Guest viewing is limited

TKR Snoots recovery thread<

Just be sure you are not taking more than 4,000 mg of paracetamol a day.
 
My prescription was Tramadol three times a day but I honestly don’t need that much so have cut it down to paracetamol 1000mg every four hours during the day and a Tramadol and paracetamol 1000mg before bed.
Make sure that you don't exceed the safe daily total of 4,000 mg Paracetamol in each 24 hours. It may be best to take the Paracetamol 6-hourly if it seems you are going to exceed that safe daily total.
 
@snoots I've just read your story with interest as you're just a week behind me in recovery. I'm interested to hear what is said about medication. When I went to hospital (in France) I said that I wanted no Tramadol. This was because everyone I know who had had this, said that they experienced hallucinations. As far as I'm aware they didn't give me any, and of course we're all different, it might have worked well for me.
My pain was always under control and when I came out they gave me paracetamol, and naproxen (and Tramadol which I didn't take) I now take just paracetamol and had cut back to one or two times 500 mg, but last few days, have had three times. Think I'm overdoing it and not elevating enough?
Really sorry you've had those set backs, but your story is helping a lot of people including me, I think. Good luck and keep writing!
 
@henrietta I hope you are doing ok. I felt perhaps I was being too open and honest but if it helps someone else, then that’s positive.

I think we focus so much on the actual operation and perhaps not enough on the recovery. I completely underestimated the recovery!!
 
@snoots I had missed your updates.
Your knee is looking fabulous. I swore by my tens machine pre-op. It was the one thing that really helped with pain. I used to wear it at work to get me through a shift. I have been too scared to try it after the op. I have a large numb spot that I hate touching so didn’t fancy trying tens.
It sounds like after your awful first few weeks you are getting there finally. I hope things continue in the right direction
 
I find I have very little pain during the day (as I’m icing and elevating) but pain ramps up as I get ready for bed.
Are you icing and elevating during the night, too. I found doing this to help tremendously.
 
@sistersinhim I haven’t been to be honest. I am a wriggler in bed and find it hard to get comfy. I have just broken the bank to order a Lounge Doctor from Amazon USA so I await its arrival with excitement. Mind u, at £100+ it better be worth it :loll:

Yesterday I forgot to take paracetamol during the day so took that as a good sign that my pain levels are coming down. I did take one Tramadol at night and woke feeling ok. Leg is stiff this morning but I my cryocuff helped hugely.
 
I went to Physio yesterday just for a therapeutic massage and she casually mentioned that protocols have changed and now PTs in UK are encouraging patients to push injuries to point of pain but not beyond. I just ignored her and haven’t rebooked!!!
 
I went to Physio yesterday just for a therapeutic massage and she casually mentioned that protocols have changed and now PTs in UK are encouraging patients to push injuries to point of pain but not beyond. I just ignored her and haven’t rebooked!!!
Well done @snoots
My OS said I could do whatever I wanted but not to the point of pain. He knows what he did to me so I am happy to follow his advice.
 
My OS completely agreed with me re saying no to PT! Take it easy. Let your poor traumatised leg heal and keep on doing what legs and knees are meant to - walk about!
 
So we make it to Week 5.

Much excitement today as Mr FedEx delivers my Lounge Doctor. I am slightly underwhelmed with the beige cover but goodness it is comfy. I am in a bit of pain today as I overdid things yesterday. Daddy was ill in bed so I was Chief Taxi Driver. Weekend of watching football, more driving and then watching cricket = very swollen knee.

I iced last night and have taken a Tramadol this morning. PhysioLab machine has been on for an hour and now I’m sitting with my Tems machine on.

I have clearly not listened to my poor knee so am spending the day at home with my new friend LD (lounge doc) and Sky remote.
My Greggs pasty scar is visibly flatter which is great. This has been helped with Mepiform dressing which I’ve used since coming out of hospital.
 
Last edited:
Wow @snoots I didn't realise you were driving already. Despite mine being a left knee op and having an automatic car I'm not supposed to drive for 6 weeks. Anyway I see the OS on Thur so will probably get the go ahead then.

My scar is looking much better too. Suddenly flatter and now that the scabs are gone I am pleased with it.

Glad you like the lounge doctor so much.
 
@snoots I swore by my tens machine pre-op. It was the one thing that really helped with pain. I used to wear it at work to get me through a shift. I have been too scared to try it after the op. I have a large numb spot that I hate touching so didn’t fancy trying tens.

@catkin69 FYI... my PT uses TENS at the end of each session and it is one of the highlights of my visits... I feel it keeps the swelling down and contribute it in part to my quad muscle "waking up" .. you might want to give it a try... :fingersx:
 
@JDinCT
I have a TENS machine at home but like @snoots I have been too scared to use it post op.
Can you tell me where abouts on the knee the PT puts the stickers?
 
I'm glad you have your new toy snoots and I hope it helps to give you some relief.
I haven't driven either. I was told 6 weeks and that I should inform my insurance. I see my consultant on Friday so will ask him then but would really like to try at the weekend.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom