BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Sowotiff is on the mend!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by sowotiff, Feb 21, 2018.

1. AJinNH

AJinNH senior

United States United States
    Great to hear that things are continuing to go well @sowotiff and you’re getting back to normal. Happy Spring to you as well. It hasn’t sprung here yet, but there’s hope that it’s not far away.

2. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    @sowotiff happy to hear you’re doing so well! I start back to work 3 hrs per day on Monday after 7 weeks off and then move up to 5 hrs per day the week after. Still have pain but find I do better if I don’t sit too long. I have flexibility to sit or walk around at work. Do you have that kind of flexibility? Are you looking at full time hrs after the 6 weeks?

3. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

@hipster333 unfortunately, my job isn't really conducive to working part-time. It would be more disruptive to the team. So, when I go back it will be full time. I could maybe do a few hours at the office and a few hours at home, but even that won't work the best. I put a call in to the disability representative today and an email out to the OS assistant. I do have flexibility to sit, stand, walk around, and work in various spaces in the office. I'm hoping to push it out as far as I can. Moving around is good I know, but it also wipes me out! Hopefully I can find the happy medium.

4. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Happy Spring! @sowotiff
    You sound great on your One Month Anniversary.
    May it only continue to get better :happydance:
    Wishing you a great weekend as you contine healing!

5. hipster333

hipster333 senior

Canada Canada
    @sowotiff hopefully you’ll get a couple more weeks in std. sounds like a great working environment when you do go back. :)

6. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

5 weeks pot-op. I am happy to report a fairly uneventful recovery. Everyday I get a little stronger, can walk a little further. Only taking ibuprofen PM at bedtime. Not really needing to ice. Wishing I could walk a little further than I can. Yesterday I thought I was going to take a lap around our local mall. Wound up only being able to do a half of lap. Oh well! I've been reading and trying to keep up with everyone's recoveries. I'm sorry to hear that so many have had some set backs or challenges. Sometimes in these types of settings people only report the really awesome news or the really awful. I wanted to post the ho-hum so that folks behind me could see sometimes it is just middle of the road, and that is ok!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bumblebee

Bumblebee senior

Count me in on the "middle of the road club".

• Like Like x 3
  8. Layla

Happy Five Week Anniversary!
    Middle of the road is okay. You're a realist and I like your perspective.
    You're doing well, moving forward and that's all that matters.
    Keep up the good work. Hope your weekend is great!
    @sowotiff

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

6.5 Week Post-op- Things continue along relatively smoothly. Mobility and ROM increasing slowly day by day. Tomorrow I return to work and I am feeling ok about that. I originally thought I would want to try to extend my time off, but really I think I will be fine. Yesterday I was able to get in the pool to walk a little. It felt good and I was sure to not overdo it. I only walked for about 20 minutes. Today was a pretty busy day, many errands and lots of walking. For the first time I am feeling it, but just a little bit. Here's to a great day of work!

10. Jackie222

Jackie222 graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Glad to here that your recovery is progressing well. Good you have a good day back at work. Take us slowly.

11. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Great recovery...you will definitely feel that energy drain...but all in all ...better AND better, right.
    Not even 2 months out...I think you are doing splendidly!
    Hope today is sweet.:yahoo:

12. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Today was ok. I woke up with a twinge under my butt cheek on my op leg. It got progressively worse, but not unbearable, throughout the day. I wound up having to make an impromptu 3 hour roundtrip drive. This was a nice test to learn that, yes, I do need to break up car rides into smaller chunks with a stretch! I planned to leave a little early and should have left a little earlier than that. Back to this butte pain. The kicker is I know just the stretch that would alleviate the pain, but I don't have the ROM to complete the stretch!

