Guest viewing is limited

THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Most people that know me also seem to say to go for the surgery option. I am not making any progress otherwise, so I think it is the only way forward. I am going to the dentist this week, as my teeth are not great. Then I will phone the rooms later this week and make a set date for sometime in May. The Surgeon didn't seem happy that I was using a crutch for support, he said it was altering my gait & flaring up my hip bursa. But I tried today without it when out, but doing this only seems to increase the pain for me. So back to the support for me.
 
The Surgeon didn't seem happy that I was using a crutch for support, he said it was altering my gait & flaring up my hip bursa.
Just my opinion but if it were me I would ignore this unhelpful comment. That surgeon is not dealing with pain. Ditching the walking aid is only going to encourage limping. For now I would use the crutch to help you keep the weight off that sore hip.
 
I'm sure another surgery wasn't play odd the plan but I agree that Something is NOT right and if that's what's going to get answers...
Also I'm guessing you are thinking...should I hope something is wrong or what happens if they don't find the problem.
What a conundrum.
You know you're body better than anyone and I believe I would be doing exactly the same thing.
Past time for wait and see, I think.
I'll be rooting for you, Dickie.
:fingersx:
 
Jaycey, I agree with you. I don't use my crutch inside or outside at home, as I know the levels are apart from the 2nd storey stairs (which I rarely use) the levels are flat. When I have to walk distance or different levels or slopes, I use the crutch, otherwise I'm in pain. The surgeon isn't feeling the pain, I am. Even a slight slope in a pathway causes pain. I believe that there is some movement of the stem, even a micro movement causing my symptoms. I have over the time, when the operated leg has taken sudden full body weight, like coming off a step stool or tripping has dramatically increased the pain. The only time I get relief is lying down, as my body weight is not on the hips. Even sitting does not ease the pain if I am having a bad day, as there is some weight still on the hips.

Mojo, that is exactly my thoughts too, a conundrum. If he can't find a problem, I don't know what my reaction will be, but disappointment and depression come to mind. However, I have had pretty much every type of imaging that can be done, series of x-rays, a bone scan, MRI and CT. The only thing to show up was a stress # of mid-shaft of my femur, which has now healed. I have no choice but to go ahead with some type of exploratory surgery in the hope that he does a revision. I cannot suffer this pain and limitations of mobility till the prosthetic wears out in 10 years time.? If a revision is not done, I'll keep chasing until I find a surgeon who will do one.
Thank you for the replies, I value your opinions.
 
You are doing the right thing I think Dickie.
That kind of pain is not right or normal.
I hate that you are struggling so!
Do you have any idea when this can happen?
Sending all the good mojo I can muster for some relief as you get this show on the road.:friends:
 
I made contact with the OS rooms today and I have a tentative date for exploratory surgery for the 4th May.
A little terrifying, as the pain was horrendous last time, but perhaps the way forward. I had an appointment with my Chiropractor today, she has been a strong support in the last 2 years, she also agrees it is the only choice to have the surgery.
 
I know you are anxious but I think it's the right thing and only thing you can do.
Will be rooting for you!:yay:
 
Sorry for the pain and the wait.
I'll bet May 4th feels so far off.
Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind as you wait.
Hope your weekend is good.
@Dickie 1
 
It doesn't feel like a long time away, for what I've endured for the last nearly 2 years. I have a lot to arrange before then. I have meals to cook and freeze, I have equipment to sort out, as I lent my son my shower chair as he fractured his ankle, but pretty much recovered now. I have some appointments for my Mum who has dementia to do in the lead up, not to mention my own appointments for X-rays, bloods and a Physician.
I have faith in this OS, he seems caring and meticulous. I need however to emphasise to these Drs regarding the pain I had following the original THR and how they are gong to address it. The pain experience really scares me, it was terrible. Thank you for the support. I thought that you would like to know that I have a date. Sending Easter wishes to everyone.
 
Hi Dickie,
The only advise I can give is to either tape your meeting with the docs or make sure you have a witness with a good memory! It is surprising how eager they are to help when there is a witness.
All I can say is WOW, you are holding the fort down in spite of the surgery. You are a strong person which leads me to believe there is something wrong with the implant. My non-medical opinion. lol

I tape every session with my dr. It’s surprising what you miss while your thinking about the next thing you want to say. I also keep a journal
 
Wow your journey sounds just like mine. My surgery was October 2016. I had my other hip done January 9, 2018 and it is completely healed however the first surgery is causing me so much pain. I have been through it all as well. Now we are doing a second MRI in case I have a psoas muscle impingement. My pt who I am still seeing after 18 months said that the muscle is very tight. I lost a thriving business due to my horrible recovery. My original OS does not respond to any of my messages, not even an apology. Keep me posted. One thing you said, struck a nerve with me. When I woke up from that first surgery I woke up screaming in pain as the nurses scrabbled to get pain medication into my IV. The second surgery I woke up telling jokes to the nurses. I think both surgeries were bad from the beginning.
 
Hope you have a great Easter weekend too.
:flwrysmile:
 
Wow Belladonna, it seems to mirror my experience. 2016 then was not a great year for hip replacements then, well not for us. I was on so much oral medication for pain relief, I was a zombie, yet I still had break through pain and caused me to break down in tears. The first night home from hospital at 2 am I phoned a Government Helpline as I needed someone rational to speak to, as I was not well controlled by the analgesics I had taken. The nurse asked me what medication I was on and after I told her she went silent. They had a Dr phone me back and she commented what a hard time I had. She advised me to take my Endone a little earlier, which is what I was going to do anyway. If that didn't help I was to present myself back to the hospital. And so the story goes.
I see how your 2 surgeries were like black & white, as far as experiences.
The current surgeon said I could have the first surgeon helping with the operation if I wanted, but I declined that offer.
I too have sent emails that have gone unanswered. I am not angry with him, just very disappointed that he won't do more.
Thank you for the support, I appreciate every one of the replies. Happy Easter to everyone.
 
The current surgeon said I could have the first surgeon helping with the operation if I wanted, but I declined that offer.
Can't blame you there.
So sorry for your struggles...hoping you get some peace.:roseshwr:
 
Hi @Dickie 1 - I have just read your thread and wanted to say how sorry I am that you are having so much pain. You also have a lot to cope with at home. so it must be very difficult making any sort of decision when you're feeling so vulnerable. Another month to go and then, hopefully, they will be able to identify the cause and come up with a solution, I'll be looking out for good news. Best wishes and :fingersx: from across the ditch
 
I will be rooting for you @Dickie 1 my heart hurts for all you've been through... sometimes I don't have much to say but most of what I say is in prayer for you. I have no wisdom for you. Hugs and :prayer:
 
Thank you to everyone and the support offered. I pray hard that the Surgeon finds a cause of the pain on the day, apart from the stress fracture of the femur that has healed on X-ray. I am currently cooking meals to freeze, as DH won't cook unless he has to. I am keeping busy organising things prior to my hospital admission.
Anny, one day we will make it across the 'ditch' to visit your lovely country. For others that don't know, the 'ditch' is the body of water between Australia and New Zealand. My Mum with Dementia is also creating some issues this week. We may have to place her into care, I feel. Thank you again, I appreciate the posts.
 
Back
Top Bottom