sounds like such a lecture but sadly until we accept that our journey is unique we can make ourselves very unhappy.

You are a very special person with a very special knee and you will get there in your own time. Embrace your individuality and enjoy your medicinal chocolate and wine.

Strictly Come Dancing tonight, something to look forward too !

Hugs coming your way,
Toothfairy x :flwrysmile: :bicycle2:
 
Well, what wonderful friends you all are. First of all I feel I should apologise for having a rant - what a stupid woman I am. Yes, you are all right, we are all different -it just seemed to get to me yesterday. I gobbled up so much chocolate I felt sick but it hit the spot as did the glass of red (or two)! I've kicked myself up the bum today and told myself not to be such a selfish woman when there are so many people suffering incurable illnesses and wish they were in our position. Girls we WILL do this together. I know I wouldn't have recovered from my blip without you.
Hope you get your recumbent bike soon kar1963 and then we can all pedal to 'normal' together.
Toothfairy you know how to hit the spot - yes really looking forward to strictly. Probably have another glass of medicinal red to celebrate with. Don't think I will go near the scales for a while!!!!!!
Once again thank so much girls you are all truly amazing.
Big hugs to you all.xxx
 
Speedy2 absolutly no need for apologies. :) We are all here to support each other. You are right we WILL do this together! :flwrysmile:

I can't tell you how many times I get down and depressed then kick myself as I realize how blessed I am even with this challenge in my life compared to others, like you said suffering worse ailments. I guess the moral of the story is "just keep getting up and trying".

Kar1963: Yes I hope you get that bike soon. I have found much joy and loosening, at least momentarily, while riding.

Hugs back to you Speedy2 and to all.
 
:thankyou::puppysmooze::bicycle1: Update on little icons... I've got them!!!!!! :yay:I was looking at the top of the page and not on where you write the message - what a fool. BionicWoman2 I said I'd do it - eventually!!!!!!!!:yay:



:martini: XX
 
Just had to report what a great morning I have just had, i'm so excited and happy . :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: We went to a large garden centre complex and I walked (with 1 crutch) from the car park, all the way around the complex and the couple of shops that are also there and back to the car again. We did stop part way round for a drink and scone (yummy) and I was apprehensive about whether I would be able to get back up but I did! My knee had started to swell but nothing that was unbearable. And to top it all, when I returned home I needed the loo but had a feeling I could get up the stairs without my crutch and I did - just like a 'normal' person (couldn't get down though!!!). Well what a life changing morning. Hope this continues now... The difference was I took Ibuprofen first thing this morning. Hope this is not a one off as I love this new life...:yay: :spin: :yay:
PS since i've got home i'm elevating and icing!!!!!!!!!!!
 
all I can say is I am so glad I found this site...everyone on here is kindred spirits..you all write exactly what I am feeling or going through... and I thankyou all for making me realize that what I am going through..frustration..anger.... feeling sorry for myself ! ..tiredness.... is 100% normal. :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom