Guest viewing is limited

THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette , I had the same experience. One day an activity would be impossible and I was in tears. Tried it again in a few days and it was easy. Slow and steady. You are doing great!
 
Hello, everybody! Just wanted to report on what feels like a red-letter day for me in the recovery process. Been having 3x/week PT at home with a really good guy who's been helping me both physically and mentally in tems of staying positive & the need for persistence. He does nothing at all that has hurt me, & constantly asks about pain, if any. There is no pain in my hip at all. We've been working on strengthening the op leg, & it's much stronger.

Today, he casually walked over to where I kept a cane, brought it to me, adjusted it, & handed it to me as I gaped at him in terror. After having me practice shifting weight between legs & trying 2 steps for awhile, we went into the kitchen where he convinced me I could walk just holding on to countertops with one hand -- even backwards -- with him at my elbow.

So... It's finally at hand. He said my leg will definitely support me & that I should continue practicing "counter-walking" with Hubby to gain the confidence I need because I did very well. The numbness is still there, but doesn't impede my gait. I do have to learn to stop looking at my feet & straighten up. I guess we'll continue on Monday, but for now I think I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel.
 
Amen good job and your a fighter shrinkette. I know you will be fine. I haven't had any PT sense my in home visits had stop. I Walk A Lot With Good Hip But My Left Hip Is BAD to the BONE. I have that one done this month on the 30th. Pray for me as me for you. Take care friend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
@jebrig3164 Been following your thread, so I know you're doing well & are getting ready for your second THR. I will send you only the best thoughts for your surgery & healing & am confident all will be well. Just think: TWO good hips!!! The world is your oyster!!

I hope to continue to make progress... sure takes patience. You've got what it takes... You've shown it. All the best. Continue to fight the good fight.... I'll be watching.
 
Thanks a bunch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Fabulous news Ellen @shrinkette....so glad your seeing the light at the end of the tunnel...hoping every day gets better for you....it's been worth the wait ! Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@shrinkette Ellen, I've been busy with work this week and not online much. Was so glad to get on this afternoon and see such a wonderful update! I'm so happy for you!! Keep up the good work!!
 
Oh @shrinkette, what a wonderful update! I couldn't be happier for you. It has been quite a journey for you and I am just thrilled you are beginning to taste the fruits of your labor! Continued success my friend. We are all rooting for you!!
 
Great news Ellen, well done! I knew you could do it. You are model of perserverance for sure. Sounds like your PT is a keeper - it makes all the difference in the world.
 
but for now I think I'm finally beginning to see the light at the end of a very long tunnel.

[Bonesmart.org] Shrinkette Has Arrived!
@shrinkette! This is one of the best milestones so far---mental confidence and knowing that things really are going to just get better and better! So happy for you.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Shrink! You are doing so great! I think living with pain takes a toll on us and we recuperate from that along with the physical stuff. Feeling hopeful is an old feeling that is now back!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
Hi, guys! @Dmcfad2 Thanks for liking my new pic... guess I thought it was time for a change.
@MajorHeidi, @Butterfly, @bottomshollow, & @VF ... Good to hear from all of you & everyone else.

My progress is very slow, coming in tiny little triumphs periodically. Haven't gotten much further with the cane since I reported my first attempts, but a lot has to do with anxiety & the unsteadiness of a numb foot. I'm hopeful that more practice will provide more confidence. My in-home PT has, thankfully, just been recertified for another 3 weeks @ 2x/week. The PT is making noises about me driving since op leg is not driving leg; not sure about that yet. I'm very cautious & proceed slowly. I don't have a job I have to worry about getting back to, so I can afford to take my time, but I do have a life...

This has been an exceedingly unexpected long haul, but slowly little indications of normalcy are creeping back -- even as minor as me taking a plate or two over to the sink & rinsing them before sticking in dishwasher, or standing in front of the frig & rearranging the weird arrangement of its contents (hubby at work). I know this sounds like nothing & people do it within DAYS of surgery, but it is what it is.

@Butterfly, you asked about how hubby is doing: He's fine, has gained back the weight he lost during my
stint in rehabs & as a result of both intense stress & wrong medication; he's returned to the gym; the radiation he had for early prostate cancer has had the desired effect, we just learned, so we are very relieved. He looks & feels good! And I give him plenty of time to spend in his man-cave watching TV.

I had my first major outing last Saturday at a close friend's son's Bar-Mitzvah, have been out to restaurants, & plan to make it to the theatre next month for the last show in our subscription. Haven't braved a store yet, although I need to; my endurance is low & I'm still tiring easily & I need to push myself more. I will say that entering/exiting my car proved to be MUCH less difficult even from the beginning than I ever anticipated! However, getting over the one step at my front door proved a hurdle due to my weak leg muscles, but I've gotten there & still working on that, especially hamstrings.

So.. Just wanted to catch you up & let you know I'm still alive & kicking -- literally! I'll get there eventually, I'm sure. But great thing is my health is good otherwise and NO HIP PAIN AT ALL. Love you all,

Ellen
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ellen, so good to hear a report! And the new picture is great! Good that you are moving along, take it at your own speed, do as much as you can, you'll get there.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom