TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest, and more rest. You've done great though. I can't imagine doing all of this.
 
That's great news, Pax! I've gotten the kitchen and master bedroom pretty well setup but there is still stuff everywhere.

And yes, it's hard to resist the urge to run around and store / clean / arrange / rearrange things, but you guys are SO right. My knee, in fact, BOTH knees have made it clear to me that they WILL rebel if I try to push them around! Trying to take it easy...
 
You need some kind of cart you can run around on.
[Bonesmart.org] SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey
 
Have to make a big Walmart and hardware store run today, I'll be back on the electric cart for sure... gotta save my knee for the actual work.

SZ - bad thing, I keep "rewarding" myself for all my hard work with fun dinners and drinks out with my honey. The knee is getting stronger but my waistline isn't going in the right direction. :bawl:
 
The dreaded IT Band Syndrome. ..sigh. Add me to the list. I move my leg slightly and I get this blinding pain on the outside of my knee going down a little towards my shin, so bad I have to stop in my tracks. And then as soon as I readjust my leg, the pain subsides. So...I did what I always do when I need info: off to the web for research. I found my exact symptoms on several sites discussing knee replacement and IT syndrome (including this one), and almost all seemed to suggest what I already knew: All that packing, lifting heavy boxes and going up and down stairs so often in the space of a week probably caused it since I didn't have the pain before.

Argh. :gaah:
 
Sigh...

Suggestions, please. What do I do? Foam roller? Heat? Ice? RICE? Go back to the dreaded PT (Have neither the time nor money at the moment)...
 
I think @wberry has posted some basic exercises you can do against a wall to help. No need to spend more money.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Hey SZ.....glad your new home is set up. Take 5 (or 25) and relax. IT pain is nasty..... Rest and stretches my friend
 
SZ I know that IT band pain and my PT has me doing stretches and using the rolling pin on it. I hope yours getting better and congrats on a successful move. I'm just getting ready for mine the end of next month.


Brenda
 
Rest rest rest!!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ok,wondering if these are IT band issues after all. Whatever it is, it's so painful I can hardly stand it.

The pain comes when I move my leg. It only happens when I'm sitting, especially if I've been sitting for a while.

I could be sitting there, doing nothing and decide to adjust my leg slightly. All of a sudden, there's a blinding pain behind and just below knee, sometimes going toward the hamstring, sometimes radiating down the shin, sometimes it's all around the leg just below the knee.

When it hits, it's at a Level 8 or 9, and if I can adjust my leg slightly, straightening it a little, or moving it an inch, the pain subsides almost immediately, and then there's just a little residual soreness from the acute pain. Most often, there's no pain at all once I adjust my leg.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? ?
 
I use a 3" paint roller on my leg. I think it helped me a lot in the early recovery days. I think it helps keep things loose because When I do the stretch on the edge of the table & drop my leg down & back I get a real good stretch with no pain or cramping. Before I started using the roller I used to get cramping & pain. Worth a try maybe?
 
@tigz yes, I went up & down my leg. My PT said it was a great idea. I got the idea from Brenda who uses a rolling pin. For me the paint roller was easier to handle & perhaps easier to zero in on a smaller area. I don't know anything medically but I believe it helped me. Neccessity is the mother of invention! Oh the things we learn with the first TKR. I will be much more prepared when I do the other knee.
 
Hi @SeptemberZen

You had your knee done three days after I had hip done. I was able to wait til I had retired before having the op. I feel for everyone who has to go back to work - a little less mobile and a little bit older? You sound very patient which was something I learnt through this journey. Another thing I learnt was about not always being able to be in control! Hope you are keeping well - pain resolving?
Copsham
 
Got my paint roller and am ready to roll!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom