TKR SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
SZ I hope that when you read this it is morning.. or at least some time tomorrow. Had to chuckle at Nigel's comment re you streaking thru.... I saw an interesting docco here last night about prescription narcotic epidemic in the US - Percocet was the main one mentioned. Its scary what people will do with this stuff....chop it up and snort it; dissolve it and inject - totally YUKKY. The focus was Staten Island where the problem is mega. Gave me some insight as to why Drs in US are tight with giving Rx for these - there is some DEA computer form thingie they need to complete for each script written - makes them so much more accountable. Anyhow it was interesting - you could watch it on line at
https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/422379075853/dateline-14-april-2015?od=suggested&term=dateline
 
Homeport, yesterday someone at work asked if I was glad to be back and my answer was similar: looking forward to it and dreading it!

There's only so much TV and so many movies I can watch! LOL! I like "good TV", meaning smart, well-acted dramas (The Walking Dead, Downton Abbey!), really funny comedies, intelligent documentaries, etc. I have a few guilty pleasures - I'm not total snobby about my TV choices-- but endless game shows, reality shows, soap operas, nope! Doesn't work for me, so I needed the stimulation of work and reconnecting with work friends. But it's tough!

This whole process has really shown ALL of us what we're made of, hasn't it? :ok:
It ha indeed and you are so right In end your life revolves around TV I am a writer but both writing and reading have bee difficult to to get back into


20/01/2015
 
Homeport - i know what you mean. My daughter works for a publishing house. When she knew I'd be laid up for a few months, she sent me a list of books and told me to pick out what I wanted. She sent me boxes and boxes of paperbacks. How many did I read during the 11 weeks I was home? ZERO.
Just could not get into any of them during my recovery because I was either in pain, had no appetite, or was hungry but had an upset stomach, frustrated, depressed, blah, blah, blah. You cannot enjoy reading a good book if your mind is not at peace.

Maggie - When my OS refused to refill my Percocet prescription a second time, I went online and did some research as well. I'm the kind of person who won't even take an aspirin unless I'm really uncomfortable so I didn't know much about the world of prescription drug abuse. I understand all too well the world of hard street drugs like heroin and crack but had little knowledge of the situation with oxycodone, hydrocodone, and all the other stuff. I've heard of celebrities getting hooked on prescription drugs but honestly I can't fathom snorting them and paying hundreds of dollars for pills, etc.
 
I was the complete opposite with regard to books, we don't have cable and my internet is a 4G ipad so my entertainment choices were limited. I checked out stacks of books from work and in the first six weeks read about 40 books, it was awesome! I get totally lost in a book, it really helped keep my mind off my leg.
 
That's great, Pax! I'm a creative artsy-craftsy person: I write, sew and make jewelry that I sell online. But I found that I could not truly enjoy any of it during this ordeal.
 
Very cool, Zen, I really wish I could sew! I'm not crafty at all but really enjoy the fruits of others labors.
 
I completely understand not getting things done during recovery. I live to knit and always long to have time off so I can knit all day but since my surgery I have hardly knit at all and it frustrates me! I did manage to finish the 4th Game of Thrones book and started the fifth so at least I accomplished something. I swear it's all the medication we've been on that wrecks our attention span. I am dreading work on Monday mainly because I will have to wake up at 5:30AM.
Hope your workday today is going well.


Brenda
 
I do audio books. I have found I can listen to books I have had problems reading. The readers area really good for the most part. Some use multiple readers others are able to change their voice for different characters. I just have an audible account. The great thing is if I get a book and I hate it, they let you return it and give you back your credit. There's nothing you have to wait for in the mail. You just download into
iTunes.

On the pain meds. Last three days I have only taken pain meds twice. At bed time I take a tramadol and during day before PT I would take a naproxin.

The wrap at night is also making my scar even out, and easier to massage.

Did you consider the ice at work idea at all?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I use libra vox app audio books and free

Legin THR Sep 14
 
And for you artsy folks, I shoot


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
[Bonesmart.org] SeptemberZen's Bionic Journey



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I completely understand not getting things done during recovery. I live to knit and always long to have time off so I can knit all day but since my surgery I have hardly knit at all and it frustrates me! I did manage to finish the 4th Game of Thrones book and started the fifth so at least I accomplished something. I swear it's all the medication we've been on that wrecks our attention span. I am dreading work on Monday mainly because I will have to wake up at 5:30AM.
Hope your workday today is going well.


Brenda

Completely agree! And waking up early is the worst part of going back to work for me as well. Since my commute is so long, I have to get up super-early
Hate it...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SZ,
Just getting caught up on your thread. I haven't been getting alerts lately.
Congrats on returning to work! Know that it will get easier as your stamina increases.
As someone told me, life is your PT now and they were right!
Best of luck,
Karen
 
Good job SZ on getting back to sleep...Very proud of you for making the best out of a not so great situation, aka the knee...Im the same type of person who always tells other not thank you or I got this, or not a problem, I can do it....but we have to let others help when help is needed...I have to remember that it not only helps me out, it also makes them feel good about being able to help someone else, its a 2 way street...Keep up the good work!
 
Thanks, @Spencieca!
@kaw205 - Sooooo right! It's a little tough. ..but I'm doing it!
WB - haven't done audio books in years but what a great idea. Maybe I'll try them again. Haven't really felt the need to ice at work so far. I wear my compression sleeves so I haven't experienced much swelling, just a little occasional achiness.
 
Don't forget to elevate and ice after you get home -- including the back of the knee. You're doing great. Accept a few offers for assistance these first few weeks. Especially if it's just a fetch or delivery run.
 
I went to a couple places and only one had the tommy sleeves and non in my size.. Well that's a good sign if you haven't needed ice. Things should get better at work. At least your good and tired and ready for bed.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom