Guest viewing is limited

TKR Snoots recovery thread<

The diagram in Celle post is where my PT also places the pads... :thumb:

The "rhythm" or mode of the machine for mine is a "tapping" mode and the length of therapy is 15 minutes.... I like it turned up fairly high to where I can easily feel the pulses to the point where you can visually see the muscle/nerves twitch.

My PT also ices my knee at the same time as the TENS therapy.

Best of luck ladies!
 
Last edited:
[Bonesmart.org] Snoots recovery thread<
So we almost come to the end of week 5 and I am a fully paid up member of the “fed up and bored” group of Surgery veterans.

The pain has been bad today but I only have myself to blame. It is almost impossible to rest, ice and elevate during the school holidays with three busy boys ages 10, 12 & 14. My knee is def waving a white flag. I have come to bed in the hope that I can finally get some rest.
 
I also wanted to ask on here. I know we advocate rest and not much exercise but I am concerned my quad muscle has atrophied and it feels very floppy.

Should I be concerned or just focus on rest, Ice and elevation whilst my knee is still quite swollen (moderate)?
 
You should concentrate on resting and gentle movements so your swelling can go down and your leg can heal.

All our quads were weak for a while after this very intrusive and traumatic-to-the-body surgery.

As you heal you’ll be able to do more which will strengthen your quad. Further down the road you can do more to help that along, if you need to, but now is not the time.
 
It is almost impossible to rest, ice and elevate during the school holidays with three busy boys ages 10, 12 & 14. My knee is def waving a white flag. I have come to bed in the hope that I can finally get some rest.
Give those boys some jobs to do! They're all old enough to help and you'll be preparing them well for adult life as good husbands.
 
I also wanted to ask on here. I know we advocate rest and not much exercise but I am concerned my quad muscle has atrophied and it feels very floppy.

Should I be concerned or just focus on rest, Ice and elevation whilst my knee is still quite swollen (moderate)?
For now, focus on rest, ice and elevation.

Yes, your quads will be wasted right now, but they'll recover gradually, as you use them in your daily life.
Don't start strengthening exercises until about 3 months post-op.
 
I worked on my quads pre operatively and did do some straight leg lifts afterwards. You could maybe do some now? It won't hurt your knee. I used to try to write the numbers from 1-10 in the air. That's from sitting in my lounger with both legs up.
 
I also wanted to ask on here. I know we advocate rest and not much exercise but I am concerned my quad muscle has atrophied and it feels very floppy.

Should I be concerned or just focus on rest, Ice and elevation whilst my knee is still quite swollen (moderate)?

@snoots My quad is also in the "floppy" state... but is positively responding to some minor quad exercises.... my quads were in pretty good shape pre-op as I'm an active cyclist (about 3000 miles annually) …. for me... I find the exercises are helping my recovery.... but every recovery is different … YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)… :snork:

Your incision looks great!!
 
Another random question - how long can I expect to be on painkillers for? Tonight has seen a return of my zingers on the lateral and medial ligaments. Most unpleasant and saw me reaching for the Tramadol.....
 
It varies. Some people only need them for a couple of weeks (unusual) and others for quite a while. Lots of people find as the weeks go on that they need less of the "heavy duty" stuff and intersperse with regular tylenol. I was down to 2 vicodin by week 8 and then only needed something before bed for a couple of weeks more. But I was taking tylenol.
 
@snoots I feel ur pain, literally. It really is steps forwards + back, I had a rotten night + still painful this morning yet haven't done anything differently. I think I was focusing on getting past 3 weeks, those being 'the worst' + expecting to be doing better by now. :-(
 
My secret to a happy life is low expectations!! Tincture of time was prescribed for me on this website. It works!
 
It’s SO frustrating. Feel really quite depressed.
 
@snoots I’m nearly nine weeks out, very little pain in knee, just the tight band feeling if I stand in one position for more than a few minutes, the zingers calmed down about two weeks ago however yesterday I had a 10 minute period when they were zinging like crazy- felt like a pneumatic drill on my kneecap, then it stopped and hasn’t come back. I suppose there are lots of different nerve pathways around the knee all healing and reconnecting at different sttages. The main thing is they are reconnecting. On my other knee that I had done two years ago the numb patch is 95% gone and I’m hoping for the same with this knee.
 
@snoots I'm only 3 weeks in + feel the same! I would like to go to bed + wake up in a few months with a pain free , mobile knee please. Without sounding selfish I'm soothed by the fact it's not just me that's struggling . :sad: Let's have a mutual resolve to have a restful, icey, elevating + positive day tomorrow. :console2:
 
Hi @snoots , hope ur feeling more positive today, I've woken up with a bit more fire in my belly + a fresh resolve to be patient + listen to my knee. Sending hope that ur feeling the same.
 
I have another odd question for the forum. Has anyone experienced itchy skin as a side effect of taking Tramadol? My scalp and skin is incredibly itchy!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom