THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Healthyhip12 Thanks, but one can "flip" without using the toes on one foot, which STILL don't work! Some feeling is coming back to different areas of the foot, but not enough to make any appreciable difference in how it feels when I walk. Now that the fluid in my leg & foot is receding, am hoping the nerves will awaken further. Anyway, it's still nice to be able to roll onto one side or another. How are YOU doing?
 
Hi @shrinkette so glad you are home and recovering!
I just found out I tested positive for colonized MRSA. ick...
Not happy.....
 
@MajorHeidi I got that positive test, too. I freaked at first, but learned it is no big deal just to be colonized. They gave me some stuff to put in my nose for a few days and then gave me extra antibiotics (vancomycin) IV just before the surgery. I did just fine. My doc thought I was a little squirrely for getting so uptight about it. Oh well . . . .
 
@shrinkette So you are "flipping" over? I still don't turn over so fast. I bet you are glad to be home. I couldn't WAIT to get home, and I was only in there for 2 days!

That energy drain is very real -- I still haven't got all my strength and stamina back. My doc told me it could take several months, since I am a fossil.

I took my sister to see him on Tuesday, and he says he will do the operation, but she has to get cardiac clearance first. AND she has to update her CPAP stuff. I hope it all goes well, she is in a LOT of pain and can hardly move, and she really needs the surgery. I was very proud of myself that I was able to push her in a wheelchair up to the doc's office. We didn't go fast, but we got there! When we first went in, the doc did a double take. The first time I went in to see him I was the one in the wheelchair and Bear was pushing me, and here I came in pushing someone else. He said "looks like you are definitely a success!" Yup!

Sending you healing thoughts and much love,

Milli
 
Hi there Ellen, @shrinkette - so pleased to hear you are home and as your signature indicates - you are most definitely in the healing process x
 
glad to hear things are starting to turn around for you ellen. it has been a long haul but I hope you feel it was worth it. take care. oh and @MajorHeidi , I also had that positive mrsa result. also got some cream to put in my nose 5 days before surgery. apparently it's no big deal.
 
Apparently I have not satisfied the gods of hips in some unfathomable way because on Thursday I found myself exhausted & glued to my bed. By the next day I knew why: I had caught hubby's cold or whatever he has, & when the nurse came for her visit she scared me with the possibility that my chest cold & congestion could turn into pneumonia & that I'd better let my doctor know given the recent surgery & the "crackles" she was hearing in my lungs. So I followed orders. Doc called in a prescription for antibiotic, but still feeling like something's sucked all the wind out if me. Feel exhausted as well as upset that with all this downtime I might have undone 2 productive days of home PT. just feel crummy.
 
Awwww.....so sorry about the cold. Do rest and drink plenty of fluids. It will pass and you'll be on your way again soon.
 
@shrinkette Seems like you just can't catch a break! I'm so sorry you now have this respiratory thing to contend with on top of everything else. I hope you get past this soon and that the antibiotics help. You must be very frustrated with all that's been happening to you. You're in my thoughts and prayers, dear friend.

Love,

Milli
 
@shrinkette it has been a few days so how are you feeling now? Just checking in and hoping your cold or whatever it was has passed! Thinking good thoughts for you...Judy
 
@Jamie @Butterfly @Freaky freak Thanks for your concern guys. I'm better, thanks to a Z-pack probably, & lots of rest. Never ran a temp & cough now seems to attack in evening only, then stops after we hit it with
Robitussin and/or straight honey. Been getting some decent sleep, too!

Reinstated the home PT, & he thought I did well. Still feel exhausted, though. I guess it's part cold/part energy drain. Nevertheless, I seem to be getting stronger. In/out of bed with ease & no leg lifter; feet & legs have
gone down to normal size & can fit into my sneakers; getting up more easily from chairs; can knee-bend operated leg almost to normal; doing a little more "getting around" in house; lost about 20 lbs. that I had gained since entering rehab -- mostly from water. Numb foot is still numb & disconcerting to walk on, but I must be patient, apparently. So all in all, I'm making progress which at times seems slow, but that's the name of the game. PT guy Is VERY optimistic.

@Freaky freak Just wanted to say how pleased I've been reading about how well you've done! Amazing. You must be thrilled!!

And my dear @Butterfly I've been reading your posts & think that you've turned a few corners & are really enjoying life with new hips. So happy for you. Hope your sis does OK -- read about you pushing her in a wheelchair... THAT was a switch, right?

Everybody else -- thanks SO much for continuing to post. Trying to catch up.

Ellen
 
Great to hear, Ellen! I know you'd have liked to be at this stage weeks ago - almost months ago - but you're moving along now. Keep working on it, you are going to get there. Even without complications, tiredness persists a long time - just let yourself rest. Glad you could get over the cold easily enough!
 
Glad to hear you are feeling better! It sounds like you have made amazing progress! Yep, those PT guys get paid to be extremely optimistic. And, it doesn't hurt them a bit when they strap a weight on your ankle and then demand straight leg lifts. I went to therapy yesterday and was sharing the PT table ( it's a double ) with a nice lady who I see every time I go there. She had a knee replacement. She gets an ice pack and I get a heating pad. They put us together and cautioned, "No fighting!" I told the therapists not to worry because we watch out for each other AND that if you start to hurt either one of us, the other one will protect. That's how it is: US against THEM. Giggle, giggle. We both continue to make slow and steady progress. Keep up your great sense of humor and celebrate each step forward even if it is only a baby step. I will keep singing "Little Left Foot Wake Up".
 
Hi Ellen @shrinkette , sorry to hear about your little bump in the recovery road. Sounds like you are back on track now - well done!
 
@shrinkette so glad you are able to get up and move around better. It is a process whether 2 weeks or 10 months but so glad things rw getting better. And getting in to your own sneakers. Now that is progress!! Woohoo!!
 
Hello, fellow Bonesmarties. Been ruminating... Just thinking that recovery IS such a process, indeed. Just noticing some subtle ability to do something you couldn't do last week can make your day... and just the opposite, I guess. The ups and downs, successes & inabilities really make life a roller coaster. Today the PT tried to have me step up & down into my living room -- a pretty big step (literally). I had so much anxiety, I cried, but I did it -- sorta -- with his help. I know we'll be repeating this tomorrow. But later I went out the front door step just fine, had a tiny problem coming back up, but made it. This was the first day I wore my sneaks outside & walked in parking lot to Einstein's while my house was being cleaned. Doesn't sound like much, but it's been a helluva long haul! I WILL say I am so grateful to be pain-free, other than the numb-foot pins 'n needles thing, which is actually annoying discomfort, but not pain & not constant.

This whole business has been character-building, very tiring, sometimes satisfying, often frustrating, educational in its own way, & the true test of a marriage, if nothing else. Just sayin'...
 
So glad to hear you are home and improving day by day. You have been through so much and have handled it all with such great strength. You are a true inspiration. Keep it going. You are doing great. Hoping each day gets easier and easier for you.
 
Just catching up Ellen.. Sorry to hear about your cold. Sounds like you are making progress. Celebrate those daily positive milestones - recovery is a marathon - you will get there.
 
@shrinkette Ellen, bless your heart sweetie, you sound great but I am sure that the slow go can get frustrating, but you are getting there!! Sorry you had the setback with the cold but also glad you are feeling a little better. Wow walking outside, bet you enjoyed that!! All I can say is keep on keeping on, my friend, we all get there one day at a time!! Love and gentle hugs sent your way!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom