TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

Thank you for the driving tips. I will definitely use several of those!
How cool to have all that training from someone with so much experience! That must be a great feeling for you to have helped so many people over the years. I always agree with your advice! Well, as Sara says, hoping mr sandman comes tonight! Sleep well!
 
It was interesting that on my PKR, the therapists always measured my flexion with me bending my knee on a stair. On this surgery I was always lying down. I am pretty sure that I have gained some flexion. I was sitting on a chair and I could get my foot all the way back to where my foot was on my old knee and I had it as far as it would go.
Something else that the therapists told me about flexion was that it only takes 60-65 degrees of flexion to walk!

We are headed to babysit later this afternoon and taking pizza for our granddaughter who LOVES it. We are having a “sleepover” ( that’s what she calls it when we stay all night) too!

I gave up some of my exercises and now just do 3 plus the recumbent bike. My walking is improving with just a very slight limp at end of day!

have a good day all!
 
Last edited:
Today the therapist measured my flexion while lying on my stomach (100) and lying on my back (118). I was a little sore and grumpy from yesterday's OS visit and forgot to ask him to take the measurement while I was sitting, too. It's all coming back, slowly.
 
I had something very exciting happen today that has relieved me of a lot of worry and stress. When I retired, I had to get a healthcare plan because I was not old enough to get Medicare ( the health insurance that is provided in the US when you turn 65). I am on a health sharing plan which isn’t insurance but it pays for my healthcare. I pay a monthly payment to them that is way cheaper than traditional insurance. There was some question whether my sharing plan would pay for my knee surgery and today I received a check that paid the WHOLE thing including my PT. I was so very thankful and blessed!
 
That's great news @Sks1997! This is one expensive surgery. Please tell me more about the health sharing (feel free to DM if that's better).
 
Yes indeed. At the hospital I went to, it was well over $100,000.
I find it strange that the best time of day for my knee is right after I get out of bed in morning. I hardly have any popping/clicking the first couple hrs. It is a wonderful feeling. I can put up with the stiffness but the popping/clicking makes it really sore by end of day!
I did something to my back yesterday and don’t know how I did it but it was really painful. After sleeping, it isn’t too bad this morning. Must have just strained a muscle. Must have been that “strenuous” time making buckeyes being on my feet too long, LOL!
We have grandsons basketball games this weekend and I will decide if I can sit through 2 of them.
We stayed all night again at our son’s house to help with the baby and 3 yr old. We will be leaving in early afternoon. They give me a lot of activity!
Have a great weekend everyone!
 
I find it strange that the best time of day for my knee is right after I get out of bed in morning. I hardly have any popping/clicking the first couple hrs. It is a wonderful feeling.
This is because it is well rested. I hope you are able to take several times during the day to sit with your legs up on an ottoman (or whatever) to give them a rest, as you are still healing from a big surgery. (I still do this!)
 
@Jockette Yes, when I am at my son’s I sit in his recliner when I can and have my legs up!
At home, I use my big foam wedge pillow a couple times a day!
Today has been a pretty good day as far as the popping/clicking and I was on my feet quite a lot! :)
 
I even schedule my doctor and PT appointments in the morning because it's my optimal time.
 
I had just remembered several people commenting that they were stiff and in much pain when they first got out of bed. Morning is definitely my best time of day! Late afternoon and evening is my hardest time! I am blessed to sleep well and not have much pain in my leg/knee most nights.
 
Morning is definitely my best time of day! Late afternoon and evening is my hardest

I'm the same way, @Sks1997. I have no trouble getting up and moving in the morning, but by 5 o'clock, my knee feels stiff and uncomfortable.

Perhaps it's a sign we're doing too much?
 
@benne68 i am taking a rest day today. And of course I always feel like I am being lazy even though my knee needs this rest. It is especially painful today. We had stayed at son’s Thurs night and babysat until about 1pm yesterday and then did some shopping at a huge store. I suspect that sent my knee over the edge. Too much activity!
sometimes I just wish I could lie down and sleep for about 12 hrs with no discomfort. My hips and back are still bothering me a lot, maybe more than my knee. Having another massage this coming week. My neck is just now getting back to normal after the last massage, LOL!
Hoping my knee is better tomorrow as we are supposed to go to a ball game after church!

Happy healing and sleeping!
 
Last edited:
I am new here and unsure if I am doing this correctly! I am 10 wks post op of a RT TKA. My leg feels like a tree. I was discharged from PT after 8 wks but I am still limping because of pain when I bend the small amt that you need to walk. I can sit at 90 degrees without a problem. I am not in much pain at rest but when I walk I have pain and the longer I am on my feet, the more painful it is. I still take 2 sometimes 3 pain pills per day. I am blessed that I am able to sleep at night.
I do ice and elevate a few times a day and still do stretching exercises twice daily. Evening seems to be my worst time. My husband is not very supportive and I think he thinks I am faking this pain. My daughter has brain cancer and I try not to burden her with all this. So here I am! I’ve been reading on this forum the past few weeks. It gives me hope! I’ve been in tears again this evening just because I am sick of this recovery and I know I have a long way to go! I am happy that I have been retired a little over a year and I don’t have the pressure to get back to work. I was an RN.
Sharon that's awful. Mine is the 17th of Jan. I've chickened out 3 times.
Hope it's better now. Love to hear from you.
 
@Jockette
I am confused about ICING! I used to ice after a long walk, riding stationary bike etc..
Often read where it is suggested to ice often, sometime 3 times daily, others say all night.

My PT told me that I am icing too much which can stop Bone Growth and cause nerve damage.
She said if I don't have swelling I should not be icing. I did stop icing and had less pain until, the pain went up my Quad into my Butt.
The Butt pain then was diagnosed as IT Band issues.
I have followed Bonesmart site about IT Band exercises and pain in quad / butt has stopped but still pain on the outside of the knee.

My question was about Icing before I went on & on, lol.
Thank you
 
My Doc’s protocol was to ice continuously the first 3 post Op wks and then 2-3 times a day. I then came on Bonesmart and changed how I iced!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom