TKR Speedy2 Knee's First Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Kolleen, an ice machine is definitely not standard practice to my knowledge here in the UK. I found a large bag of frozen peas kept for this occasion (and refrozen after each use) was the best it got!! It's interesting how things vary from country to country.

You really have been going through it what with new knee and teeth extraction - you so deserve the ice cream and I am so impressed with the weight loss. This is something that I am trying to do at the moment so know how hard you must have worked at it. In the past I have lost quite a bit of weight only to foolishly regain it at a very quick rate and probably a bit more with it. However, I really must do this this time for the benefit of my new knee. I certainly don't want another one anytime soon!
My other knee is OK at the moment, thankfully, however there is a strong possibility I need a new right hip so hopefully if I can loose weight this may delay it even more...

Keep your chin up and yes, remembering how well your doing helps a lot. Just think what we'll be like in a months time...
 
I think all of you ladies are really doing well. This recovery is time consuming and has many ups and downs. Isn't it nice to talk to people who have been there and experienced these things along the way?

I was able to bring my ice man home with me. I guess my insurance payed for it.

You all talked about when "normal" will come back. I think it is a "new normal" that you are searching for. Your old "normal" was full of pain, limping in some cases, unable to join in all the fun stuff, and not being able to walk much. In your "new Normal" this will be different. It will take time to get there. I am at 2 1/2 years and it was well over a year for me to get to the start of my "new normal".I had a long recovery with an infection and a lot of swelling. You will know when your new normal starts. The pain and swelling will be gone. You will be able to walk as much as you want and you will feel good. You can join in on things without fear of pain. It will come, it will take time. Good Luck to all of you!
 
This recovery is time consuming and has many ups and downs.
It is indeed a roller coaster ride with ups, downs, twists, and turns!

You all talked about when "normal" will come back. I think it is a "new normal" that you are searching for. Your old "normal" was full of pain, limping in some cases, unable to join in all the fun stuff, and not being able to walk much.
Great Point!!!

In your "new Normal" this will be different. It will take time to get there. I am at 2 1/2 years and it was well over a year for me to get to the start of my "new normal"
It took me "only" eight months or so to reach 90%-95%. This recovery is a marathon and not a sprint!

You will be able to walk as much as you want and you will feel good. You can join in on things without fear of pain.
Yes---You will be amazed at how great you feel! Do not worry---have patience---it is so very much worth it!
 
"New normal" love this and it is so true!!! I, like you, Speedy and several others am now 8 weeks out, surgery on 8/8/13. I relate so much to what has been discussed. I am one of those " do to much, impatient" people. :)). Luckily the folks on this forum have helped me understand and I am in the process of slowing things down.

I am 45 years old and had unrealistic expectations! I am a road cyclist used to training hard so this is difficult. I am struggling mightely with ROM. I am currently at 105 degrees after big warm up and big PT push. My OS, PT and those on this forum reminded me I might struggle given this RTKR was my 7th surgery and I was quite valgus (knock kneeled) that the OS straightened my leg 8 degrees. This 8 degrees has really messed up my muscles from my hip to my big toe. :). I am learning to be more patient and easier on my knee doing gentle stretches.

Thank you for your questions and everyone's responses. So much to learn, so grateful for everyone!

Let's all stay in touch on progress, quite a few of us at that 8 week mark. I have high hopes for the next 4 weeks. :)
 
Mimi you are so right - i just was ignorant to the fact that I was aiming for a new normal i was just longing for the normal i could just about remember!! However my ultimate goal is to go for lovely long walks so either normal will do!

It's surprising cycling67 how many of us are about the same time frame. Like you I had unrealistic expectations but unlike you I'm not used to training hard-only in my head but was always very busy (and in pain) if that counts. I have realized through this forum that it doesn't matter what age you are recovery is about the individual. Like you I have had my leg straightened at the same time as my knee as i also had a 20% gait but now I have a lovely straight leg that now points in the right direction. Big thanks to my consultant.

Yes i agree, It will be good for us all to keep in touch and offer support, guidance or just a hoot!
 
I am at 2 1/2 years and it was well over a year for me to get to the start of my "new normal".

We are all at different stages and I think that helps to bring different experiences to bear. But I don't see many posts from folk 2.5 yrs post op. So Hello Mini. We talk a lot about `normal or as you said new normal' and also about `getting there'. Sounds like you've managed both.

Just think what we'll be like in a months time...

speedy2 don't make the mistake I did and put target dates on your recovery. It can be so disappointing if you don't achieve them.

I am over 7 months now. I was walking with no pain right up to about 2 months before my op. The few episodes of bone on bone pain got me rushing for the surgery. My recovery has been supposedly straight forward - no infections, no MUA (ROM 120 extension 0). All sounds good, but I am by no means `there' yet. I couldn't stand in a queue and walking in still very uncomfortable. I take heart from the people like Mimi who have crossed the finish line. And of course you will too, but in your knee's time.

Best wishes. Carol
 
Hello Carol,

Yes, you are right about not setting targets only to get disappointed but it's so easy to fall into that trap although hopefully I am a little better at that now. I think one of the main problems is thinking about returning to work although i'm not being pressured at all but you always get asked by friends etc "when will you be going back to work?" If only things were that easy...

You are doing so well Carol and like me and all of us here, we will get there, but we will cross the post at different times but will all be winners.
 
Carol, you understand that the knee is in charge here, in the "knees time" is right on. There is no way in my very long and bumpy recovery that I could have put "goals" on this knee prematurely. That will set you up for anxiety and depression. You don't need that. This recovery is a "one day at a time" thing. No knee will be healed before its own time! Every time you overdo with these knees you set yourself back. Listen to the tings that Josephine tells you cause she KNOWS about these knee recoveries. There are no short cuts, you just have to go with it and be very PATIENT! :yes!:

PS I posted yesterday " Give it TIME and ROM will come". I talk about a long road to gaining ROM after an infection and tons of swelling.
 
If only there was some timer that our knees provided us so we knew what to expect going into surgery. :) I figured all of my pain and difficulty would be in my knee but instead at least 70% of discomfort coming from muscle pain, spasms etc. my OS would prefer me not to use muscle relaxers (I tried Valium- didn't like it). SO I plan to use Ibuprofen, massage and hot tub with lots of gentle stretching and patience.

Speedy are you having this muscle pain from hip to big toe like I am given the degree of straightening done during surgery?

Thank you all for the comfort of knowing "we are not alone".
 
If only there was some timer that our knees provided us so we knew what to expect going into surgery

I smiled when I read this. It is so like something I would say. It's the uncertainty that get's us every time Brenda.

Every time you overdo with these knees you set yourself back.

I am over this stage now, but in the first 3 months it drove me mad because |I never knew when I'd overdone it until it was too late. I could do the same amount of stuff one day and it was OK, the next day it was too much. But at the stage I am now I've pretty well got it sorted out.

I think one of the main problems is thinking about returning to work

Will you be able to go back part time? Is there much standing/walking involved
 
Yes cycling67 I have had muscle spasms too especially in my calf and behind my knee. My physio said that this was to be expected from the work that has been done although that doesn't help with the pain. I have found gentle massaging is the only thing that seems to help. I have also been doing gentle stretching exercises which the physio said would help.
Looking at my knee, where the mark from my previous arthroscopy was, the incision on the right has moved about three and half inches so I suppose that's a lot for the old leg and knee to put up with. I have also been experiencing pain in the groin. The leg has got to get used to its new position in addition to a new knee. I'm very wary of making sure I walk straight as I've been so used to waddling which is not a good look unless your a duck!

We will get through this. xx
 
Ladies, this will make you feel good. Many of you are 8 weeks out. Here is where I was at 8 weeks out. I was still on a walker. I was just getting over my infection. I had a knee swollen up like a large bowling ball and I have very skinny legs...not a pretty sight at all!! And I was still in plenty of pain and off pain meds. Nothing was working for me for pain from day one. And I was having way too much PT at 3 times a week. Oh and my quads still were fast asleep and not working at all!!

