TKR Slow, stiff recovery, PT pain<

@Josephine ,
While the surgery might be only a minor procedure, would it really be necessary since I went from 20 degrees to 10?
 
Hi raingirl Congrats on gaining the 10 that's fantastic!:yes!:. Hoping things keep going in a positive direction for you and no other procedures are needed.
 
would surgery really be necessary since I went from 20 degrees to 10?
Quite possibly not. That's an excellent improvement. I only suggested surgery because MUA is pretty near impossible with extension problems.
 
@Josephine ,
1. Wouldn't the recent change in my extension---that went from 20 down to 10-----make you think that perhaps the arthroscopic div. of lysis might not be needed?
2. If the procedure turns out to be necessary, why did you mention that another surgeon wouldn't do the procedure until I was 6 months out.
-raingirl
 
Wouldn't the recent change in my extension---that went from 20 down to 10-----make you think that perhaps the arthroscopic div. of lysis might not be needed?
Oh good Lord! In my mind I reversed those numbers! Please forgive me!
If the procedure turns out to be necessary, why did you mention that another surgeon wouldn't do the procedure until I was 6 months out.
Because quite often they won't.
 
raingirI, I am 3 days before you, surgery wise with RTKR, and am reading your recovery story with great interest. I, too, have not sailed through this surgery easily and can relate to your struggle with stiffness, extension issues and pain. While I haven't been threatened with any manipulations I did struggle with aggressive PT and I felt, repeatedly that I was a "therapy failure". Also struggled with roller coaster emotions. You are not alone in these feelings. I found this site very recently and so glad you did as well. Pool walking is wonderful but easy to overdue exercises there as you don't feel the stretching. I'm still stiff, and struggling with extension and stairs, and icing as much as I can. I am amazed that you can go to work, but take it easy when you can. I'm glad to hear your extension is improving. That is a big deal!
 
@Josephine ......Oh. Interesting. They were using it on me every day from about day 7 or so, putting the electrodes on either side of my knee. Was it harmful?
 
Well it's only my opinion but I used my own TENS machine on my knee soon after surgery and found it made the swelling worse! And when I read the instruction booklet, there was a caveat in there saying ti was not to be used on fresh wounds! What's that they say about instruction booklets? "Instructions are what you read to find out that you did wrong"!
 
I tried my own TENS machine when I got home, and I felt it irritated my knee pain. Go figure.
 
@mamazipp,
Hope i spelled that right. Thanks for your conversations. Sounds like we're both "not sailing through." I definitely hit a wall several weeks ago and stopped allowing my PT to be so aggressive on me. She is a sweet person with the best of intentions, but i was feeling so beat up and exhausted, with no progress. I slept a lot and iced and elevated a lot (when i wasn't at work or doing housework.).
Lately, though, i have seen improvement. I would chalk it up to electronic stimulation with med. patches, some for pain (dexamethezone? Maybe?), some for scar breakdown (potassium oxide?, if i rememer right). The PT, who is always looking for new ways to help, tried 'em out on me. Really good relief afterwards, less stiff, less pain. I read where you need up to10 treatments to really be effective. I'm up for 10!!!!
 
@raingirl
Me too with the 'hitting a wall'. I'm interested in the electronic stimulation treatment you are having, I'd love to know more if you don't mind.
Love, Tabby xxx
 
@Tabbycat,
It's funny, all us women and our cat. pictures...... Oh well, let's see, the treatment only lasts about 20 mins.; the electric current is just a tickle, really; the PT attaches patches to you leg----about 4 of them--with medication-side down on various spots on your knee. The current runs from the tiny box via wire to a conductor on the patch. Quite pleasant treatment; very noticible improvement afterwards. I would not say it's a miracle and i am all cured, but it was positive and concrete improvement. Ask you PT about it.
 
Bone shards?!?
I am 5 mos. out, still limp, any excercise hurts for days later, and I started using a cane because my good leg/hip was starting to hurt. So I asked OS for CT scan. After scan, OS was too busy to see me, but his PA told me scan was fine, new knee is good- I must have too much scar tissue- sugeon is happy to do open synovectomy to remove it....go home and think about it.
I marched over to med. records and got hard copy of CT scan report. the first line says " There is a bony shard that projects into the distal femoral metaphysis above the prosthesis." Report later mentions "bone shards" (plural). It also mentioned "some locations of lucency, some soft tissue edema and a small effusion."
I phoned OS office and asked for callback on discrepancy between what I was told by the PA and what I am reading in report.
Has anyone else had bone shards, effusion and/or lucency issues (with pain or slowed progress)?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's only my opinion but I used my own TENS machine on my knee soon after surgery and found it made the swelling worse! And when I read the instruction booklet, there was a caveat in there saying ti was not to be used on fresh wounds! What's that they say about instruction booklets? "Instructions are what you read to find out that you did wrong"!

This is interesting. In my PT appointment from he** that was for staple removal and turned into one of the longest hours of my life, he did the e-stim on my knee for 15 minutes. I felt absolutely no pain relief and felt horrible for two days afterwords.

@raingirl, bone shards?!? I would definitely want some solid answers on that report, especially since the PA told you a completely different story.
 
Effusion is swelling. I can't answer about bone shards. My first OS left loose pieces of cement floating around in my knee so I think I can understand how much pain you must be in. I hope you get your answers soon. I don't know if I could trust a OS that would have left such a mess in my knee.
 
" There is a bony shard that projects into the distal femoral metaphysis above the prosthesis." Report later mentions "bone shards" (plural). It also mentioned "some locations of lucency, some soft tissue edema and a small effusion."
I phoned OS office and asked for callback on discrepancy between what I was told by the PA and what I am reading in report.
With this kind of report, I would no longer trust this OS or PA.
Suggest you seek a second opinion, you can search using the find a clinic button at the top of the page. Search for an OS who specializes in revisions or complex joint reconstruction. You can find that information on most web sites, or you can call the office. Be sure your second opinion has no relationship with your present OS, not even golf buddies.
 
@newlybionic @pumpkin @LoveGiants
Thank you all for your advice and input! Yep, I no longer trust this OS. He will not have a chance to cut into me again. I have a 2nd opinion scheduled at another hospital, but couldn't get in until mid-Sept. Boy, these folks are busy! Luckily i have my cane to take the load off the good knee!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom