TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

@Carol Anna I would pass on the shopping, which you can do any time, and save yourself for the carol sing tonight that only happens once a year, and will especially lift your spirits. 7 weeks is very early days.

Last weekend, I refused to go to back to back ballgames and there was going to be about 2.5 hrs of driving too. My husband mistakenly thinks that I should be able to tolerate that. I knew with my leg down at 90 degrees for almost 5 hrs that I would pay a big price later.
You were wise to skip this. Pushing to please someone else isn’t fair to you, you are the one who will pay with pain and swelling, not them.
We have a 2 wk trip to Florida in Feb that I am a little concerned about but we will be with friends so not a lot of walking. More concerned with the driving but on way down we stop for a couple days at some relatives and it’s only about 6 hrs to their house. Praying for more healing by then!
I know you will improve by February. Maybe still not quite where you want to be, but there is every chance that you’ll be able to do that drive. Try even a small pillow under your foot. I did that for months. It’s amazing what even little extra height can do. Stop frequently to get out and move around even briefly, and maybe plan a quiet rest of the day when you get there so you can get your foot up on an ottoman the rest of the day. If they don’t have one, consider getting something you can take with you, even if it’s a foldable camp stool.
 
@Carol Anna I left the shopping to my husband until I was at week 10 -- and then we went together just in case I had to stop partway through. He was doing just fine with it for the first two months and I figured a couple more weeks wouldn't make a big difference.
 
@Sks1997 Hope you are feeling better after your massage.

I had a full-body session a week ago -- my first one since before surgery. Like you, my muscles -- especially in my shoulders and back -- were really tight and so the therapist worked them deeply. It was a bit painful during the session, but I felt so much better afterwards that I made an appointment for a follow-up session next week!

It's fascinating how our bodies respond to stress: surgery was on my knee, but it was my shoulders, neck and upper back that were carrying all that tension!
 
Man, my neck and upper back is sore today! She worked on my hips and low back too. She had me twisted like a pretzel! I did think about going back next week but decided to go right before Christmas. My whole body has hurt since surgery. Even before my knee was bad, I always carried so much tension in my neck and shoulders.
guess it’s high time that I learn to relax!
 
She gave me some good tips on sleep position which will help with my hip/back pain.
Can you elaborate on these sleep positions? I still have occasional hip/back pain. It's better, but I'm always interested in pain-free options.....
 
surgery was on my knee, but it was my shoulders, neck and upper back that were carrying all that tension!

Yes, this exactly!! I feel like I have arthritis in my shoulders, I have lots of pain if I lay my arms under my pillow while sleeping on my stomach in strange ways for too long. Neck and lower back (for me) plus the former hip pain have been in the forefront lately compared to the knee (which has been pretty good).
 
@Carol Anna I left the shopping to my husband until I was at week 10 -- and then we went together just in case I had to stop partway through. He was doing just fine with it for the first two months and I figured a couple more weeks wouldn't make a big difference.
I know you are right - I should leave him to do what he has managed to do with no problems so far and focus on doing things that bring joy and pleasure. On that basis Jack (hubby) is going to walk to town today to do some shopping and check the Christmas market is worth me going to. No point in wasting that excercise and energy :heehee:
 
I know you are right - I should leave him to do what he has managed to do with no problems so far and focus on doing things that bring joy and pleasure. On that basis Jack (hubby) is going to walk to town today to do some shopping and check the Christmas market is worth me going to. No point in wasting that excercise and energy :heehee:
I have been driving to the supermarket for the past two weeks. It's hard pushing a trolley, even for the 20 mins it takes me to 'rush' round M&S Foodhall.

Leave it as long as you can.

Just be aware, in my opinion, it's harder to stand in one place [carol singing around a tree?] than walking. Take something to perch on, if you can.
 
Sacked going to street market when husband reported back that it really wasn't worth it particularly for me with my knee. Let him drive me to pick up a new printer and a quick stagger round a very small supermarket so at least I felt like I had been out. Took a blanket and sat on a wall at the Christmas carol singing) It was good to be out but sharp pain on inside of knee keeps returning when I do anything more than every day living in the house!!!
 
Susie,
I have arthritis in my shoulders also and the position she showed me is not going to work for me. She said if I can’t do it that I should lay on my back which I hate. I am a right side and stomach sleeper. They actually say sleeping on your stomach isn’t good for your back but I always seem to roll onto my stomach thru the night . I will try to explain the position that she said would be really good for my hips (the one that I can’t do). You lay on your side and of course bend the leg of that same side. If it’s your Rt side, you put your Rt arm down the left side of your body as you are on your side. I didn’t even think I could get it into that position but it put too much pressure on my shoulder. It actually aligns your body in a straight line.
maybe a better description would be if you were lying on your stomach and you would bend the right knee getting onto your side and leave that right arm down the side of your body. Your left arm would be folded to help support near your head. The left leg would be more straight or just slightly bent. Does that make sense? She said it would be beneficial even if you just do it a short time because most of us change positions many times as We sleep!
 
If you're lying on your right side wouldn't your right arm need to be under you or tucked under your pillow? How do you get your right arm to go down the left side of your body?

I've been sleeping pretty well on either side with my contoured memory foam pillow in between both knees, knees bent a little or on my stomach or on my back.
 
Susie, I knew I was not going to describe it properly. The right arm is behind you as you are lying on your right side (straight down beside your body). My second description starting on stomach was better.
sorry for the confusion! I am like you and use pillows to help me get comfortable.
 
Well, I got a few things done today but not much and I struggle with wanting to do more but know that I will pay with pain.
We are going to watch our younger grandkids be dedicated at church tomorrow. I will be pretty much done for the day when we get home. Will prob go out to eat after church.
Finally got our tree completely decorated yesterday.
Hope you all get some good sleep tonight!
 
We are going to watch our younger grandkids be dedicated at church tomorrow
This is very special and I’m glad you’re able to go. Enjoy the lunch then take it easy the rest of the day. Sunday is a day of rest, anyway, right?
 
It was such a special morning watching the dedication of my grand babies and the children also did their Christmas Program! Our sweet 3 yr old was a sheep and she was so darn cute! We ate out at a Mexican restaurant afterward. I have once again fluffed up a little this holiday season!
I truly rested after arriving back home! My knee behaved pretty well other than the clicking/popping. I had a day a couple days ago that I went 15 steps without any pops/clicks.
May we all sleep good tonight!
 
Sks1997, I just read your whole thread and want you to know that your recovery is solidly in the "normal" range. My dear, you are doing so many activities that I'm in awe of your ability to manage that and your recovery together. Most people don't resume this much activity so soon, so it's no surprise that you experience bouts of a little swelling and pain. It sounds like you're listening to your body, though, and cutting back when this happens. That's VERY important.

I experienced a "dizzy" spell like you described at about 6 months out, so these things happen randomly at times. I was standing in line at the Post Office when it hit and I wondered if I was going to just drop to the floor. I did some deep breathing and basically willed myself to stay there, knowing that it probably would pass. It did finally, but I'll always remember that feeling. It was a one-off and I never had it happen again. I suspect it may have had something to do with my lack of a good breakfast and the fact that I easily get dehydrated even on good days. I'm glad you were able to get a wheelchair so you could sit and be more comfortable. These events are truly scary.

Hang in there. By your February trip, you should be feeling stronger. Hopefully it can be a relaxing "chill out" vacation for you with friends. Here's a tip, though. Take advantage of the airline's disability program. My husband and I used it when we flew and it makes the rigors of air travel soooo much easier. You just have to swallow a little bit of pride and allow yourself to be pampered in your recovery. The service is free; but you have to call and arrange it ahead of time. Someone will meet you at the curb or airline counter with a wheelchair. They take care of all your boarding pass and bag checking immediately (they get to go to the front of any line). Then they take you and your traveling companions to your gate using the wheelchair. You get priority advancement through the TSA checkpoints. You also get priority boarding on the plane for everyone with you. They meet you at your destination point and do the same wheelchair process in reverse so that you get to your ground transportation without a lot of walking or effort. The only cost would be your tips to the people helping you at each end. Depending on the level of effort involved, I always tipped between $10 and $20. The service is THE BEST THING GOING! You get priority treatment for just the price of a tip and you arrive at your destination without a lot of pain from walking and standing in line.
 
@Jamie Thanks for reading my entire thread and for the encouraging words! Thanks for sharing all the information on tips for flying. We will probably drive but would be nice to fly!

It was interesting that you had a similar episode like I had! It was so scary and I really think I would have passed out had my husband not been with me. I was in a lot of pain when we were there because I had already spent time walking all over a big grocery store! My husband simmered down a little after that as far as pushing me to get out and do things, LOL!

I am hoping that I have a little more endurance when we go to FL in February. But it IS going to be a chill-out trip for me and my girlfriend. Our husbands will be going to lots of car races ending the week with the big Daytona 500.

I am assuming you are a nurse! I have been retired from nursing for a little over a year!
 
Well then, I have some tips for driving as well. Make sure you stop and walk around for 5 minutes or so at least every 2 hours. This will help keep your knee from stiffening up during a long drive. Take plenty of zip lock bags so you can use ice along the way in the car. If you have room, take a cooler with ice so you have it ready. Also, if you have room, make the back seat your nesting spot for when you need to stretch out a bit and maybe even take a nap. If you have a foam wedge or pillows, that can make things more comfortable. You might be able to place a cooler or other items in the floor boards and cover with a quilt or foam pad to make the area a bit wider for more comfort. Obviously have some medications for pain with you. If you are using Tylenol and find yourself inching toward discomfort, take 1000mg. You can take 4 of these 1000mg doses in a 24 hour period. It's best to do it every 6 hours if you're really uncomfortable so that you have medicine in your system at all times. Just don't take more than 4,000mg in any 24 hour period and be sure you count any other medications that have acetaminophen in them in your daily total (like cold and sinus medicine).

Congratulations on your retirement! Actually, I'm not a nurse. But I was trained under the wing of our now-retired Nurse Director, Josephine, for 13 years. She had over 50 years of orthopedic surgery experience! We spoke every day for at least an hour and I owe her everything for all the knowledge she passed on. That, plus working with orthopedic surgeons and therapists for the past10+ years plus dealing with tens of thousands of patients here on BoneSmart since 2008, I feel fortunate to be able to help people here on the forum. We work with a group of surgeons to make sure our guidance is current and proper and we have several nurses and therapists on our staff.
 
Back
Top Bottom