I can smile at this now, but it was not funny then. See how well you all are doing? Just be patient and all will come together for your "new normal". It will be much sooner than mine was! :cheers:
 
Hi Speedy2 and friends. I have just been catching up on your posts.
This is a lovely supportive thread. Mimi is right, you are all doing well.
I would advise you not to rush back to work Speedy2. I went back at 13 weeks post op after knee one.
I have not set a date for returning after knee two but I expect it to be something similar.
Don't underestimate the impact of having to be up and out at work, work all day then come home to deal with household stuff.
I only work part time and did half days the first week and still found it challenging. Week two I was supposed to work till mid afternoon but for various work related reasons it just didn't work out and I worked far more. By the end of week two I was exhausted and very tearful.
Week three I was back to normal hours. I am planning to manage my return differently this time.
Patience is the key. Writing updates about your progress here helps then when you feel fed up you can read back and discover that you have actually made more progress than you think.
I have physio tomorrow. I had only three visits the first time. I have had one to one sessions weekly this time apart from last week when the physio I see was on holiday. I don't feel I have made much progress in the two weeks but I will see what she says tomorrow.
Enjoy this lovely sunny Sunday.
Keep up the good work Speedy 2,
Hugs Toothfairy x :SUNsmile: :dancy:
 
Hi speedy2 and Kolleen
I am finding I now need to mentally and physically reel myself in because I am fast becoming a permanent member of the ODIC!! It seems the more I can do the more I am pushing to do. Mostly don't realize I've over done it until it is too late. I still have PT 2x/week and slow and steady progress continues. Now at 9 weeks I am 118/1 left and the right is finally catching up 111/1 - yipee!! I have transferred to a cane which I like so much better than my walker and just this past week decided I was ready for some driving. Nothing crazy - 15 minutes max for distance, but amazingly my right leg feels strong and I have no pain. Really helps since I have two very active kids and am working part time. I have done a few days in the office rather than from home and its amazing how much more exhausting it is just having to get ready, go in, walk to/from the office (long halls), etc.

Thank you all who posted about the "new normal" all of your comments rang true for me. Me and my patience are working on steady progress as we reach toward that day....

Hugs to all,
Stacie
 
Hi Stacie, lovely to hear from you and aren't you progressing well? That ROM is fantastic. I got to 95% on Friday (with help) at physio clinic but feel that i'm on way way... I think the thing that seems to have helped most is an exercise i was told to do on the stairs plus some little pedals that you sit on a normal chair to do. At first I couldn't do full rotations but soon progressed which seemed to release my knee a little - this is equipment at physio gym. Because of this I am now having tentative short sessions on my own exercise bike, and now that we have highered the seat, I can sometimes manage a couple of rotations. I am hoping this will improve my ROM as it feels as if it is helping to 'loosen things up'.

Driving is fantastic and something I long to do. It must be great to be a little more independent? You are doing so well but make sure you don't overdo it. I know what you mean by how easy that is. It's difficult to know what is too much till you've done it!

Well done for returning to work part time. I've got a few more weeks yet at least according to doctors and physio. I see my consultant on 7th November so see where things go from there. Although I want to go back it's a scary thought. It takes so long to get ready compared to previous life, although I have speeded up.
patient 99 suggested returning part time to begin with so this is something I will look into as once there, there will be no time for rest!!

Big hugs Stacie. Enjoy your new-found freedom but don't do too much!
 
Speedy2: I totally get the challenge of trying to " walk straight". It is so strange to see a straight leg and know that it I sized but yet it feels so wrong now. I guess will take time for our muscles to get used to their new home. This getting used to new alignment is painful and terribly uncomfortable. I like you am hoping massage, hot tub, stretching and time will correct the issue. Great job on your flexion!!!! I am still struggling with that but hopping the next two weeks will yield a positive direction.

Here's to all of us reaching our "new normal"
 
I'll drink to that Brenda!

Take care and keep thinking positive thoughts! It's a long old road but we will get there. We're just going the scenic route instead of the motorway.

Big hugs
 
We're just going the scenic route instead of the motorway.

I can see why you call yourself Speedy. Woman, you had your op 2 August. It is now 7 October. If this is what you call the scenic route, any room for another one? <chuckle> Carol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom