Sequin98's Pre-op Journey

@BeBe can't believe how fast it's going now.....did someone speed up the world? :heehee: Hope you're doing ok, and the pain is bearable. Mine seems to have gone into hibernation...prompting more questions about why I'm doing it, as it looks as if the post-op pain is going to be worse than the pre-op :umm:never satisfied, me!:)
 
So no stockings, the doctor will decide on either a pill (please please please) of an injection for 5 weeks (shudder) for blood thinning. I wonder what the criteria is...I picked up a pair of crutches too...
 
Class was great, a lot of info to absorb so take notes. We got disinfecting soap to use for 3 days pre op. Also got tested for MRSA and Staph. Informed on what to expect and time schedule, did all preadmission so day of surgery I was fast tracked thru. Class also prepared us for what we might need like a raised toilet seat, a grabber tool, dressing stick, sock aid,walking stick or cane, walker, a rolled towel for ankle or knee support, sponge on a stick for showering along with soap on a rope and a suction cup grab handle for the shower. Gave me time to round it all up ahead of time so home was ready for me along with a chair you will spend a lot of time in. Also make sure you have good slip on shoes and or elastic laces for your sneakers and a long handle show horn.
 
Last edited:
I had a toilet seat riser and didn't like it. Got lucky and someone local had a bedside toilet that you could set directly over the toilet. Much more comfortable and easier to get on and off of. Never needed crutches and I borrowed a walker and only used it the first week or so. As I said in other posts I have a polar cube instead of an ice pack, it circulates ice water thru a pad and works great. I do have a clay type ice pad that I've used in the past, works better than an ice pack and forms to your shape and doesn't require ice.
 
I am beyond terrified of needles. Although I have not been told I have to use them, I am still getting anxiety over the thought. The nurse said in the pre op class that it would be the pill or the needle. I am wondering what the criteria is...
 
I didn't get any blood thinners at all. Twice a day low dose aspirin for two weeks post op...that's it.
 
I think what Mojo means is that she didn't get any prescription blood thinners. Aspirin is a blood thinner and many doctors use it these days following surgery. But, what you get will be up to your surgeon as he's the one who knows your complete medical history and he'll have his established protocols.
 
That is what I meant, Sequin , that my aspirin was my blood thinner.
I'm glad Jamie clarified. And your surgeon will know what he needs you to be on.
I brought some hard soled moccasin type slippers I used while I was there, and went home in.
 
In hospital I had socks with grips on the bottom that they gave me. Coming home I had slip on shoes that have treads on bottom. I’ve got aspirin as blood thinner. No compression stockings either.
 
I am going to plead my case with my OS that I am afraid of needles.(please give me the pill) I have a serious needle phobia....:yikes::scare:
 
Try everything NOW, before the surgery to see if it will work or to use it. As for blood thinners only a a coated aspirin once a day for 4 weeks taken with a Previcid to protect the stomach. Had the air powered boots in the hospita to keep blood flowing and do ankle pumps all of the time to prevent any clots.
For shoes sneakers are the best. If you have comfortable sneakers buy elastic laces and you can slip them on.
 
St the pre-op class, the nurse said it would be either a pill, or the injections. I am wondering what the criteria is for one, or the other. Hence, I will plead.
 
Crutches, or walker?
Since I need help hopping on crutches, I plan to bring my crutches to the hospital. I know how to use my walker, and they said that even at the 2 week appt, they want to see us using one of them.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom