Guest viewing is limited

TKR Sharon’s second knee recovery!

I’m reading your posts regarding partials, & wondering, do some Drs determine this based on the condition of the knee & how long it has been in trouble?
I think most partials are determined if only one part of the knee has arthritic damage. Length of time in trouble should not be a factor, as we all deteriorate at different timeframes. I have heard that sometimes it’s the age of a person that is considered, but they really should look at the knee and not someone’s age. Just because someone is younger doesn’t mean their whole knee doesn’t have enough arthritis to be replaced.

There was no cartilage, & some of the existing bone had become like cement.
No worthy doctor would do a partial on a knee as deteriorated as yours. You did well getting the total.
 
And I would love nothing more than to get back to Zumba but I am scared to. I LOVE dancing. Just don’t want to bring on anymore knee problems. And I got my daughter in law into Zumba and now she’s an instructor and LOVES it!
 
Even when I was young I couldn’t do that kind of exercise. I’d go to an aerobics class, or do a video at home, and I was always going the wrong way. :doh:Somewhere in my 40s one of my friends hurt her back doing sit ups. I determined then, that the only exercise I would do, was walk!
 
Ive done tons of home workouts! I used to do a series called “The Firm” workouts. They were very hard. Combination of step workout using weights. And when I wasn’t doing those I would do free weights and some other form of aerobic activity.
I can’t even walk any distance yet. I do my bike though and that is good for my knee. i Was able to do my bike early on too without much discomfort.
I really want to do yoga! It is so good for arthritis and flexibility and it builds strength.
 
I can’t do those type of workouts now but I do want to do yoga and I will do walking when I hike this summer! And I want to keep up on free weights too!
 
I was talking to my sister in law who actually works for my OS. I ask if it was normal for my Dr to discharge me after 8 wks. She said if everything looks good to him, he only has patients come back if they are having problems. He doesn’t do a one year follow up. That was just strange to me!

on way to see our babies before we leave on our trip Friday! Can’t wait to squeeze Gunner! And Taylor is excited because we are bringing pizza and breadsticks . We have Valentine stuff for them and my son will hide it until V-day. We are so thrilled to see Taylor eat so many things. She didn’t eat until she was about 2. She had a G-tube and was fed through that. So we love watching her eat anything!

Have a great Monday!
 
@Sks1997 Actually I think it's fairly common for surgeons to "discharge" patients at the 6-8 week post-op visit. I know that happened for me with my bilateral hip replacement surgery AND for both of my shoulder replacements. Each surgeon said "you are doing great! Come see me if you are having any problems. Other wise no need to come back".

My HMO did participate in a national registry of joint implants ( looking to see how long implants lasted) So I got xrays of the joints for several years after each surgery and I guess the surgeon would get a copy of the xray or at least a copy of the report.
 
That’s good to know! On my PKR in 2016, I had more appointments up to 8 month I think.
 
I wonder if those of us who get PKRs have more appointments because the surgeons want to monitor them closer. The surgeons are confident with the TKRs, maybe not so much with the PKRs?
 
I think it might have been true in my case. I’m convinced my surgeon hasn’t done very many PKRs.
 
I think the only reason my OS wanted followups was because I had cementless TKRs. All was fine at the follow ups.
 
Just got home from my son’s house! We had a blast with the kids. My quads are already screaming from being up and down on floor so much. It’s as if my quad is in contraction and won’t relax. It will simmer down when I get to bed and elevate it for a while. I took extra magnesium also and may have a little pickle juice too. But it IS worth it to spend time with those little cherubs!

Hope we all sleep well and have a peaceful and pain free (much as possible) night!
 
@Sks1997 I'm so happy for you, sometimes its worth the extra discomfort to enjoy life's little pleasures- Wishing you a peaceful & a good painless nights sleep :sleep:
 
I’m so happy to have found this site, I could just cry!! It’s so nice to hear from others who REALLY understand! At 4 weeks post op, I had completely weaned off the norco but have had to take one last couple of nights to sleep, ligament pain on inside of knee is so so bad. Everyone makes you feel like an addict or that you’re weak if you can’t make it without but Advil and Tylenol don’t have any affect on this pain.
 
@GiGix2 I'm 2 months post surgery and still I'm still on full medication, I will only stop when I have no pain, no matter how long it takes, however Europe has a different mentality in regards to it, America is very different in their approach @Sks1997 - am I correct?
 
Yes, that is correct! Several years ago because of Opioid crisis with so many becoming addicted, it became harder for the Drs to prescribe pain meds for longer periods of time. The Drs were being closely monitored on the amount of pain meds they were ordering. Created a bad situation for people who truly needed the pain meds. Most of the Ortho docs around here really want you off the narcotics by 6 wks-2 Mon. I was still having significant pain at that time and was able to take them a little longer.
 
Thanks! Your post gave me peace of mind, I was only on pain meds for 3 weeks but was afraid to take them longer!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom