TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather's been getting warmer in my part of the world (NYC metro) and since we're packing to move to a new apartment, the Boyfriend and I have been eating out every night and sometimes taking a walk after. Nice (except for the fact that I'm trying to keep off the pounds I lost), and since I don't do any formal PT, I figure the extra walking added to my commute and workday activities is good for me. OK, so here's what bugs me: the residual swelling and stiffness. Not as bad as it once was, but if it didn't happen, I could almost manage without my cane. I'm at about 16 weeks --wondering when / if this gets better...? Sometimes when I'm zipping around the office, I'm almost swinging the cane without really leaning on it....but then the next day, I might be so achy, I wish I had two canes! Argh.
 
@SeptemberZen - had to laugh at the image of wearing a sleeve over your pants! I had a nurse in the hospital that wore his scrubs tucked into his socks!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

BananasKnees, I work for NYC Transit at a large bus depot. My office is on the garage floor so, imagine looking up from your desk and seeing a large bus roll by your window..... The buses are driven over a long pit so that the mechanics can work under them and two of these pits are just outside my office. Anyway, I explain all this just to say, covered in oil, grease, and what have you, the bus mechanics don't have any worries about how they look in knee sleeves! :) :) :) (Most wear them UNDER their pants, though!)
 
That's fantastic, @jfiori54 !
Definitely getting better for me too. For the most part, I'm not woken up by nighttime pain nearly as often as I was. Sometimes I just go back to sleep, sometimes I get up to go to the bathroom and just moving the leg around helps to stop the ache.
I guess we're getting there!
 
I bought the sleeve yesterday on Amazon for the same price as Wal-Mart. They had all sizes and it came today. Hope it helps.
 
What is a sleeve, May I ask?
 
I wish I had one of these sleeves earlier on. It isnt quite as sensitive anymore but I spent many nights with my operative leg outside of the bed sheets. I am going to buy one so that I have it for when I do the other knee. Hope it helps you @SeptemberZen.
 
@Bilbo I got mine on Amazon, but I just saw them at Walmart by the "As seen on TV".
It is a copper infused sleeve for the knee. It does not have too much compression. I see you just had your surgery so it might be a few more weeks until you need it.
@SeptemberZen I am happy for your that you are finally sleeping, it must be such a relief! I am due back at work around the 1st of next month, but Doc says he can give me a few more weeks, I hope so!
 
Definitely! The first time I woke up and realized that I had woke up "naturally" -- meaning not awakened by nighttime pain, I was stunned! And thrilled! Nighttime pain still happens occasionally but not often. Ready for another milestone? I can lay on my stomach for a little while. Can't fall asleep that way yet, but i so missed being able to roll onto my tummy for awhile!
 
I also have less sensitivity on my scar. If I remember, I wear the sleeve sometimes at night but sometimes I forget. The sheets don't irritate as much as they used to.
 
@SeptemberZen , have I ever told you that I love reading your posts?? Recovery from knee replacement surgery is never fun, but your sense of humor is fabulous and always cheers me up. Keep feeling better, you are doing great!

p.s. I am just a few months further along in my recovery and now I can sleep on my stomach and turn side-to-side, no problem. I still notice the scar if I go crawling on my knees to reach for something.
 
Aw thanks, Clipless! Laughing's better than crying, right? Have done my fair share of both, but I try to see the humor in most things!
 
Small steps zzzzzzen add them up and they make big steps. Chortling with you

Legin THR Sep 14
 
SZ - some tips from a recently moved person: You know there are nine million things to do, but you'll find you can do two or three of them, then be done for the day! Pushing and pulling furniture even on a smooth tile floor... you'll pay for that. Up your icing 2-3 more times a day, being away from your normal routine you end up doing far more than you realize.

This has been rough and I'm trying to figure out a new normal again as I go through it, bottom line seems to be; overdoing it is the norm, paying for overdoing it is the norm. Not to be all negative but I'm butt deep in boxes right now and feeling a bit frustrated.
 
We are also in the process of moving and spent today filling boxes throwing out stuff wrapping things in bubble wrap it is tiring and also I remember from another move easy to have accidents like walking forward not seeing a box because you are tired and going head over heels across the room and in front of removal men undignified but now with our new knees scary thought


20/01/2015
 
I hear you, Pax and Homeport! Our movers are coming on Thursday but the estimate is higher than we thought, so we're making several mini-trips on our own since we're only moving a half hour away. Still, there's a flight of stairs to be negotiated on both ends and my knees are complaining BIG time. And it must be said, the Boyfriend is a lousy packer, bless his messy, disorganized, pack rat heart. I've moved a million times so I do it very well. Don't make the boxes too heavy, pack them with like items, and mark them well, etc. He throws most of his **** in bags , all jumbled up..sigh.. makes things just a bit more difficult.

Will definitely ice, elevate and rest tomorrow!
 
SZ- can't even imagine moving with someone who packs like that, it would make me bonkers!! :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom