Guest viewing is limited

THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Well out of the blue last week I received a phone call from the OS rooms. I was required to attend an urgent bone scan on Monday this week, followed by a consultation with the OS. I had no contact with the rooms since I requested the form to be posted out. So I had the bone scan, but the results were inconclusive. OS was very disappointed and so was I. It showed hot spot where the fracture is healing, but the OS said that he expected the whole femoral stem to light up and it was showing a few hot spots in places around the femoral stem.
OS still thinks that the femoral stem is loose. It seems to fit with my symptoms.
OS will review me in March as he was always going to do. He is thinking of doing an exploratory surgery to see if the femoral stem is loose, doesn't seem to think there is infection.
He said he wouldn't do another anterior procedure like I have, but the posterior, as if he needs to replace the femoral stem he needs to use a longer one to go past the point of the stress fracture. The anterior procedure would not allow him enough room to use the longer stem.
In the mean time, I remain in quite intense pain like a rod is being pushed into my thigh, which I suppose it is.
The pain is eating me emotionally, I am feeling very down and have little interest in Christmas, despite the fact 10 people are coming for Christmas lunch. Standing cooking for several hours will make the pain very intense.
 
Oh my stars...please make sure you use an aid to keep the pressure off that leg as much as you can. I hate that you are in pain.
March , if it is loose, seems like a long time to wait...but maybe they want to give it extra time?
Folks need to help you with Christmas dinner preparation out have Chinese takeout...you have to put yourself first. Don't want to make things worse.
There will be more Christmases.
Keeping you in my prayers.
Tag Jo if you have medical advice questions.
I'll be keeping you in my prayers.:angel:
 
Thank you ,My Aussie Girl and Mojo, I agree March is a long way out. I have a series of X-rays to be done just prior to the consultation. The OS I am seeing is the 2nd opinion and not the original surgeon. Over the last couple of weeks I have been feeling off-colour, not sick, but not well either. I am half wondering if I have a low-grade infection brewing that has always been there. My Daughter is helping out Christmas day, I have asked my son tonight for some help with cooking the meat at Christmas. I have to make this Christmas good, as my rapidly aging Mother is coming along, she has permission from the aged care place to attend and my Brother bringing her. I can rest up on Boxing day as no visitors or no plans. Sending blessings of the season to you both.
 
It’s good you will have some help @Dickie 1. Sorry for the pain. It’s great your mom can come for Christmas. Hopefully this second surgeon can figure things out. It is scary when there is a problem with surgical hip. Does elevation and ice provide any relief?
 
I am happy your mama can come too...I see now why you want to make it special.
Do try to take extra care...
I hope your holiday is bright!:tree2;
 
My heart goes out to you! Surgery and recovery make you feel vulnerable as it is so I can’t imagine how you are feeling. Plus the pain, plus worrying about both Mom’s. Will pray the Dr. Gets to the bottom of this. Hugs to you!
 
Hi @Dickie 1
I am so sorry for your struggles. Pain wears on our emotions and drains us. Living with discomfort while patiently waiting for answers must be very difficult. My heart goes out to you.

I can understand the stress involved in prepping to entertain a group of 10.
You may be surprised and find the lunch a pleasant distraction. Consider enlisting the help of others.
Those who know and love you will certainly understand and want to help.

Prayers for your peace of mind, answers, resolution and that you feel the spirit of the season.
:nativity: :merry christmas:
 
Thank you for the kind thoughts and wishes. I look forward to the day I have a pain free day, in 20 months I have not had 1 pain free day yet. Something was wrong from the start, as the pain was about 40 out of 10 post operatively, now less, but never gone. It terrifies me that I may have to have a revision. It has been a long journey. This OS is meticulous and careful. He has done pretty much every investigation, that is non-invasive now.
Thank you again and merry Christmas. It is summer over here and we are expecting a perfect day on Christmas day. Merry Christmas to all.
 
:yes!::yay::egypdance::dancy::happydance:
Yay for pain free day!!!:friends:

:merry christmas:
 
And we may have snow on Christmas Day, which makes it perfect over here. Glad your surgeon sounds so meticulous @Dickie 1-that’s what you want. :chris-win:
 
Prayers for a pain free day...month...YEAR!! Go big or go home, right?
Sincerely hoping your pain eases soon.
Christmas where I live will be about 4 degrees with snow on the ground..... Brrrr! :re-snowman:
@Dickie 1
 
Well it has been a while since I last posted and nothing has changed for me. I managed to get through Christmas and cook for everyone. Last few days the pain has increased due to a lady pushing a pram, cut in front of me down the street. When on a crutch you cannot easily change direction and the force of stopping quickly so I didn't run into her, I took the full force of the stop on my operated leg. It has taken a few strong pain relievers to remain comfortable, which to me seems to reinforce that the prosthetic is loose. The last 2 days I am struggling to lift my leg to do things, this is new. I have an OS review in 3 weeks time.
I still have to do things for my Mum, and just what I need my son has fractured his ankle. He does not live at home, but has been asking me to drive him to frequent medical appointments. It is very busy for me at present.
My mobility has reduced a bit as well. I am now 21 months post op hip replacement, not exactly the outcome that was promised.
 
Last edited:
I am glad to hear from you, although sad to hear you have no reprieve from your pain and haven't seen consultant yet. I would've thought you had already been. Poor Dickie. And then to have someone practically run over you..
Come on three weeks, I'm sure it must seem am eternity.
I want so much for them just to get it fixed for you.
Healing hugs:console2:
 
Last edited:
Aww, I am so very sorry for your longsuffering.
Waiting almost two years for resolution, while living in pain, must be awful.
My heart goes out to you. I hope your appt in three weeks is the beginning of
the end of your suffering.
Prayers for your comfort in the interim :prayer:
@Dickie 1
 
I went back to the Surgeon on Friday (2nd opinion one) with a fresh set of X-rays. Well the x-rays appear to be text book perfect, nothing abnormal can be seen. The OS put his head in his hands and asked me where to go from here? He doesn't believe it is infection being the cause. I threw the ball back to his court and said I don't know? So he discussed with me he is considering taking me to theatre and having a look. If the prosthetic is loose, then he will do a revision, if it appears normal he won't do anything, just close up.
He said that we don't want to go in with 1 problem and come out with 2. I can see his point. He did say however, that how I am now, maybe is what I'll always be. That statement is daunting, as being how I am now, means 24/7 pain, limited mobility and poor quality of life. 5 months before my hip was replaced, I was boxing for fitness with a PT. We want to travel, but my pain and mobility are restricting me. He was open for me to have a 3rd opinion if I wanted that, but that is more time and money. This OS is meticulous and I trust him. He offered to have the first Surgeon at the surgery, if I wanted that. To be honest, I don't want him near me. I feel it is worth a look, but daunting, because I don't know the outcome until I wake up. I also told him about the horrific, immediate post-operative pain, which he was unable to explain. I am a tad terrified about a revision.
What do other think? What would you do? I appreciate any responses.
 
Last edited:
I'd go for the op. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. You need your mobility back and you don't need to live in pain. Please keep us updated.
 
Prayers for your comfort, your peace of mind and a strong sense of direction as to how you should proceed.
@Dickie 1
 
Thank you Jaycey & Layla, that has been my thinking as well. I have nothing to lose, despite my fears of the unknown. Fibromyalgia and hip surgery are not a good mix. The OS gave me an information sheet, but there is nothing new to learn. I've read it all online before, the risks and having been a Nurse for 39 years the usual risks have not changed. I'll do some more reading as he will go in posterior this time and not anterior. I just hope that he can find a reason for my pain. The pain is real and I have done everything that was asked of me to date, even still go to the pool, which is not a favourite activity, but I have made a couple of friends there now.
I very much appreciate the support.
 
Back
Top Bottom