13. MammaT

MammaT supremo

Have you tried sitting on ice pack? I have found it helpful for that butt pain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Layla

Check this article out. See if it resembles your pain.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/piriformis-syndrome-a-pain-in-the-butt.9837/

It took me a couple months before I could be in the car for any longer than 30-45 mins.
    The seat belt aggravated my incision and at times I felt like I was sitting on a golf ball.
    Miserable! I used the frozen gel packs for both areas when I drove and gradually was able to
    be comfortable for longer periods of time and lose the ice packs.
    Hope it eases soon for you!
    @sowotiff

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

Hello everyone! I haven't checked in in awhile. Things have been going relatively smoothly. I still have a little numbness and sensation. I've been doing water aerobics almost everyday. Range of motion is increasing everyday. We're gearing up to go on our first real vacation post surgery!!!! In 2 days we are off to the Bahamas for a week. Now, here's the issue. About a week ago I started having some muscle tenderness, soreness in the thigh of my operated on leg. The soreness comes mostly with walking, especially with stairs. Using a cane has helped. I didn't fall or anything so I am not sure where it came from. Now, a couple of days ago I developed welts and a rash on that same leg. The rash and welts are below the surgery site. I don't know if the two are related, but when I google, of course I find all sorts of scary things. The soreness has decreased quite a bit and I don't feel the need to use the cane anymore or take it with me on vacation. I am not due to go back for a follow up visit until spring. Any thoughts? Typical? Cause for concern?

16. Layla

Hi, it's nice to hear from you. Thanks for the update!
    It sounds as though all is going well aside from your current issues. Consider calling the office of your OS tomorrow and speaking with a member of his / her care team. I'm sure through a series of questions they'll either have some advice, or offer reassurance. They'll let you know if it's something they feel you need to pursue or offer you peace of mind before your vacation. It's always wise to check anything unusual out, better safe than sorry. Wishing you the best.
    Safe travels....I hope you have a lovely time in the Bahama's.
    @sowotiff

17. sowotiff

sowotiff junior member

11 months post-op. Hi All- I had left hip replacement via anterior approach in February of 2018. Recovery has been mostly ok, but slow. I still get some thigh and groin pain, especially after extended use. I cannot run or even walk briskly. I exercise in the pool almost everyday, but struggle to do any aerobics classes like Zumba or Jazzercise even if I modify. Slight jarring or stumbles can cause pain for days. Socks are still an issue. Heels, even slight ones, are only tolerable for very short periods of time. We went to the Bahamas in October. I didn't take my cane, but walking on the beach was quite challenging. I went snorkeling and quickly realized that I didn't have leg strength to maneuver the fins I was wearing. Now we are scheduled to go to New Orleans at the end of next week and I decided not to schedule any of the walking tours, because they averaged 2 hours and I am sure I can't go that long. I have my follow up scheduled for 2/25. Wondering how others from a years or so ago are doing, but honestly I can't remember any of the screen names to go back and check on them!

18. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @sowotiff All sounds pretty normal to me for 11 months out. Recovery from THR does take one year or more. Perhaps you are setting your expectations too high.

How about taking a hiking pole on a walking tour - would that help? It will take awhile for you to build up strength in your legs. Walking is really the best way to do this.

19. Layla

Happy Saturday! :wave:
    How about moving your one year follow up appt closer. What's a couple weeks difference going to make?
    It may get you answers, or give you peace of mind. I understand you're struggling from what you've posted. It seems you were questioning your progress and feeling the same three months ago. Rather than wait another 6 weeks, I'd re-schedule with the OS, or tag Josephine and let her weigh in. I'd gladly tag her for you, but not sure of your feelings on that option.
    A few of those who had surgery around the same time as you are as follows -
    Bumblebee
    hikejunkie
    sequin98
    Eman85
    Any others I spotted, haven't been around in quite some time.
    Safe travels to New Orleans....Enjoy!!
    @sowotiff

• Like Like x 1
  20. Debru4

Debru4 graduate

If it were me, I’d see my surgeon before the trip. You are having nagging concerns, and are having pain from things like socks, or a slight misstep for days. It sounds to me like your gut is telling you something is off....I’d listen to it, or get some medical reassurance that all is well.

Lucky you to be going to New Orleans...such a fun place! Only time I went was in August——oh my, was it hot and humid, but what a great time I had nevertheless!