TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I generally alternate between the silicone sheets and the Saran wrap. Just amazes me how a smooth thin line turned into this ugly, bumpy, itchy thing seemingly overnight. :-(

Good luck on the move, Pax!!

We're officially moving on the 30th but landlord has agreed to giving us the keys a week early so that our new stove can be delivered. In the meantime, we're packing, purging, and surrounded by a sea of boxes and bags. Soooo tired...
 
I bet you are tired! I made the mistake of trying to shove the king sized bed away from the wall so I could unbolt the headboard... our knees are really not ready for that. *sigh*
 
Ain't that the truth! Same with sliding a box across the floor with your foot. Tried to move a box out of my way by sliding it with my foot...but my knee immediately advised me that this was NOT a good idea. Argh.
 
Thanks so much, PB! I put one in my cart. I'll have to wait until I'm on something other than an iPhone though since I can't get a sizing chart to show up; I'm a big gal so I'm guessing XXL anyway.
 
My thigh is 22.5" around at four inches above the knee. The XXL works comfortably for me. Definitely check the sizing chart once you get off mobile to make sure. You don't want it too loose or too tight.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yeap, I have one of these from when I was wearing a brace all the time. Its sitting in the box with the brace, I think i will pull it out. I don't have any sensitivity issues on my wound, I spend a lot of time massaging mine through out the day. There are some videos online on scare massages, I saw some for reducing pain, you might look them up. I used them early on when mine was sensitive.
 
Check this out. I know you have one of these at work.
I have a new at work stretch exercise, discovered it by accident.
1. Sit in a chair with wheels and position so knees are at 90 deg.
2. Slowly roll forward while holding the operative knee in place on the floor, don't move that foot.
3. When you get resistance or at the stretch level you want, from the resulting bend and it bends under the chair, hold for a 5 count and release.
4. repeat to your hearts content.

A modification of this is to hold for longer and massage tight spot until it relaxes

On your scar, I keep some penetrating and healing jell with me and keep the scar moist.
That scar will dry out and crack and hurt as you use it. So keeping it moist eases the pain.
I also do scar massage therapy on my scar several times a day
 
That scar will dry out and crack and hurt as you use it. So keeping it moist eases the pain.
@wberry where do you get all this stuff?
I also do scar massage therapy on my scar several times a day
This is so unnecessary. Scars will get good and healed all on their own without any help from us. In fact it's quite amazing how well our bodies can deal with it - all on their own! Why don't you just let yours get on with it instead of applying all these lotions and potions? :doh: Such massage is only required in exceptional circumstances, it is not required as matter of course.
 
@wberry where do you get all this stuff?
This is so unnecessary. Scars will get good and healed all on their own without any help from us. In fact it's quite amazing how well our bodies can deal with it - all on their own! Why don't you just let yours get on with it instead of applying all these lotions and potions? :doh: Such massage is only required in exceptional circumstances, it is not required as matter of course.

Surely there is no harm in helping the scars along I too massage and use bio oil and vitamin e cream to keep the scar supple



20/01/2015
 
There's no harm in doing it, if it makes you feel better, but it really isn't necessary.
 
In the case of the scar, if I don't do this, mine actually does dry and crack and hurt. So my comments are simply based on personal experiences. maybe this will help explain what I mean: broken link removed: https://www.hansaplast.com/magazine/health-and-protection/moist-wound-healing
even though it is a product promotion it gets the point across.
The massage on the scar is what has helped to lower and eventually stop the pain, I to thought I could wait it out. I couldn't sleep with the scar pain, so I found something to reduce and eventually stop it. I was responding to @SeptemberZen scar comments with what has worked for me. Trying to offer possibly helpful things that might work. If she choice to use it, is up to her. Any advice anyone gives is always personal choice. I have had a number of scars through the years from major surgeries. Again, this is based on personal experiences. So I am getting this from what i have been through.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, wberry.....it's always a good idea to phrase your comments so that it is clear your recommendations are from your personal experience. :thumb:
 
For what it's worth, I appreciate any and all suggestions!
Actually, though, my sensitive, not-so-pretty scar is rarely dried out: Unfortunately for me, my skin tends to be dry, so I use some sort of body cream or lotion every day as a matter of course.

In the past week or so, I've noticed that it's slightly less itchy and I'm guessing that it's partly because I have to go to work every day and since I work in a very casual environment, I usually wear jeans or khakis, which rub on my scar all day. Used to notice it when I was sitting at my desk; now I don't. I guess "time" + "cotton, the fabric of our lives" did the trick! :rotfl:
 
Hahahaha SZ. .I started wearing a sleeve on my knee when I have to wear pants..I either live in jeans or shorts and sometimes too cold for shorts when walking the pups. Everyone has their own tricks and treasures regarding what works for them..I take in EVERYTHING with a grain of salt..we are all adults and can make or own decisions, it's just nice to hear what other people have to say..
 
Actually, wearing something like jeans does play a positive role in desensitizing the scar, as you're finding out SZ.
 
Hi all,
The issues of scaring, creams and massage are close to my heart. I had my op in Jan 2015, then had a reaction/sensitivity to the internal stitches some of which were "spat out" I then got an wound infection. This finally cleared up but I was left with an ugly scar with bumps and troughs along it.

For me the moisturizing creams and oils definitely made my scar worse. I found i was really sensitive to bio oil, it made me itchy and when I looked at the ingredients I was shocked at the number of chemicals - so far from natural! I felt that moisturising creams were stopping the skin breathing. My scar was numb for 1 cm all around it.

Finally at 10 weeks when the scar was solidly healed I had a deep scar massage and acupuncture once a week for three weeks. This really helped the appearance of the scar - the lumps and bumps were evened out and some feeling was got back around the edges of the scar.

I think we are all so different, whether our skins is dry or not, whether we react to oils, whether our scar is made worse by infections etc. This is why we need to learn from each other and decide what sounds right for us.

No "one size fits all" best wishes to all x
 
Hahahaha SZ. .I started wearing a sleeve on my knee when I have to wear pants..I either live in jeans or shorts and sometimes too cold for shorts when walking the pups. Everyone has their own tricks and treasures regarding what works for them..I take in EVERYTHING with a grain of salt..we are all adults and can make or own decisions, it's just nice to hear what other people have to say..

I wore the sleeve also for quite awhile and still do sometimes for extra support. I stopped because even though the sleeve fit well, it showed through my clothes. I looked a little like a sausage casing - LOL! Coworkers were concerned that it was too tight (it wasn't) or kept suggesting I wear it over my pants instead of under like some of the workers do (Nope. Don't like the way that looks), so I don't wear it unless I'm particularly achy. :-)
 
Good to hear the sensitivity is improving. This is also an area where no two knees are the same. I didn't have sensitivity like you, but my 2nd knee scar was a bit sensitive longer than the first knee. but knee #2 healed more quickly overall. go figure.
 
@wberry - I tried the techniques in the video last night. I have no idea if it will improve the appearance or smoothness of my scars, but it felt really good. Thanks for posting the video.
@SeptemberZen - had to laugh at the image of wearing a sleeve over your pants! I had a nurse in the hospital that wore his scrubs tucked into his socks!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom