Guest viewing is limited

TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely to hear from you Stacie and Kolleen. I have taken the advice from you and others and reduced my exercises to twice a day-it will be interesting to see what the physio says when I go to hospital tomorrow!! Stacie I would say that you are way ahead of me, i'm quite envious. I can just about get to 90% at a push but still cant get my leg straight yet. Also aren't you doing fantastic on your exercise bike? 5 mins is amazing! Although I can manage a couple of rotations on the hospital bike, for some unknown reason I cant manage that on mine and have been doing what you suggested Kolleen just going backwards and forwards. As for the car, i have difficulty just sitting in it and its quite a pantomime getting in so wouldnt attempt driving yet although I long for that day.
Sleeping is still something that I can only 'dream' about (ha ha). Last night went to bed at about 10.45. When I woke the temptation to look atthe time was too great hoping it would be at least 3 - it was 11.25pm!!!!!!!! Another looooooooooooooonnnnnnnng night. It's like the dance of the pillows, constantly moving them around to try and find a comfortable postion that lasts longer than two minutes.
I am interested Kolleen how long you are managing to walk? I live on a small estate and walk around that- it would take an 'normal' person 5 mins however it takes me 40mins and this is a huge improvement on the hour it first took.
Hope you are both make small step progress and like me realising this is how it is going to be.
 
"Normal" is such a relative term. You said that by the last few weeks before the TKR you could barely walk--the culmination of 8 years of worsening pain. By comparison, you're feeling a heckuva lot more "normal" now. I can tell you that even though the initial 4-6 wks or so after my LTKR seemed to be more troublesome than after my RTKR last year, at the point I am right now after my LTKR (3-1/2 mos) I am feeling MUCH more "normal" than at the same point after my RTKR. How I wish I'd felt this good last year when I took my European river cruise--I'd have had much more mobility with much less pain!

Why was my early LTKR recovery tougher than last year's? Probably because more had to be done to straighten and even up my L leg length vis-a-vis the right (even though more bone and preexisting tibial fracture repair hardware had to be removed from the right leg during last year's RTKR). I was worked a lot harder in PT this time--I learned the hard way that "less" is sometimes "more" when it comes to moving a swollen and rebellious knee post-op. I took an inadvertent weeklong "kneecation" after 2 wks of outpatient PT due to first a back strain and then travel obligations; when I finally got home with my back pain cleared up, I found to my shock that I'd gained so much ROM that I could finally pedal my upright bike full revolutions at resistance.

So why am I walking (and sleeping) better and more comfortably now than at this point last year? That "kneecation," the revelation that came afterwards and its accompanying boost in confidence; the fact that both my legs are now the same length and my feet are more parallel (eliminating hip and much foot pain); and--I won't kid you even though I rationalized for years--I've lost 50 lbs. since the RTKR. More in my own thread (or the "airport metal detector" thread)--but in brief, I flew today, navigating two airports sans wheelchair or even cane (my "spinner" roll-aboard case helped guide me), and was able to demonstrate sufficient strength & mobility to be allowed (and entrusted) to sit in an exit row seat. On Southwest, I actually had more legroom than I've had in some pricier airlines' business or even first class seats.

The caveat is that it took me >a year & a quarter to reach this point. It is a long haul, and (knock wood) if nothing goes blooey (such as a bad spill or an infection), I will slowly continue to improve. I realized that when I thought about it, I'd felt a sea change at about 6 months, but it was never really an abrupt "aha moment." Realistically, I reached the "nearly normal" point shortly before my LTKR--almost a year after the R one. And even then, I still had one bad knee, one shorter leg and one sore metatarsal. I would expect that, considering I had the RTKR in June 2012 and the L almost a year later, I will feel much more "normal" by June 2014 and probably reach the point where I never really think about my knees another 6 months-1 yr. after that.

Does that sound discouraging? Look how long you suffered before your surgery--8 years! 2 years is not that long a time once you're there (though for awhile along the journey it'll still feel like an eternity). You WILL get there!!!
 
Hi Sandy, thanks for your reply. I was a bit of a fool thinking that I would feel so much better by now. Yes in many ways I am - the dreadful arthritic pain has gone but has been replaced with others that i know (hope!) will go - eventually. I will just have to wait a little longer to start my 'new, exciting life of walking' although i can enjoy interludes along the way. I am very impressed with your weight loss and know that this is something i should and need to do. stupidly over the years I have lost weight only to regain it again later but in anticipation of my new start, i know that it will be beneficial to the life of the new knee and also how I feel about myself so will try to find your thread to see how you did it. I have a wedding to go to in December so I need to get a move on!!
I am glad to hear that you have progressed so well even though it has taken a long time but I can tell that you are enjoying your new found freedom, keep enjoying every day!
 
reading through all these posts and forums make me feel so much better..Today it is Friday and on Monday it will be 4 weeks since I had my total knee replacement..and when I have seen my physio every week all he seems to say is I should have more bend in my knee...I have to see my surgeon in another 3 weeks but I know one thing there is no way in hell I would be going back in to have the knee stretched or ripped or whatever it is that they say you have to do if you don't have enough bend...And what on earth made me look at those graphic knee replacement photos..what was I thinking..now I really feel ill.........Anyway my knee is still swollen though I have to admit I have not been icing and elevating it enough, though I am making up for lost time. I am on one anti inflammatory tablet each day and my physio gave me a compression bandage to wear during the day. At night I have been taking panadeine forte ( panadol and coedine ) which takes away the pain and I am able to sleep thank goodness...but I know now that we are all different and maybe I should have more bend..but this is my body and my knee and we are all recovering at different rates..This forum has been marvelous for information.
 
Hi Speedy - I'm at 11 weeks out, and I remember saying to my husband, "I'll be so glad when I just feel normal and can move around without thinking about my knee." I'm still not there completely, but I do have those moments where I forget that I had a TKR 11 weeks ago. Yesterday I went grocery shopping and didn't think about my knee once til I sat in the car and felt the pressure on my scar from my jeans. Not very long ago, I went to that same store and was in a lot of pain waiting at the check out line (after a much shorter shopping time) and then completely worn out when I got home, taking pain pills, icing and elevating. I think those good moments will continue to string together until they become hours, then days, then weeks etc. We all improve at different time schedules, but we all improve. I do think you should be taking something for pain relief however. I take Tylenol every day 3-4 times and sometimes Tramadol at night.
 
Hi Speedy2,
I had a RTKR on August 26th and while I am doing very well I'm guilty of overdoing it ,which I think is probably a common problem. I don't know how you are managing going thru this without pain meds. YIKES! I stopped taking the heavy pain meds during the day but I take them at night to help me get some sleep because after like everyone else mentioned the nights are the worst! What I take during the day is Advil and Tylenol and I wonder if this is this something you could do?

I just had my very first outpatient PT two days ago and in my Dr's orders he did say no weights whatsoever for at least 12 weeks so I'm wondering if the weights you are working with aren't causing even more inflammation. My regime at this point is walking the 100' down to the barn and back up with the dogs. Yup! I am finding that incredibly exciting :gaah:

I'm so happy you found this board,got some great help and insight to what has happened to our bodies. It sure does take along time to heal
 
Lovely of you to reply Brithael,Mrs Criclewood and Muddypaws and so interesting to hear your experiences and thoughts. I'm going to google the medication you have mentioned as many USA members have mentioned this so not sure if we have it hear in the UK or if it is known by a different name. It will be lovely Brithael to go shopping and forget this darn knee, but I know that i have this pleasure to come...
Just returned from my weekly Physio class at hospital and mentioned to them that I thought the weights might have caused my progress to stall this week. They agreed and have shown me other exercises to do, some using the stairs. Incidentally there was an older man there today who came out, very very wobbly and could hardly walk but was doing so without any walking aids saying I should throw mine away and get on with it. I was too polite to respond that i cant wait but when i do I want to be able to walk properly and don't intend to keep my crutch any longer than necessary!
Going off track now are you finding it difficult to fit into your normal 'old' trousers? I have found mine are far two narrow in the leg to accommodate my swollen knee/leg. I'm fed up of wearing jogging type bottoms and wouldn't be seen dead in leggings (bum far too big, but must work on that!). Trousers here all seem to have narrower legs or are very old fashioned - not that i'm the height of fashion!
Also on another note how do you get these lovely'moving' icons that everybody seems to use????
 
Hi Speedy 2,
The real name of Advil is ibuprofen. Not sure if they have that in the UK but if you can find it that stuffs works. I just put on my Blue jeans today because I was tired of looking like a slob, well I might go back to the slobby look because the jeans are rubbing my scar. UGH! Hoping the scar toughens up because I live in my jeans!! Maybe you could find a pair of trousers that are looser in the leg and wear those for awhile.

I must say my knee isn't swollen at all but I do ice quite a bit. I also sleep in a hospital bed that I rented, that way I can sleep all night with my toes above my nose! Seems to keep all the swelling down. One of the better things I did during this wonderful procedure :) Very happy your Physio person agreed with you about using the weights. Bet you'll feel better in a day or so :happydance:

As for the moving icons, you touch the smiley face up there ^. When you touch him a lot more of them drop down. You can scroll down and choose which ever one you want to use, touch the one you want and it uses it. Whallaa!!
Hope you are feeling much better. Jen
 
My regime at this point is walking the 100' down to the barn and back up with the dogs. Yup! I am finding that incredibly exciting

It's a amazing the simple things that get us excited now. Right now just 9 days out, I'll be happy to go to the grocery store and ride in the buggy/hoveround thingy.

Speedy, hopefully you've figured out the emotion smileys :tada:as they also bring me great joy now. :loll:
These is one of my favorites: :umm::egypdance::gaah::scary::bicycle2:

Another thing you can do is add your surgery date to your signature.
Once you log on, hover over your user name in the top right corner
a drop down screen will pop-up
Click on signature
a message like box will open up and you can put in a knee abbreviation and date, you can also add your name, say something witty, or put in a smiley character. I went overboard as you can see from my signature. :heehee:

Hang in there, I am finding that my right knee that is about 14 weeks old is finally getting a clue. My new in-home P/T who is a dream, thinks that aggressive p/t and my ODIC (Over Do it Club) mindset may have been part of the set back. Good job speaking up about the weights, :yes!: I can only hope I stick to my guns when I go back to my other P/T.
 
Hi Speedy 2,
It was quite a while before I could fit into my trousers due to my knee being too swollen and I wore baggy joggers for weeks after knee one. :yikes:
This time I couldn't face wearing them again so at first was wearing shorts and now I am wearing dresses/ skirts with opaque tights which both support my knee and disguise my TEDs.
I can get my trousers on now but still would not want to wear them out all day and if my knee was to swell they would be uncomfortable.
You will get there eventually. Stick with it.
Hugs Toothfairy xx :yes: :wink:
 
I am so glad I read this post! Had no idea my jeans/pants would not fit after surgery. I do not even own a skirt or dress. My dressy clothes are dressy pants! With cold weather coming it will be jogging pants for awhile but you are making me think about a change in my wardrobe. Maybe I will feel better about skirts when I am not so bow legged!!! Great post!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Jozilla
I'm glad you found my post helpful. It's just another possibility.
I have quite a few soft casual dresses that are really comfy to a wear round the house.
Soft yoga pants or any soft trousers that are not tight on the knee would be fine too.
When are you having your surgery?
Toothfairy x :bicycle2:
 
Good morning Speedy2,
How are things progressing with you?
I hope you are well,
Hugs Toothfairy x :flwrysmile:
 
Hi tooth fairy - I go for a ct scan of my right leg tomorrow and hopefully not too long after that. No firm date but I am figuring the way things are moving sometime in November or December. I appreciate your suggestions on clothing tho!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Toothfairy,
Things are a little better thanks. Had a better couple of good days thank goodness (still not much sleep though), the only problem is that I then think yippee i'm getting better and expect to see progress each day and then get disappointed when nothing else happens. Like many people on this site, the tightness on my knee never seems to improve which stops me from having a good 'bend' or whatever the technical term is. When you had your first knee did you find similar problems?? Like you, i I have an exercise bike but am unable to do full revolutions so just go backwards and forwards.How are you and your new knee? Do you have weekly physio at hospital? I too am wearing baggy joggers, i'm sure my neighbours think I've nothing else to wear as they are all navy!!!!
I'm glad you found this post useful Jozilla-it's amazing the things that you don't think of pre op. I also found wearing pyjamas in a bigger size once I had had my op useful as I found it difficult getting in and out of bed and the bigger pyjamas allowed me to move easier across the bed without them being uncomfortable. However in hospital a nightie was essential for the dreaded bedpan!! And if you want one more bizarre tip, I put a plastic bag on the passenger seat of the car which makes it slightly easier to move.

Sounds like I've had a brain op doesn't it?
Well I've painted a delightful picture of myself now haven't I? I'd better go before the men in the white coats are called.
Ps Toothfairy - we have started - will keep you updated! Big Hugs
 
Hi Speedy,
You are doing so well. I had a RTKR in April this year. I have a kidney condition which means I can't have any anti-inflammatory medication and only paracetamol for the pain, so I fully commiserate with you on the pain front.
You should take the paracetamol though, it was probably helping more than you think?
Like you, I was walking on with 1 crutch for at least 9 weeks and wondered why others were off their crutches so much sooner. But like you I had severe knock knee, so I put it down to having regain my balance as now everything like ankle, knee and hip has been realigned. I did go back to my desk job after 5 weeks, but this was a mistake, I should have taken much longer off. I wasn't driving, I was getting dropped off. Driving didn't happen until at least 15 weeks out for me.
I can only just straighten my leg and my ROM is still only 90 degrees + a tiny bit at a painful push! I am booked in to have an MUA, but really don't know if this is the right thing or if I should give it more time.
I don't know how long it takes to feel normal, but I know it is different for everyone. I made the mistake of comparing myself to others and all it did was depress me further.
We have all done so well to get to where we have, including you. Try and keep your chin up. Keep telling yourself (which I do) that this will pass and you will get better.
Very best wishes to you. love and hugs
 
Hi Sparkie,

Sounds like you're doing amazing! Back at work at five weeks - I wont tell my boss!! Actually they have been amazingly supportive as they know that I want to return as much as they want me too. However, because of the nature of my job will need to be much more stable on my pins and also need to get this swelling under control and of course stamina with walking...not much to go then...
Interesting to hear about your driving experience, I certainly wont attempt it until I feel ready. It will be a start to get in the car easier!
Not sure what an MUA is but can appreciate that you would feel anxious about having any additional procedure unnecessarily. However, i'm sure your consultant will be the best person to advise you as everybody's circumstances are so different and he knows about 'you'.
You are so right when you say its wrong to keep comparing your progress to anyone else but so easy to fall into that trap. I go to a physio session every fri with other knee patients and it's interesting to see how we all find different exercises easier/harder than others. I have found this much more helpful than the 1:1 brief session I had with a physio who just seemed to want to tick boxes and not interested in me or my progress.
Feeling it easier to cope now, partly because i have improved and also because i have reluctantly accepted that I can't push my knee, it will improve at its own pace. However, this doesn't stop me feeling fed up sometimes but try to make this as infrequent as possible.
You are right, we are all doing well in our own way and deserve to be proud of how far we have come, realizing a better life is just around the corner...
Big hugs

PS to everyone, I still haven't worked out those icons yet!!!!!
 
Hey speedy2 and Stacie! So we are at 8+ weeks. speedy2, I am glad you are backing off on some of the PT. I am not going to use weights at all. My PT didn't think using them was a great idea on a brand new knee. I also didn't do any exercise that caused pain. Just didn't do them! My PT was fine with that. Turns out the pain I couldn't seems to shake was caused by nerves on the outside of my knee. My surgeon, chiropractor and PT finally all agreed about this! So all 3 decided as I was doing well with ROM, 120/0, I should stop all PT except walking. This is to give my nerves time to heal. The nerve was irritated by being pulled to the side during surgery. I guess that is not uncommon.

Anyway, about the bike. My PT didn't want me going all the way around to begin with. The back and forth was just to stretch (no pain!). She put the seat up to normal height this week, as it was her last visit. I am not supposed to use the bike for 2 more weeks. Then I can start by doing 1 minute of rotation and then slowly add a minute each day I feel ready for it and have no pain. Slow and steady.

I think my constant icing and elevating, plus the easy PT (I did only 5 of each exercise 2x daily) has given me the ROM I need. but I didn't have to have additional corrections and I only had one knee done. This gave me a bit of an edge on you two. As for housework, I pick up things around the house occasionally and make my bed, but I do no other housework. Cooking consist of getting something to drink or a bowl of ice cream! I am only at 20-25 minutes walking around a store before I get tired. That is what I am currently working on, gaining stamina and strength through walking. I don't use a cane in the store, just the basket I push.

Hang in there. Ice, elevate, ibuprofen and PT to help not hurt. We can all do this!
 
Nice to hear from you Kolleen. I am so impressed with your 120% ROM - that's amazing! Does that mean that you have lost that tight feeling above/around the knee? Like you, I am trying to build up on the strength and stamina with walking but it's more difficult to do as it's easy to do too much but then what's enough?...
It's good to see that we are progressing. To me it seems weeks, if not months ago that I had this knee, not 8weeks -how about you?
Take care and keep eating the ice cream - I believe this might be the secret of your recovery, perhaps we should all try it.
 
Thanks speedy1. I think the icing and elevating really helped with my ROM. I was wondering just this morning if everyone was given an ice machine to take home from the hospital. I know it makes it so much easier to ice. I even took my machine in the car with me after my husband bought me an inverter.

I still have some tightness, but it is decreasing. I still ice, but only 1 or 2 times a day now. It depends on how much I do. I am still at only 20-25 minutes shopping/walking a day. At that time, I start to get a bit shaky, so I stop. I had to take a break on gaining stamina for a few days after I had two teeth removed. I really have not pushed anything too hard.

The ice cream was after my dental surgery. I was on a mushy diet for a while. So I'm afraid I am going to have to cut the ice cream now. I have lost 40 pounds do to getting my house ready to sell prior to my surgery and the LTKR itself. I do not want to gain it back.

As for time, it actually feels like a long time to me. I still have the right knee to do, so I keep trying to remind myself where I was at different times. That first month was tough for me, so I try to focus on how well I am progressing.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom