Guest viewing is limited

THR Shrinkette Has Arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@shrinkette Ellen, I hope things are going okay for you. Continuing to think of you and send good thoughts your way.
 
@shrinkette , I hope you will come back and update soon. Lots of fellow hippies getting worried here!
 
Hey @shrinkette, thinking about you and hoping you are doing well. Looking forward to hearing from you soon:kittykiss:
 
@shrinkette . I was glad to see your message to butterfly. at least I know you're alive and hopefully kicking. I, for one, and I know I'm not the only one, am concerned about you. so whenever it's good for you, let us know what's going on.
 
Hello, every one of you wonderful people who have expressed concern & interest in me since my surgery. As I think I've said before, somehow I assumed I would have a "routine" op as defined by Bonesmart stories, followed by the typical ups & downs of recovery. Ok, so maybe there's no such thing as "routine" & maybe the typical Bonesmartie is not the typical patient when we remember that hundreds of thousands of THRs are done each year in the US alone, but suffice to say I expected the "usual" in terms of Bonesmart-ness as I knew it. Didn't happen.

I'm not going to recount the events of recovery in detail now except to briefly say the op was uneventful, but I emerged from it with a totally numb foot! It is STILL numb, has feeling in various areas, & I'm assured that with time, feeling will be regained. I went from almost 2 days in the hospital to the hospital's own excellent rehab, where I spent two weeks, & from there to a regular rehab where I am currently gaining strength in my "log leg" so that I can get into/out of bed & my car. I can walk with a walker, but trust me when I tell you it ain't easy when you can't feel one foot & the leg it belongs to feels like it weighs a ton, to boot! Leg has improved, as mentioned. Unfortunately, I also came out of this with extremely swollen legs -- edema -- that does not make exercising any easier. Looks like I've gained about 15 lbs from fluid. I am monitored here for all my medical issues by a doctor who I like and trust... so far. I feel fine, in general.

Some good stuff: 32 Staples came out at about 2 weeks+, 8" incision is fine except for some minor seepage from area of drain, so it is still covered. Incision has hardly hurt at all except when attempting to roll over on it. The leg length discrepancy appears to be gone & I can stand up straighter. The awful pain in the opposite butt & down that leg is GONE; I had been terribly worried about this. I'm not yet sure of nature of improvement in operated hip because I haven't been able to move that leg in the usual ways due to log-leggedness, but suffice to say I'm not at all otherwise even aware of that hip!! Saw the OS last week for post-op exam & he was delighted with x-rays. He watched me try to wiggle my foot & proclaimed I would definitely get the feeling back, comparing it with how it was immediately post surgery. I get that pins-and-needles thing all over that foot from time to time & I just hope it means that it's trying to wake up! Pain control was pretty easy: was on a pain pump right after op, then nothing stronger than 2 Norco 5.0 & then upped to 7.5, which sufficed @ the time. I take 1 or 2 a day now, maybe alternated with Tylenol. Pain is almost a non-issue.

I'm trying to do my best in the rehab process while tolerating awful food (trust me -- had something they had the audacity to call "quiche" tonight!), difficulties with getting help from resentful, arrogant aides when needed, etc. The place is gorgeous & the PTs & OTs seem to be pretty knowledgable & serious, but THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME, said Dorothy. I have given myself the present of a private aide to cater to my every whim for a few days & have loved it.

Sorry I've been hiding... Can't exactly explain why. And sorry I haven't shown interest in anyone else. I guess I need to feel I'm on top of this in some way, first. To those fellow hippies who underwent 'the knife' around the same time I did like DrToonz, Grandma Chris, & jebrig, I've been keeping up with you. To all my predecessors & supporters in this process... Your interest & heartfelt concern has been amazing (and guilted me into this looooooong response). I truly love you for it & hope to be back & posting when I feel I can. Keep spreading the Bone-word to newbies & explorers alike. See you soon. ❤❤❤❤

Ellen
 
So happy to "hear" your beautiful voice, Ellen! I think about you often and will continue to keep you in my prayers. Now if only that foot would wake up now! All it takes is time, the great healer. Sending hugs. Peggy :) xo
 
@shrinkette....oh I was so worried about you...you can hide...its your recovery..Its private and yours alone my dear Ellen....Its just so nice to hear from you. You are my role model.....your post were so encouraging...I just loved to read them. You will get there....work hard,,,this I am sure this is not easy....You don't have to post about what you are going through....just say Hi,,,that's all..worry about yourself.....just know there are friends here that worry about you....Oh be well my friend....:SUNsmile:
 
@shrinkette It is ok to hide just know that you are on my mind daily and I pray that each day gets better. I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you, not only the physical but the not being able to be at home. Your strength has been an inspiration to me, just wanted you to know that. Please let us know how you are whenever you feel like it, and know that you are loved!! :console2:
 
So glad to hear your update @shrinkette. Sounds like you are improving and staying positive. Stay strong my friend. You are always in my thoughts. :console2:
 
Great to hear from you @shrinkette ....keep your chin up and just look after YOU!!!!

No need to keep up with everyone else....you have enough to do. I found I couldn't either after surgery....the great thing about BS is no one judges you and they are here when you need them

Take care xxx
 
Lovely to read your update Ellen....no 'guilt trips ' here....just support if and when you need it!! Take care Chrissie xxx
 
Your a fighter and I know you will bounce back better than ever. Continue to press your way my friend as we all have our struggle in this. But I know you and me and everyone else will bounce back in Gods time!!!!
 
Ellen...this just show me how much of a "family" Bonesmart is. Lots of prayers go out to you for a continued rehab and hoping you will get to go home soon. Your right, there is no place like home....and you will be there soon :)....Be well and know you have friends around the world :)
 
So relieved that you're doing okay in rehab, Ellen! Now if that little foot would just completely wake up...in the meantime maybe your aid could sneak you in some REAL food!
 
We were all very worried for you, so thank you for writing with your update.
You are getting better, so keep plugging along. Good to see your humor!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom