THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Do you have a date for the surgery?
Sorry for added family drama...I've had that in spades as of late...mentally exhausting:groan:

Prayers for you and your mom.

Now I know what the ditch is!:dubious:
 
So sorry you have to go through this.
Prayers for peace and your comfort as you wait :prayer:
@Dickie 1
 
Dickie - so sorry about your mum, another worry for you at a time you could do with your mum's support. I hope you find a solution you are all happy with. Ditto about crossing the ditch....we've been here 12 years and haven't yet been to Australia (so many people here 'pop over' several times a year!)....must look for a spell of cool weather (don't know how you cope with some of those temperatures!) and explore, it looks so different to NZ. Enjoy the freezer cooking....our new freezer doesn't arrive for another week so I couldn't do the 'pre-meal' thing....what a shame :whistle::heehee:
 
Mojo, yes the surgery is set for the 4th May, just under 4 weeks away. My aim is to cook and freeze 28 meals for 2. I spent a lot of yesterday cooking and freezing meals, I have 12 done now. But my hip has been so painful since from the standing in the kitchen. I must buy a stool to sit on. It isn't normal to have this much pain today, there has to be something very wrong.
Currently, I am quite cross with my Brother, as he will not commit to help me find Mum a permanent place in Aged care. He cannot see that she is unable to live safely in the house. His time frame is about 12 months, but he is so unrealistic. Having being a Nurse for 40 years, I know I am right. Anyway, it will be all his problem soon.
Anny, yes the cooler nights are already here. We are needing more rain, as Autumn has been very dry.
 
I know I you have to be anxious for surgery but honestly I hope they do see an honest to goodness Fixable Problem so we can just be done with this!
Revision..so be it!
Family dynamics can be so trying!
Guess your 40 years of experience doesn't phase brother:headbang:
As you say, you have your own issues too be dealt with so maybe he will come to some different conclusions when it becomes solely his responsibility.
Hoping you have a peaceful day!
 
I attended a hip education class last week, as the surgeon is doing a posterior entry this time and the body restrictions are different. Last time I had a 1 on 1 visit, this time it was a class settling with about a dozen prospective patients. I had a 1 on 1 with a Nurse regarding my situation and he listened to my fears and terror of more surgery. The Physio got up there and stated we expect you to wear 'day clothing' as you are not sick, but a little bit sore. Well that is obviously coming from someone who hasn't had a hip replacement?
I spoke and said, I have no intention of wearing day clothing while in hospital, as it hurts too much to keep changing. The Physio was not impressed. Too bad, so sad. It is my surgery and depending how I feel, I'll wear what I like. I will mobilise as required, I will do my exercises and shower myself, all in my PJ's.

My concern this week is the surgeon will open me up find nothing wrong and close me up again. He told me at the appointment it was exploratory surgery and if the prosthetic is well fixed, he won't touch it. Yet all the consent forms and information forms do not mention exploratory surgery anywhere, they all say a Rt hip revision and that is what I am being charged the $6000 for. So I am a little confused. To me the consent form should say exploratory surgery with a possible revision required. I'll be very depressed if he does do nothing and sends me home remaining in pain. I have cooked up a number of meals now (20) or so, but that causes the pain to increase as I'm standing for long periods. Less than 2 weeks to go now. I take it day by day.
 
I am guessing they have a good idea revision will be necessary...just a cover all bases play, perhaps?
I wore a nighty type deal with front snaps, as easier for bathroom and changing, etc. Looked like my granny's seersucker house dress:heehee:
Comfy though.
Try to think positive...I am hoping this will be the solution and wish you all the best. :friends:
What day is your surgery?
 
I was required to have clothing on straight out of recovery. In fact I left Recovery in my own clothes.
Sans the bra. I didn't care! My thought process was I just experienced major surgery and earned the right to ditch that thing. The nurses laughed when they were pulling out my clothes to help me dress and I said "Nuh uh...put the bra back in my bag!"

My opinion is it's all part of the plan to get you mobile and into a healing mindset as opposed to a patient in a gown lying in a bed. I bought the softest looking lounge wear I could find with a stretchy elastic waist and nothing clingy and wore comfy t-shirts. Purchase something like that and size up if you feel it would be more comfy. Honestly I was happier in my own comfy clothes than the dumb hospital gown that you're always flashing someone with :heehee: So re-think the clothing idea. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Best of luck with it all. Please keep us posted. I hope this process brings you relief.
@Dickie 1
 
Last edited:
Thank you Jaycey & Layla, that has been my thinking as well. I have nothing to lose, despite my fears of the unknown. Fibromyalgia and hip surgery are not a good mix. The OS gave me an information sheet, but there is nothing new to learn. I've read it all online before, the risks and having been a Nurse for 39 years the usual risks have not changed. I'll do some more reading as he will go in posterior this time and not anterior. I just hope that he can find a reason for my pain. The pain is real and I have done everything that was asked of me to date, even still go to the pool, which is not a favourite activity, but I have made a couple of friends there now.
I very much appreciate the support.

Dickie1, I’m having groin pain after my anterior THR in Nov. Is this the kind of pain you are having? I’m apologize if you have already written about it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Layla, yes that is the mind set. But using my own Pj's will not stop me mobilising or doing the physio required. I have plenty of comfy clothes for home track suit pant were good last time. I was in so much pain last time, the thought of dressing didn't appear on my radar and I won't be bullied. I'm doing things in my own time this time. I will mobilise as requested to prevent all the nasty things happening. I won't be lounging around and fail to mobilise.

Lucinda, in answer to your question, yes I have groin pain and also thigh pain. But the horrendous pain started soon after surgery and while in hospital. No amount of pain relief would do a lot and I spent a lot of time in tears. Lyrica (for nerve pain) helped a little, but it blocks cognitive function so I felt like a Zombie. I was on Lyrica for 6 months, then it wasn't helping any more, so I weaned off it. Lyrica is highly addictive and I had to wean off the doses, then stop. I had some withdrawal for about 90 minutes, mostly anxiety, but I cleaned the dishwasher and got through this. After a month post surgery the pain had decreased and I was able to come off the strong opiates. However, I have never had a period of pain free yet and it is close to 2 years. I still require 3 does over the day to enable me to walk and try to be normal at home. I have learned that I cannot walk more than 1 kilometre for the day, I cannot stand for more than 1 hour at a time and my quality of life is non existent. I still require 1 crutch to walk say around the shopping centre. At 16 months they found a stress fracture of my femur, after a fall off a step at home, the OS felt it had been there all along, in other words it was fractured at the time of surgery. This has since healed, but took several months. I had an anterior hip replacement too. I still get pain on the bad days at what I think is the tip of the femoral stem. I describe the pain when it is at its worst, similar to a broom handle being forced up my thigh. You would think that I would not have a feeling like this? Lucinda, I hope your pain settles for you. May I suggest that you keep a diary of what activities you do and see if you can see a pattern, perhaps you are over doing it? The OS doing the surgery is the 2nd opinion Surgeon. Since the original surgeon thinks that I should be pain free by now and has basically wiped me. Good luck, keep in touch, Lucinda.
 
@Dickie 1 Research has shown that getting patients up and dressed in normal clothing gets them moving confidently quicker. I really don't think it's bullying. You are free to say no to any PT. But I did find getting dressed in street clothes made me feel less of a patient. I was doing laps around the ward on day 2.
 
Jaycey, I respect what you say, but if this time is anything like the original surgery and I'm in the same horrific pain, getting into clothes wasn't even on the radar. However, I mobilised myself as was the expectations, I was showering myself day 2 and getting in and out of bed. I wasn't doing laps of the ward, but went outside my room and did my exercises. It shouldn't matter what I wear. My biggest fear is that I remain the same despite a second bout of surgery. Everyone's journey is individual. I saw these ideas of patients wearing clothes being touted around back in the 1980's, frankly I didn't care what people wore as long as they were comfortable. Rehab is different as you are further along from the surgery, I can understand their push if you are in rehab.
2 years of constant pain and little help from Doctors, where I have been close to ending my life on 2 occasions because of pain, is no life. It is a physical battle, it is an emotional battle daily. I have no enjoyment left or quality of life. It has changed me from being Cinderella to the Evil step Mother. I appreciate the support on the forum.
 
Hi @Dickie 1
I'm sorry to hear of your physical and emotional struggles.
Very soon you will be on the road to recovery once again,
hopefully releasing you from the anguish you're suffering.
If you haven't already, please talk to your doctor about something to help you with the anxiety.
Just as a bridge, until you get from here....to where yo want to be.
Hate to see you feeling so hopeless. Where there is breath, there is hope. Hang on tight, relief is coming.
We'll be here as you move forward. You're not alone.
To brighter days.....
 
Let's get this next recovery on the road. I get how anxious you must be due to the lack of success of your prior surgery.
I'm praying all goes incredibly well for you.
Time to get well!:loveshwr:
 
Dear Layla and Mojo, thank you for the continued support. I appreciate how much you are offering me. Thank you for the prayers as well. I will recover on my terms this time, doing my physio exercises and deep breathing as requested, but at my pace. I have a friend who has invited me to a prayer session, so I am going to see her Thursday. I remain anxious, but controlled. I pray that the Surgeon can find the cause and is able to fix it. I will go to see my Mother tomorrow. Friday is looming on the horizon. I am nearly organised. I will just take it a day at a time and let nature heal. I really hope that whatever my problem is, it can be rectified.
You ladies are amazing.
 
Hi @Dickie 1
Let's pray and have faith that May 4th will be the beginning of the end.
It's good to hear you have friends to lean on who are praying for you also.
Sounds like you're organized and ready to roll.
I hope you have a nice visit with your mom. Stay in touch. We'll be here for you.
 
Thank you for the lovely replies from all over the world. Wow the world is a small place with the internet now.
I am nearly organised now, just have to get Hubby to bring my medical chair down from upstairs (Ebay), a bit of house cleaning and pack my bags. I have a friend from down my road (which is a long main road) has invited me over for prayers on Thursday. I am not a deeply religious person, but appreciate her offer and will drive to her house. I think this is a lovely gesture, I need all the help I can get. I used to work with her when we were working midwives in a former life. I am still very nervous, but I have to move forward.
Sending positive thoughts to everyone.
 
I will be thinking of you and sending all the good Mojo I can your way.
Let's get this done so you can start getting well!
:friends:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom