TKR Snoots recovery thread<

Does it reduce if you stop the Tramadol? I'm sure you've considered other culprits too.
 
I’m afraid this is another negative post. This evening my knee seems to have locked and I have lost virtually all range of movement. Is this normal?? I haven’t done anything in particular today but did notice pain and no reduction in swelling in spite of lots of icing.

This morning I was able to climb stairs relatively normally with a bend of 120+* with my left leg but this evening I can’t. My knee refuses to bend further than 100*

Tearful and very confused.
 
:console2:
Tell us what your day was like, what activities and exercises did you do today?
 
@snoots
Despite your op being a week later than mine you seem way ahead of me in your rom so dont feel too disheartened.
I do understand what you mean though. Yesterday was a fairly good day for me. The knee felt relatively free and I felt I was getting somewhere. Then later, despite elevating and icing, it felt so tight, as if there was a tight bandage wrapped around it and the bend was minimal again :-(
These knees are so fickle.
 
@snoots , I think you’re doing great! You mentioned your kids were home on holiday. Perhaps you’ve overdone it too many days in a row? I have been depressed a bit lately, too, because I am longing to do things I used to be able to do so easily and can’t just yet.

I keep my knee wrapped up with an ACE bandage (not sure if they are called that in the UK) for swelling and because it’s uncomfortable to have clothing touching my incision. Perhaps that might help a bit with controlling your swelling? I do hope you’re doing better. :console2:
 
@snoots don’t panic. I’m sure this is just another little set back sent to upset you. Whenever we feel things are good we are reminded there is a long way to go. I now sleep without elevation and I often wake up ‘stuck’ knee won’t do anything. When it did this I would elevate and ice. Physio advises moving first, walking around and getting it going, then ice and elevate. It worked for me.
If it helps I was a stroppy teenager last night. I threw my ice across the room and wept. I am just so tired all the time even though I am sleeping better. So fed up of restrictions and dreading going away on Friday.
@Irish471 I have been ‘desensitising’ my knee. Making sure I touch it, rub it gently massage it. I have since been able to wear jeans without it annoying my wound at all.
 
Last edited:
I have tears in my eyes reading these posts from such lovely caring friends. You are friends now (albeit virtual ones!!).

@Irish471 i think you’ve hit the nail on the head. Yesterday I was Mummy Taxi and thinking back, I spent over three hours driving around. I am being stupid not to realise that sitting in a car with a slightly bent leg for this time isn’t going to make things hurt later.

Today I have friends doing the taxi runs so hope to spend the day on the couch, icing.

This support is so appreciated xxxxx
 
You've graduated from the ODIC.
I wish I'd known about the depressive/anxiety side effects post tkr, it seems so common yet , for me anyway, has been the most difficult part. I've wept + wobbled more over this op than anything else and I've had a few things in my time. Made me chuckle tho @catkin69 about u throwing ice!
 
@Irish471 I couldn't bear fabric touching my scar so last summer I just cut the bottoms off several pairs of comfy trousers and wore them round the house. A horrible sight for the family but so good to let the fresh air at the scar.
 
@snoots , so glad to hear you will spend the day taking care of YOU! I think it’s just what’s needed :console2:
@Spex10 , reminds me of when the dressing came off after my two week check up. I asked my son if he wanted to see. He turned positively green and left the room so fast! :scary:So funny!
@catkin69 , wow! Jeans! I haven’t worn jeans in a month. Come to think of it, I haven’t worn makeup in a month, either :yikes: I have thrown thrown a pair of socks, though. :heehee: I am so fed up with the restrictions, too. We’ve all definitely earned our right to have a melt down!!!
 
@Irish471 after my first TKR I didn't want to scare my wee grandsons. However, they insisted that I show them the scar and they loved it! The little horrors were fascinated. The youngest one wanted to know if, 'The doctor cut it with a big sword'!
 
Evening all. So the plan to take things easy didn’t quite go to erm plan! More driving around but managed to plant myself in the couch this afternoon and had a nap

My knee feels quite swollen and I think it has worsened in the past week due to too much activity.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Snoots recovery thread<
    5EF8736B-F01C-4A76-A43A-08C6E1A2628D.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 192
Some how you’re going to have to say “I’m sorry but I can’t do that for you.”

I know life happens and we can’t always control things but you’re not helping your recovery with all this over activity that your knee doesn’t like. :console2:
 
It’s been a long time since we’ve had kids at home. I love my kids but I love our empty nest also! My husband and I enjoy eeeeaaaassssiiiinnnggg (easing) into our day!
 
@snoots - I know you feel you have to do things for you children, but really this should be your time and your family should be doing things for you. Having to be the family taxi service is not good for your knee.
Do your children have friends whose parents might be willing to help with transport for a short while? You can repay the favour later.
Nurturing mother: how to let go and accept help
 
@snoots I still haven’t driven so I am not my children’s taxi. They only broke up on Friday so they have been happy to chill at home.
Your knee does look swollen . What is the dressing on it? I’m glad you rested this afternoon.
 
Yep, too much activity and/or sitting with your leg down for a long time will lead to swelling. I did the sitting with my leg down too long thing myself once with knee #1. Sometimes we learn the hard way. :console2:
 
@snoots I still haven’t driven so I am not my children’s taxi. They only broke up on Friday so they have been happy to chill at home.
Your knee does look swollen . What is the dressing on it? I’m glad you rested this afternoon.
The dressing is a Mepiform scar dressing I use to flatten the scar. It’s silicone.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom