BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Sowotiff is on the mend!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by sowotiff, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Seems really early for anything directly on incision now.
    I use coconut oil now as I'm dry all the time and it keeps it supple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I don't know that I'd consider it vain.
    Thinking it's pretty normal as a woman to not want a big old ugly scar.
    We'll leave that for the men who wear them as a badge of honor :shrug:
    It seems early to be using anything but your OS can advise on Wednesday.
    I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E. Many have used that also and many have used Bio Oil.
    Tea Tree Oil seems to sting ever so slightly. Never used it on my incision. I'm just speaking of it on skin in general.
    Wishing you a good visit with the OS and a great week!
    @sowotiff

• Like Like x 2
  3. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Post-op day 12 lesson learned--- Not ready to transition to sleeping in the bed! Last night I thought I would try sleeping in my bed since I have been sleeping in the recliner since surgery. Not a great idea. I started with a pillow between my knees that seemed to help for the first couple of hours, but then it was downhill from there. Mostly those darn staples are just so uncomfortable. I'll give it another try tomorrow night after the staples come out. In the meantime, an extra nap is definitely on tap for today.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. SaraK

SaraK post-grad

Don't be surprised if it takes awhile. It took me a few days to make the transition each time and I didn't have staples to deal with. I slept in the bed a little longer each night but moved back to recliner if I woke up with any pain or had trouble getting comfortable again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MammaT

MammaT supremo

I just really started back in bed the last few days, right before four week mark. I also started out a couple of hours at a time. You will get there, and getting staples out will no doubt help. Glad I didn’t have any staples with this, but have experienced them in the past.

6. Layla

Yay for naps! Take advantage, they seem to fall by the wayside.
    I'll bet with those staples out you'll be more comfortable doing everything.
    Funny how a bunch of little old staples can hold one back!
    Hope you soon experience a comfy cozy night in your bed! :yawn: :sleep: :alarm:
    @sowotiff

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had the same experience add SaraK.
    Actually took me months before I could find a way to get comfy in bed and with legs wanting to move constantly felt like I was keeping DH up all night.
    Now I sleep like a rock.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Had my 2 week post-op visit today with the PA. X-ray looks good. Incision looks good. Staples removed (18 in all) yay! Steri-tape for another week or so. Supposed to continue TED on operated leg for 2 more weeks (yeah right)! Can drive today. No lotions/ oils, submersion until 6 weeks. Limit car rides/ drives to 45 - 1 hour and then take a break.

I asked about metal and travel. Yes there is metal in my replacement, but since 9-11 the airports are not accepting the medical/ implant cards. So, I just need to mention it, plan for a little extra time, and they should be able to see the implant with the new machines.

I now need to begin to think more about when I will return to work. I have my calendar cleared for 12 weeks, but doubt that I will be out that long. Here's my initial criteria for myself. I reserve the right to alter this at any time:
    1. Minimum of 6 weeks post-op
    2. No need for mid-day icing
    3. No pain interrupted sleep
    4. Minimum need for day time pain reliever usage
    5. Minimum walking aid/ can usage
    6. Sustained daytime energy

I can consider a phased return, but it isn't super conducive to my work. We'll just see.
    Had a lovely lunch out with my SO after the appointment. Now home icing and relaxing!

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  9. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Congrats on getting those staples out @sowotiff. Sounds like excellent visit. I have flown with my thr and I have been tsa precheck with southwest. I go through precheck, tell them I have hip replacement, get put ar head of X-ray line. No real hassle.

I like your criteria for work return. I do keep ice pack in freezer at work so I may use it at desk some days. I am planning part time in office hours after 6 week visit and hope to be full time at 8 week point. like you, I reserve the right to alter but the way things are moving I think I am on track for the plan.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Enjoy that first drive!

10. Layla

Hi @sowotiff
    Sounds like the perfect visit with your OS. I'll bet you felt relieved afterward knowing all looks as it should
    and you are progressing as expected. I imagine it was nice to get those annoying staples out also.

Early on, actually for a couple months, I found car rides to be fairly annoying by the 30 minute point.
    It felt like the op side of my rear was sore, or like I was sitting on a golf ball. In addition, the seat belt buckle hit
    at a point over my incision which caused discomfort. I used to bring a gel ice pack with when I'd drive and place it over the area of my incision that was affected. It worked great.

The criteria you're using to gauge when it's time to return to work sounds reasonable.

It's wonderful you had an enjoyable lunch with your SO after the good news. I hope your evening is peaceful!

• Like Like x 1
  11. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

2 weeks post-op. Today SO returned to work. Grateful for the help and support, but am also grateful that she returned to work a few days early! The doting was getting to be a bit much. And, the dog stays so cranked up when she is around. Today should be peaceful and quiet.

Tried again sleeping in bed last night, post staple removal. Better, but not great. I know it will take time, but I am getting antsy to return the house to normal!

A friend was supposed to come for a visit, but rescheduled to Saturday, which is just fine by me.

On today's agenda, a pedicure and quick run through the grocery store to pick up veggies for dinner. I should probably try to increase my walking just a little bit (according to the BS Activity Progression) and am not comfortable walking outside, so I'll use the grocery store as a walking exercise.

• Like Like x 4
  12. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

@sowotiff I’m impressed with your recovery! 2 weeks and you’re running to the grocery store, you’re inspirational. My husband will be home the first week and the second our daughter will be here while my husband works from home as much as possible. I was hoping to be mostly off the walker/crutches by then as well as off prescription pain Meds, so thank you for letting me know it’s possible. I hope that you start sleeping better in your bed soon. Maybe the increased activity will help.

13. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    @sowotiff you are doing awesome! I felt soooo much better once those horrible staples were removed! Braving the grocery store already? Way to go!

• Like Like x 1
  14. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

17 days post-op. Yesterday I had my first visitor. My BFF came and visited for a long time. We made lunch and went for my first stroll outside. Wow, I definitely noticed the slight hills in my neighborhood. However, it did feel good to get outside for a bit. Today I'll try another short walk outside, tackle a load of laundry and make dinner. That should be enough to wear me out!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Layla

Hi @sowotiff
    Wonderful update! You're doing awesome at two and a half weeks post op.
    We do tire easily in those early days. Hope you're still able to nap and sleep
    well at night. Mastered the bed yet, or is it still uncomfortable? Took me three weeks.
    A great week to you!

16. gillycat11

gillycat11 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Love your pre work check list. You sound very organised and motivated. Making me sound positively lazy- I didn't go back to work until 16 weeks and then on a phased return. Have now completed 3 weeks and am up to 30 hours. I found the driving in and back the hardest and not having the option to just get up and wander about when I felt like it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Post op week 3 (almost)! Recovery is going well. I can get around pretty well without cane. Still take it with me when I venture outside of the house. Still taking ibuprofen routinely, but I have accidentally forgotten a dose or two which I think is a good sign. I'm pretty sure I should be walking a bit more. I can't get myself into the routine of doing laps in the house. And, it is still too cold, IMHO, to walk outside. I try to take short outings that require me to walk, but that usually results in me spending money that I shouldn't be spending. We do have a treadmill upstairs, but I am a little reluctant to use it, especially if home alone. I am cooking meals and doing very light cleaning.

I got my approval for short-term disability, but they only approved 6 weeks based on the doctor's recommendation. Apparently I can request more time if needed. Wondering if anyone in the US has any experience with requesting more time? Part of the issue is that my 6 week check up with my OS isn't until after STD expects me to return to work. Should I request an extension from STD or try to move my appointment up with the OS (which I think will be challenging to do)?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Layla

Happy Three Week Anniversary tomorrow.
    Time sure flies when you're having fun :heehee:
    In reality, time did seem to pass more quickly than I anticipated it would
    wonder if you're feeling that....
    It sounds like you're progressing nicely. Keep it up!
    Enjoy the rest of the week.
    @sowotiff

• Like Like x 1
  19. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Post op- 1 month! Just checking in. Nothing really to report or share. Everything is progressing slowly but surely. Hoping the weather breaks, so that I can get outside a little bit more. Doing most thing around the house. Minimal pain, but I am still taking ibuprofen a couple of times a day. Happy spring everyone!

20. Eman85

Eman85 graduate

Don't know what STD you are receiving, mine is a private policy I purchased through my employer deducted every week from my Check. They allow for 11 weeks of payment after the first 2 weeks with no payment. FMLA gives 90 days and then it's up to the employer.
    I'm coming up on 6 weeks and I can see that going back to work would be a mistake and would prolong full recovery. I can work and have gained sustained daytime energy quite a bit, but still not close to 100%. I don't have pain interrupted sleep and sleep the whole night but I still ice after PT. I can walk 2 mi but definitely feel it afterwards.
    I plan on staying out the 90 days and more if my OS or I feel I need it, I'm not screwing this up. I can see this being quite a long term to full recovery or what I want as full recovery. Many I know personally that have had this say it's close to 1 year before they feel 100%.