THR Severe pain after 15 months<

Sorry I haven't posted, but I was unable to post from my iPhone, as the password wouldn't let me on. Hello to everyone and I'll update you. I had my exploratory surgery on May 4th. I was a little annoyed to have been told to fast from midnight and be at the hospital by 6.30am, when I was the first on the list for the afternoon. So I waited in the holding area for neatly 5 hours, before I was called up.
So I went in and it was exploratory surgery, no guarantee of anything.
Findings were: The femoral stem was loose and only attached at the back to the bone in 2 places. Despite both surgeons saying the leg length was equal, he found a discrepancy in leg length. However, the surgeon told me it wasn't enough to cause the amount of pain I was having. Then on day 2 of recovery, the surgeon said, the prosthetic was massive. Although he has used this brand many times, he has only used this size twice in his career and these were both in men. He couldn't believe that I had been implanted with such a large size, as I am not a big person. So my pain was validated. So he revised the femoral stem, but felt the other parts were well aligned so he did not change these over.
However, the pain for me is very high, even nearly 3 weeks out. I was in the acute hospital for 5 days and was transferred to rehabilitation for 12 days. I was discharged home today. The rehab was to get the pain relief right. I am on high does of a slow release opiate, Lyrica, anti-inflammatory daily, paracetamol, and Endone for break thorough pain, which I need twice a day. I feel like I am walking on a steel post, which is basically what I am. I am praying the pain will start to lessen. My husband does nothing to help and I am back cooking dinner tonight. It isn't fair. I attended Physio twice a day, while in rehabilitation, but did break down in tears at times. The wound is healing well.
I welcome any suggestions. As the pain is as bad as before. Sending good wishes to all.
 
Last edited:
Hi @Dickie
I just re-read your thread to familiarize myself once again. This has been a long journey and to
read you are still experiencing high levels of pain after the revision is troubling.

In an effort to get the dates in your signature updated:
1) What is the date of your original RTHR?
2) I see the original was revised - May 4, 2016. Correct?
3) 2nd Revision - May 4, 2018? (Two yrs to the date of first revision?) Please clarify all.

I'm sorry you are still suffering. I'm equally sorry you're not getting the support of your husband
when you need it. Consider having a conversation with him on his expectations vs. your current capabilities.
Possibly buy things he can prepare easily enough for himself until you're feeling stronger.

Prayers that your pain begins to lessen and your strength increases. I hope today is a good day!
 
@Dickie 1 Welcome to the other side (again). So sorry you are still struggling. But it does sound like your procedure was anything but straight forward. Are you icing and elevating.
My husband does nothing to help and I am back cooking dinner tonight.
Sorry but hubby need to grow up. You should not be cooking at all. Frozen meals or anything ready to eat. And I am certain he can go get these meals for you.
I attended Physio twice a day, while in rehabilitation, but did break down in tears at times.
I hope you are not still doing physio. You need to rest that hip - it has seen a lot of trauma.

I'll post the recovery articles for you here. I am sure these will be a review but it's good to have a reminder.
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 
Wow @Dickie 1 I am so sorry I was so hopeful this was it....still I have hope....yet I wish your hubby would help more and they would fix this once and for all :prayer:
 
Jacey, Oh that information is wonderful to read. It is sound solid advice. While in rehab, talking with other patients that I got to know, we all thought that physio (and it is intense) twice a day was too much. I am a bootcamper (well in my past life), so I did my exercises. Last Friday the Physio decided to stretch my thigh, for what purpose I don't know. She put my leg up over and shoulder and pushed. Well that night the pain was so severe.
I told her on Monday, that will never happen again. I have plenty of common sense and listen to my body.
I am resting a lot. My pain meds were due at 6am, but I went back to sleep at 5.30am after a pit stop (bathroom) and went back to sleep and slept till 9am. The pain was pretty intense, so I have had a slow morning.My body obviously needed the sleep. Hospitals, even rehab are not places of rest, really.
I need to find the ice packs and will rest more. I am home alone during the day, so I still have to do my food and drinks. I am sorry I was unable to post until I got home.
My Aussie girl, thank you for the support. The pain levels are high, but not as severe as the original hip replacement. I am on the top dose of Palexia 250mg twice a day, paracetamol, anti inflammatory, Clexanine injections for another 2 weeks, I also have short acting Endone for break through pain.
 
Layla, sorry, I just did read your post. Oringinal RTHR (Anterior) was 16th May 2016, this current revision was done on the 4th May 2018 (Posterior). Only 2 surgeries. Sorry, If I confused it. Yes, nearly 2 years to the day. Can I say that I also have Fibromyalgia, any surgery of any type gives me high pain levels. It may be concerning that they are so high, but it isn't as bad as last time and I pray that it will start to calm soon. It has been a long, pain filled journey. Thank for the prayers. I appreciate the support.
 
Thanks for claryfing!
I'm so sorry you suffer with Fibromyalgia, producing greater pain as a result of surgery.
Hopefully you find relief soon. We're all rooting for you.
I hope you have a restful day!
@Dickie 1
 
what a journey you're on, @Dickie 1 :oyvey:so sorry to read that after all that you're still suffering a lot of pain, like everyone else I wish I could offer something that would bring an end to it. Do you feel that you are a bit nearer a resolution, going on what the surgeon has said? I do hope that they can offer a solution, this is such a see-saw for you, offering hope then nothing happening. Please take it very easy and rest lots.....with regard to the physio, I nodded and promised to do it, then ignored it, even with my uneventful THR.....I decided that arguing the whys and wherefores with the physio was going to be stressful, it makes more sense to me that you allow something to heal before you make it work. Take care, all fingers and toes firmly crossed for you
 
I send hugs and prayers as always.... I am glad the pain is some less....The leg up thing at PT is CRAZY I won't even do that..
Oh sweetie I am glad you said no to that now on....ouch! :prayer:
 
Thank you for the continued support. I went out to lunch with some Nursing colleagues today, my first outing since leaving the hospital. I told them what was said regarding the physio and not to do physio and let the hip heal, they all thought that this sounded like a very common sense approach. Once driving, hopefully at 6 weeks, I will return to the pool and can easily do exercises then. At home I am doing more walking than in hospital anyway. I have made some 'baby-steps' progress since my discharge on 22nd May. I haven't required an Endone for breakthrough pain, only taking 1 at bedtime. The long acting Palexia is holding the pain off.
Today, I didn't have far to walk at the café for lunch. It was good to get out and catch up with dear friends and colleagues. mental health is important too. Thank you all again. Happy to meet you Annie. It is wonderful that we live so far apart distance wise, but we are able to connect and support others?
 
Hi @Dickie 1
Its nice to hear you were able to enjoy lunch with some friends. Recovery can get frustrating and boring
at times. A few hours of pleasant distraction sure helps. It sounds like you're doing well. Make sure to ice after those outings in these early days.
I hope you have a nice weekend!
 
Cool on getting out of the house and lunching with friends.... I agree totally mental health to me was job one in my hip recoveries. @Dickie 1 ..For you this holiday weekend :flwrysmile::prayer:
 
I will return to the pool and can easily do exercises then.
Be very careful doing exercises in water. You are weightless and can easily do most. But you will over use the muscles and once on dry land you may suffer. Ease into any activity. Slow and steady is a better approach.
 
mental health is important too
Yes, it certainly is.
It is vital to recovery and resilience.
It certainly is amazing that long distance connections can take place for such a good cause!
 
It is wonderful that we live so far apart distance wise, but we are able to connect and support others?

Absolutely Dickie.....I don't have a big support group here in NZ, but the encouragement and help I've had from so many people round the world has more than made up for it....I only help I can pay it back by helping others in my turn.

Getting together with friends must have given you a real boost....and how good that they are nurses too and validate the 'slowly slowly' method of recovery. I was looking at another forum for hip replacements, and the majority of posters were concerned about pains which they attributed to poor surgery outcomes, and were dealing with it by doing yet more exercises....tempted to sign on just to pass on BS mantra :heehee:
 
Layla, thank for the reminder about using the ice. Yes, I was pretty sore last night, despite not having to walk far.
Jaycey, thank you about easing into the water exercises. Perhaps I'll just walk in the water to start off and do land based gentle exercises after my 6 week follow-up with the Surgeon. I can't get to the pool now, as I am not driving. I'm quite sore today, as well. So just taking it slow.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom