THR Sowotiff is on the mend!

@sowotiff please call your doctor, I don’t want to alarm you, but you need to speak to a doctor right away. It may be nothing, but let them decide that please.
 
Hi @sowotiff
One week anniversary today! Hope it's a good day.
I'll bet you're seeing improvements already.
I found recovery to move much quicker than I imagined.
Hope your pain is well managed and you're able to rest comfortably.
Wishing you a great day and weekend!
 
Today is the 1 week anniversary, yay! @Layla I wish I could say that recovery is moving faster than I expected, but it is not. It is, however, moving just as I thought it would which is slow and steady. I am not worried much about it at this point.

I spent the better part of the last week sleeping. I don't usually sleep well and am not a napper. So, if I have slept as much as I have it is because I needed to do so.

My pain is managed, there, but managed. However, I am not being a hero about pain meds. I'm still taking the strong stuff as prescribed. I am willing and able to sacrifice fogginess for pain control.

I am taking trips to the potty, but that really is it. I haven't tried to go up stairs or outside. I don't have to make meals for myself, so I haven't. I am quite enjoying being waited on!

I haven't thought about trying the cane instead of the walker not more than 2 seconds. I know I'm not ready to do here just yet.

I am icing, elevating, and staying committed to the DVT cuffs. I have abandoned the TEDs because they are causing skin irritation on both of my legs.

@AJinNH I did call the OS this morning and got a call back from the PA. The breathing is nothing to be concerned about. Sometimes the diaphragm gets irritated after anesthesia and it "catches" every now and then. It should work itself out in time. I'm just watch it for worsening or added symptoms.

Expecting some mental clarity to resume this week, so I am also expecting boredom to set in. As of now, I haven't been awake long enough to get bored.

Follow up with OS a week from today. I have my SO playing full time nurse until March 12th. So, I think I'm in pretty good shape. Hoping everyone is doing well!
 
@sowotiff I'm so relieved, thank you for letting me know that you're okay. :flwrysmile:I'm glad that you called your OS, better safe than sorry.
Congratulations on your 1 week anniversary, sounds like you're taking good care of yourself and letting your body rest. I'm sure you'll be increasing your activity levels before you know it. I don't think I'm going to mind being taken care of for a couple of weeks either, especially knowing that it's temporary. Enjoy the pampering and resting.:console2:
 
I'm beginning to get think that the first week of recovery isn't real recovery. Yesterday was the toughest day I had; I spent the day trying to get comfortable and couldn't really ever manage my pain. I slept terribly last night and all of a sudden my recliner isn't working for me anymore. 8 days post-op is when the real recovery begins!
 
No way to get comfy...you are right.
And after all the "yes, I did it" adrenaline wears off...seems tougher.
Patience, stay on time with meds and don't discount the power of ice.
Healing sympathetic hugs:friends:
 
As you start feeling better, you start moving around more. As you start moving around more, sometimes it hurts more. Consider whether you've been increasing your activity and, if necessary, dial it back some so that it's not causing that level of pain. As Mojo said, though, some of it is the initial novelty wearing off. Be kind to yourself! And know that it WILL get better!
 
Hi @sowotiff
It feels like a mean dirty trick, I'll bet.
I don't think it's that uncommon to have those days early on.
I'm sorry your pain felt unmanageable yesterday. I hope that's improved today.
Hopefully things are looking up today.....Day #1 of recovery, right? :heehee:
Hope your weekend is comfortable and peaceful!
 
Today is the 1 week anniversary, yay! @Layla I wish I could say that recovery is moving faster than I expected, but it is not.

I have 2 days on you, understand your feelings. Everyone keeps reminding us that everyone heals at a different pace. Getting comfortable is a full time job. :sad: It will get better. I thought of the use of a cane for 2 seconds too. No where near ready.
 
I was so mad at my SO when she bought th recliner. It is very nice and VERY expensive. I know after this recovery we won't really have a use for it. That being said....THANK GOD FOR THIS RECLINER!!! I have laid in bed 3 times and it was pure misery every time . I can't imagine trying to sleep in bed. I know this will be my spot for weeks to come. I am so glad to have a SO who doesn't listen, sometimes.
 
Hahaha!
Hubby bought me one for recovery. I went with to the furniture store.....begrudgingly. The salesman attempted to talk us into a lift recliner. I said NO, because I didn't want the dumb recliner in the first place. Hubby said "Yes, we'll take the lift recliner." That was the best decision!!! My SIL has been using it for the past 5 weeks as she just had a TKR and my mom will soon use it for her second THR. It's the recovery chair! At least we're getting our money's worth.

I slept in mine for three weeks straight. Comfortably too I must add.
I'd sleep soundly for 3-4 hrs, wake for bathroom break, back into the recliner for another 3-4 hrs of sound sleep. I was ready to get back into bed after 3 weeks though. I'll bet you will be too. It's comfy but not like your bed.
If you like your bed....
Sweet Dreams in the recliner tonight! :yawn: :sleep:
@sowotiff
 
I still love my recliner..a godsend for me during recovery. It is also where most of my sleeping happened!
Rest well....keep icing!
Hope you have a peaceful Weekend.
 
Post Op Day 9:
Today seems like the day when pre-op and post-op worlds are colliding. I still have some surgical pain and discomfort, enough that I don't want to mover around too much. Yet, I have energy so I do want to move around. But, I'm still pretty dependent on my nurse to take care of me and get me basic items (I went to the fridge to get a snack but couldn't get to the bottom drawer). My appetite is increasing but so are my cravings. Just sent my SO out for a turtle sundae from the local custard shop. Oh, and yes, tears. Not a ton, but enough to give myself a short-term pity-party. 4 days until staples are removed. I am hoping that helps with some of the discomfort.
 
I didn’t have staples with last hip, but in the past I have found them to be uncomfortable.

Many of us have a pity party or two (or more). Post op blues are a reality. The link to info on that is in information Josephine posted for you right after surgery. I go back and refer to a lot of those because my brain is a little mushy for a few weeks after surgery.

I totally get the feeling of wanting/ not wanting to move. Easy movement does help my hip discomfort.

In terms of getting things, can SO put some of your go to snacks/ items on shelf where you can reach? Since I live by myself, I rearranged things so they were easily accessible to me. That means more things on counter and table than usual, and different organization for fridge, but it increased my self sufficiency.

Sounds like you hit the right idea with turtle sundae. Definite healing properties!

Hang in there, you will notice positive changes soon.
 
You're doing fine. One week out from major surgery. Only do what you feel like doing
It has a grand payoff, so be patient.:console2:
 
Last edited:
Hi @sowotiff
Do you laugh at those pity parties hours after the fact.....I did! :heehee:
Sometimes the most bizarre thing rubs you the wrong way and puts you in a twist :hairpulling:
I think frustration and boredom play a large part also. You're constantly trying to think things through and if you're anything like me.....can't remember something 5 mins after the fact! Drove me crazy in those early weeks. All part of the process it seems. Hang in there....you'll get there sooner than you think.
You're doing great....really you are!
Enjoy your day :wave: Yay for staples out this week!
 
Day 10 post op - And just like that...the cane. Just took it for a little spin around the 1st floor.

OAN- thoughts about Tylenol (acetominophen) vs. Ibuprofen (Advil, NSAIDS)? My discharge instructions indicate oxycodone 1-2 tablets evry 3-4 hours as needed, may take additional Tylenol with your pain medication, may us NSAID's if needed. I've been taking Tylenol during the day and Oxy at night. However, I think I am more of an ibuprofen/ Advil gal. Today I am going to try out Advil. So far, so good
 
Oh yay for cane!! Congratulations! We must celebrate these milestones - ice cream all around!
Keep the blues away.
I have a love affair with naproxen (Aleve) however must take great quantities 6-700 mg at once
which greatly flares my stomach/gut issues.
I have used Tylenol but even 1 gram per dose several times per day doesn't do much for pain for me.
However if combined with a bit of aspirin and caffeine such as with Excedrine then that 1000 mg dose seems to help. Must be the inflammatory component of my pain. I don't get much relief from codeine or tramodol either but do get dizzy.
 
Wondering about Keloids? Wondering if anyone on here has experience with or treating Keloids. Keloids, for those who do not know, are essentially raised scars that occur after surgery, tattoos, cuts, etc. They are most prevalent in those with higher melanin in the skin. I have not had them in the past, really. I have a few childhood scars that were slightly raised. My tattoo did raise slightly, but my scar from my core decompression last year healed just fine. I am concerned, give the extent of the wound, that my incision from THR will heal less attractively than desired. I know this is a small price to pay, but I would like to minimize the damage as much as possible. I've researched using Tea Tree Oil a few times a day. I am also wondering about the "bio oil" I have heard people talk about in this forum.

I will definitely talk to my OS on Wednesday when I get my staples out, but wanted to check here too.

I am being vain, so I MUST be feeling better!
 
Back
Top Bottom