TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, big money lady. Wait you commute to NY every day. Just can't get the NY out of you even though you live in NJ.

Knee report posted, come look at my sexy legs, bring a barf bag.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, WB!

You know, I was just musing about all this and realized something:

I get frustrated and impatient fairly often, tired of dealing with a cane, of being woken up in the middle of the night by leg pain, and 4 weeks ago, if I stood on my feet for more than a half hour, my knee stiffened up so badly, it was like trying to bend concrete. I've never regretted the surgery, but I was scared that the stiffness would never go away. But it HAS. If I sit for a long time, there is some stiffness but not the immediate swelling and rock hard stiffness I had a month ago, and as soon as I take a couple of steps, the stiffness subsides.

At 12 weeks, I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm better than I was, and I've done very little formal PT, just normal stuff around the house. We all heal at different rates and we all have to follow our own path. It's been an interesting journey so far and so glad I found Bonesmart along the way!
 
@SeptemberZen I agree with you....what a ride. I am 5 wks out & I am fortunate because I am retired & don't have to deal with that aspect. But, boy I have learned a few things to keep in mind for when I schedule the other knee. The most frustrating is the lack of sleep. Lucky if I get 3 hrs a night. The pain bothers me more at night & I many times find myself teary-eyed trying to find a position to fall back asleep. I have some L-5, SI joint issues going on that are slowing down my progress. The swelling & stiffness are not bad at all today so I had a good day in PT. It makes me think of the first week post-op.....why do they push you to bend the knee so soon? How can you bend a fat sausage? I mean my leg felt like a brick wall. Anyway, I will be better prepared for knee #2. I admire you for your stamina to be able to commute so far to work. Are You in NJ or NY? I am originally from CT and now in Arkansas. Take care....hope you are sleeping now!
 
I WAS sleeping....but woke up a half hour ago due to knee pain. Grrrrrr....as always, sitting or standing makes the pain go away almost IMMEDIATELY. Soooo frustrating when I have to be up for work in just a couple of hours! As you said, I will be better prepared next year now that I know all this stuff (although it still grinds me that surgeons don't tell you about all of this), but the sleep issues, ay-yi-yi!

Regarding bending the knee, I COMPLETELY AGREE. It pains me deeply when members post that they allowed their PT to hurt them because they didn't know any better. I HATE this numbers game people play with ROM; I think it's dangerous and frustrating for patients. I don't understand why PTs are still in the dark ages with this....although my cynical side says that PTs push because it keeps them employed. I know that the knee and leg must be exercised but it must mean something that both Josephine and I did next to no formal PT yet our recovery has been on schedule with no setbacks.
A friend at work told me that his mother in law had the surgery but dreaded the PT so much, she bought a wheelchair and remains in it. I wanted to cry; think about that! She risked major surgery in her 80s but was afraid of physical therapy? Geez...

Not saying PT is always bad, certainly, but SO many horror stories....
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Know what you mean girl once move is done and a tad more time with work under your belt will get better.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
J fiori - I'm a native New Yorker but I've lived in NJ off and on for the past 15 years or so, also in Philadelphia for a few years. I love the city of my birth but rent is ridiculously expensive, so I work in the city but live outside of it. Even with commuting costs, it's cheaper to live outside of NY.
 
@SeptemberZen I miss some things about the East Coast & wouldn't mind moving back but could never afford it anymore. You have have a good day today!
 
Struggling a little this morning. Lack of sleep is a factor and lots of dampness. Rained all day yesterday and half the night. I'm on my way to work now but I'd sell everything I have to go back to bed. Sigh.

You have a fab day too!
 
Sitting at my desk, sore as hell today. Te sun is finally shining so the deep ache seems to have passed, but lots of soft tissue pain from too much activity yesterday. *sigh*

Hope you get a second wind, SZ.
 
Could sure use one, Pax! Woke up at around 4 am - felt like someone took a hammer to my knee. Spring rains have taken on a whole new meaning, no?
Here's to blue skies ahead. .
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Pax
Agreed, I see rain in the forecast and just hang my head. Don't know if you have an electric blanket, but I'm finding if I head back to bed and settle in to read I can drape the blanket over my legs and it makes this warm cozy environment without putting heat directly on the joint, makes the pain disappear!
 
hope you are having a good day at work SZ....It is rough when you don't get enough sleep, makes the whole day messed up...but I do believe that your body will adjust and the knee will stop complaining at night...did you not take your nighttime meds? I usually wake up at 1am to go to the bathroom and I have a med right there on the dresser, on the way to the bathroom and take it on the way back to bed..hang in there my friend!
 
Have you been using the saran wrap trick regularly. I use my wife's healing lotion with fragrance from bath and body. Also I use the body and joint pain creme during the day sometimes. Don't sweat eh ROM stuff, It will come in its own time. And just like you suddenly realized some things are better now, one day your ROM will start picking up when you don't notice it. You know what I discovered :loll:, most of my range of motion came from my body doing stretches in the middle of the night. Think about, your waking up because your knee hurts. What causes your knee to hurt at night. Is it just swelling, then why. I have woken up and found my leg bent as fare as it can go and hurting. Well I didn't put it there, so it just floated, what?? now I wake up and find my leg in the straight position and i went to bed with it partially bent. Not just straight, but straining to push down into the mattress. I am like freaking out, this is to weird. So i may be off my rocker or scrambled in the head, but I get restless at night, and I don't stop until my knee bends either as far as it can go or as strait as it can go.

Speaking of things I just kind of noticed i can do now. I lifted my leg up across my left knee to adjust my shoe tongue. Then I stopped, looked and thought what a sec, I am not supposed to be able to do this. It didn't hurt, wasn't uncomfortable like it usually is. So I put it down on the floor and lifted it up un assisted back into the position again. Incredible, amazing, yikes I am going insane.
 
WB - I never worry about ROM. Ever. It comes when it comes. :)

I wrap my leg every night without fail. The incision is still very sensitive to touch so I dont dare let the sheet or blanket touch it. Doesn't hurt when I go to bed so I don't usually bother with the pain meds. I sometimes take a Percocet if I find I can't drift back to sleep but usually I just tough it out. I'm thinking now that's a bad idea because if I am able to get back to sleep, it's not restful. I'm usually tossing, turning and waking up frequently. Hmm..thanks for helping me solve this mystery, guys! :) I don't usually put my meds at my bedside, @Spencieca , but that's a great idea!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
WB - I never worry about ROM. Ever. It comes when it comes. :)

I wrap my leg every night without fail. The incision is still very sensitive to touch do i dont dare let the sheet or blanket touch it. Doesn't hurt when I go to bed so I don't usually bother with the pain meds. I sometimes take a Percocet if I find I can't drift back to sleep but usually I just tough it out. I'm thinking now that's a bad idea because if I am able to get back to sleep, it's not restful. I'm usually tossing, turning and waking up frequently. Hmm..thanks for helping me solve this mystery, guys! :) I don't usually put my meds at my bedside, @Spencieca , but that's a great idea!


I tried no meds and all that happens is tossing and turning then when I eventually take them early morning I just go into deep sleep


20/01/2015
 
I have gotten to just a tramodol at night. Take your meds, trust me, you need them. I am still icing and elevating before bed. Maybe my knee flexing at night is just a fluke, but it happens to me. I wish I could figure out why your incision still hurts. I started running mine cross wise not to long after the staples cam out. Now it's pretty flat and pain free. Wonder if you still have some scar tissue build up. Have you asked the OS about it? I am still using the recumbents regularly, they help with my stamina and endurance. Wonder if swimming or may some cardio machines would help. What do you think?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
if you can get into a pool WB I would TOTALLY recommend it! the weightlessness of the water and the ease of the movement is wonderful! Im very fortunate that my gym has a pool and I have access to 2 pool a couple of blocks aways from my house.....I will be there ALOT this year!
 
My scar has started to keloid somewhat.
Pretty common in black people but I've never had that issue before with any other incision. On the other hand, I've never had my leg professionally mangled before either. :-/ I've been massaging it a little when I get home, but can't tell if it's making any difference.
I don't swim but it feels great when I soak in an epsom salts bath. No pain or itch at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom