TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
SZ....as you get more tired & uncomfortable from moving you may get more careless in your steps you take. Please be careful, do not trip. And no pushing boxes with your legs! I also have moved many times in my 60 yrs. I have packed a few U-Haul trucks in my day. Take care.
 
Done for the night. A couple more trips tomorrow. Sooooo glad I held on to a couple of Percocet! I reeeealllly need one tonight! Whew!
 
Glad the move is almost done.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with the move! Hope it's painless and your stuff arrives unscathed. :thumb:
 
Just checking in. ..tomorrow's the big day. In the meantime, we've made several daily trips back and forth to carry stuff that doesn't fit neatly in boxes and hopefully it will save us a ton of money as well. The moving estimate was higher than we expected and I think we've been able to bring the cost down considerably.
Surprisingly enough, the bionics held out pretty good. When you consider that I've spent the last 4-5 days, packing, lifting, going up and down stairs -- mostly one at a time -- and also going to work (!), I'm doing pretty good! I worked my butt off but rested when I needed to. Didnt do much in the way of icing and elevating, but my knee didn't complain that much. There were a couple of times when I misjudged what my bionic knee could handle, but it quickly let me know, so I backed off! :-) The non-op knee whined a little, but again, I rested when I needed to.

Also helps that I dated a home contractor for several years; he taught me how to lift heavy things without hurting yourself (bend your knees; don't hold your breath; get as close to the item as possible and avoid having to carry it over a long distance; let gravity do the work when bringing something heavy down a flight of stairs, etc). The best news is that over the past week, I've slept pretty darn good. I had a couple of instances of nighttime pain but for the most part, I was too tired to do anything about it! LOL! :)
 
SZ- can't even imagine moving with someone who packs like that, it would make me bonkers!! :heehee:
Pax, there were more than a couple of times when I wanted to smack him (LOL! ), but the good news is that he began to see that my way was better, and would save us time and money. He started packing better and marking many of his boxes. Lord knows, of course, that he had to be a little stubborn about it but when it came to his ****, I stopped squawking. He's retired so if he wants to spend forever and a day looking for something, have at it, buddy! :)
 
Too funny! :rotfl:

My wife is the consummate packer, which meshes well with my style, I grew up military and can pack a house in two days flat complete with coded manifest! Although she is a pack rat so we have way too much stuff for our tiny condo. But I'm being good and not saying "I told you so" as she unpacks and realizes much of it will not fit! :yes:
 
SeptemberZen, that makes me tired & cranky just to read what all you've been doing! It's wonderful, though, that your knees have held up admirably through it all!

@Pax - may I "borrow" you the next time I have to organize my stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
BananasKnees, I WAS tired and cranky! If you ever want to test your relationship, organize a move with your significant other -- a few months after knee surgery. If you're still speaking to each other at the end of it, get married immediately! :-)
 
BananasKnees, I WAS tired and cranky! If you ever want to test your relationship, organize a move with your significant other -- a few months after knee surgery. If you're still speaking to each other at the end of it, get married immediately! :-)
LOL ROTF, this is precious. Hopefully you packed the frying pan so you didn't hit him with it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Zen....your question a while back about whether or not your knee will keep swelling at odd times.....it could do this for quite a while but eventually you'll notice it lessens and then disappears. I had swelling with both my knees for about 1 1/2 years. It was never bad really, just there. Then one day it sort of quit happening. Now I really have to overdo it to have actual knee pain. And, let's face it...even with real knees, that can happen. So you have better days ahead!!!
 
Thanks, Jamie! It's such a pain in the butt! Er.....in the **knee! (Teehee) Sometimes at work, I actually have to stand up at my desk for a few minutes to get my knee to behave and loosen up. While we were packing and lifting things, etc, sometimes I'd have to stop and sit down for a few minutes because I'd feel the swelling coming on. You know how they call "Timeout!" in a basketball or football game and all the action has to STOP immediately for a minute or so? Yeah, like that! Inconvenient, to say the least! :) :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Too funny! :rotfl:

My wife is the consummate packer, which meshes well with my style, I grew up military and can pack a house in two days flat complete with coded manifest! Although she is a pack rat so we have way too much stuff for our tiny condo. But I'm being good and not saying "I told you so" as she unpacks and realizes much of it will not fit! :yes:

Well, you're better than I am, Pax! I try not to be a harpy, but I cannot control myself when I find that we have 3 back scratchers and the dude comes home with ANOTHER one ("Yeah, I know it LOOKS like the ones we have, honey, but it's a little longer!")

Or, when he buys the pack of 24 rolls of paper towels -- two days after he bought the last one. He's lucky I didn't kick him with my "good"leg! I must say, though, lately I'm wondering which one is my good leg. Sometimes it's the bionic one, sometimes it's the non-op one!
And this move has taught me that I must get back to the gym (I live closer now. Yay!).
Still have to go down stairs one at a time but I try to go up normally. I can do it but my quad feels weird -- weak and achy. I usually have to grab the banister, put my cane two steps up, and sort of haul myself up, trying to focus on the quad to make it do the task at hand. But I think it would benefit from some work in the gym.
 
Zen
How is the new place and the commute?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The commute isn't any shorter unfortunately, but it's a nice ride so I don't mind it so much. Also, this bus comes much more frequently; if I miss one, there's another within 10 minutes at rush hour. The apartment's a mess but I'm loving the extra space. Of course, it's hard to actually see that with all the boxes everywhere! :-)
 
Glad your commute is better than before and less stressful. It sounded tough for anyone. Hope you are sleeping without having to get up and deal with the knee pain.

Ann


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad the move is done.
Take your time unpacking all the boxes - just do one or two and then stop.
 
We're two weeks ahead of you and can finally see some clear spaces!! Hope your un boxing goes well... maybe you'll come home from work and find that your boyfriend has unpacked and put everything away!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom