THR Sowotiff is on the mend!

Home! Resting. Focusing on urinating. Have to go to ER/ Urgent Care to get a catheter if I don't go within 8 hours. So, that is my goal for today!
 
Drink lots of fluids. This is very common after having a spinal. Your system just needs to wake up a bit. Being home you will be more relaxed.
 
Hope your system is straightening out.
Hope you didn't have to make a trip to the ER .
These first days can be rough, but things should ease soon.
Super happy you are through with that bad hip.
All healing stuff now.
 
All systems are a go! Pain is under control and I have the BEST nurse EVER!!! I came home with a DVT machine that I am supposed to use for 2 weeks at night and wear the TEDs during the day. Wow, is that machine loud! I'm thinking of doing the machine during the day and Ted's at night. My SO will be here for 2 weeks to help me get them on and off. Otherwise I won't get any sleep.
 
I totally agree with your strategy @sowotiff ! You do need your sleep and that machine is loud and always active.

Are you taking any medication to thin your blood?
 
Congratulations on your new hi @sowotiff I’m glad you made it home and the plumbing is working. Remember not to overdo it and ice like crazy!
 
Great update! Sounds like you're settling into the business of recovery quite well!
 
Yay! Back on track.
I had the DVT cuffs at home too. Annoying things, they are!
It's great to hear your doing well. Get lots of rest and ice, ice, ice.
Wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend of healing at home :flwrysmile:
@sowotiff
 
Drink loads. You were probably dry on theatre day with fasting, anaesthetic and coming too. You'll have some catching up to do before you are fully rehydrated. Keep up the recovery work! You'll be on the mend before you know it.
 
All temporary...so good you are doing better!
This is a journey we are on, and will be oh so worth it.
Hope you have a restful day.
 
@sowotiff

How are you doing today? Was rereading your journey and glad to hear surgery went well and you’ve got a rockin nurse!! I’m hoping my SO takes great care of me too.

Don’t forget - ice, ice, ice :sleep:
 
Today was nice and uneventful. Lots of napping, a little eating, and a few trips to the potty. Could stand a back scratch and stretch before retiring for the night.

My pain meds are prescribed 1-2 pills every 3-4 hours. Right now I am doing 2 pills every 3 hours. How do you know when to step it down a bit? I was thinking of staying at this rate for a week. Thoughts?
 
And yes I am almost constantly icing and elevating too! Just reread Josephine's pain articles and they were helpful. I especially like the other descriptions of pain that we don't typically think of as pain. I know I have a long way to go and have no intentions of rushing things. However, my SO has not been keeping herself as informed via BS as I have. So, I need to try to educate her as well.
 
Very early days..pain meds, icing, elevating...you are doing right by that new hip.
You'll know when things are ready for you to ease off the meds.
Glad you can rest, that's when healing can really happen.
Hope you have a Good week.
 
Yesterday's major accomplishment.... SLEEP!!! I slept almost all day and it was good. Pain is managed. Icing and elevating ritualistically. Thought I was getting out of using my DVT cuffs because they stopped compressing. Nope, just means SO has to take the machine and exchange fore a new one.

I also realized yesterday that while I can follow all the great advice on BS and can help educate my SO on the BS ways, there are still a bunch of people who have their thoughts and opinions on what I should or should not be doing. Managing the people may be just as difficult as managing the pain!
 
Yay for sleep! @sowotiff
Thought you were going to get away with the losing DVT cuffs, did ya? :heehee:
I feel your pain, they're hateful, I had them at home also.

This is your recovery, you own it, you do it however you choose.
Whoever is judging doesn't understand unless they've been there.
Flash your incision at the naysayers when you've had enough or if they're in your ear
accidentally drop the call :rotfl:.
Best wishes for a great week of healing.....You've got this :yes!:
 
So nice for sleep:sleep:
Good for you, I couldn't get more than a few hours at a time.
Great restorative healing sleep.
Best thing in the world.
Hope today is peaceful.
 
Catching my breath..... Not sure if this is related or not, but it is new for me. The last few days, since surgery, I have had to do a quick gasp for air like I am catching my breath. I am not winded on our or over exerted. I can just be sitting here breathing normally and then I need to gasp. I talked to my mom who has a variety of health issues including her heart. She said she noticed she started doing this about a month ago. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I'm not worried, just wondering.

@Josephine any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Hi @sowotiff
Could it be a side effect of any of your meds? Shortness of breath?
Or the combination of any of the drugs?
That's all that comes to my mind....but I'm not a medical professional.
Consider tagging Josephine and see if she has an opinion?
Hope your day is going well!
 
Back
Top Bottom