Guest viewing is limited

THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

[Bonesmart.org] September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left
My first genuinely Good Day. Went out with Dan and Louie for a walk along the river bank in the late summer sunshine (in clean, if not very stylish clothes). Then home for icing and a lovely long nap. Woke 20 minutes ago and have just been lying here, smiling, delaying getting up - because for the first time in ages I feel completely pain free. My hip is completely extended, no hip flexor pain, no aching femur…. I know that as soon as I get up I will be back to feeling fragile, but in this particular moment I feel great.

Gonna start a revolution from my bed….
 
@Tuppence71 Wow, what a gorgeous picture of you and your dear dog! The clothing looks very appropriate for activity and weather, in my opinion! Enjoy your outings .... and don't worry about what you're wearing. The moments of feeling strong and fully back to a new, pain-free normal will continue to increase :yes!:
 
I'm thrilled for you, so very pleased after your challenging early days :flwrysmile: You look great! Love your gorgeous pup too! Well done!
 
Yes, I am looking forward to the day I can feel strong when up and about. But for now, I’ll happily settle for pain-free interludes in bed.
 
Wow, look at you and pup out in the fresh air enjoying a walk together. Fantastic!
Hard to believe it's only been a week since your THR, you're clearly on the right track.
@Tuppence71
 
Recovery day 10

(I just spent a moment adding up the days in my head, before remembering that as I had my surgery on the 1st of the month, I just need to know the date to know how many days in I am. Brain clearly not firing on all cylinders yet).

Things are progressing slowly. I’ve made the transition to one stick, and can now go down the stairs (not up) with a normal gait. Full weight bearing on my surgical hip still feels a way off though. Still, heading in the right direction, and I am getting a bit stronger every day.

I had a bit of a surprise yesterday. I had asked the hospital for access to my records (my complete medical history somehow got lost during a transition between GPs recently, so I now submit Subject Access Requests on a regular basis to make sure I have my own copies of everything).

Yesterday I got the link to my post surgical x-rays. I didn’t have much time with my surgeon before the operation, and never got the chance to discuss things like the hardware he would be using - but I had thought that it would be the same as the prosthetic on my left, especially as that has been so very successful. So I was surprised to see on the x-ray that it looks very different. Whereas the implant on my left is rather elegant and minimalist, my new right hip looks much bulkier and more robust. I have one hip befitting a ballerina, and the other for a paratrooper. I’m intrigued to know what goes into the decision-making process, as I had just assumed (based on no surgical or anatomical knowledge whatsoever) that a matching pair would be best….
 
Last edited:
First let me say you look fabulous in your pic with your handsome beagle.
No clue what goes into decision making of what hardware to install. But I’m sure someone here will jump in and have an answer. You must have a post op appointment at some point with your surgeon so I’d definitely put that on my list of questions when you see him.
 
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well, so pleased for you! The hardware depends on all manner of things and it's my limited understanding that it isn't unusual to have different components on each side. I believe the plan was for me to have a different sort on my latest hip. I'm waiting until my 6 week to get more info... I'm not looking for an exchange any time soon, I'll keep it :heehee:
 
Did you have the same surgeon for both hips? That alone can make a difference in the selected prosthetic because surgeons tend to stick with the components they are trained in when they begin their careers. Each manufacturer has a variety of component designs to select from. The surgeon is sometimes accompanied by a company rep in the surgical theater to help select just the right hip for the patient. The end result is usually just the same and patients cannot tell a difference between the various implants. No one ever worries about a “matching set” as the goal is to pick the best size and type of implant for each hip.
 
@Jamie - no, a different surgeon, because we have moved since my first op. First time around I got to see and handle all the different components he was going to use before the surgery (presumably not the exact parts!), so I suppose I had that picture in my head. That’s all really useful, thank you. I did not know that about the company reps….

I’m a bit nervous about everything being uncemented this time - I hope my bones are up to the task of growing around the prosthetic, given that I’m post menopausal and with a chronic vitamin D deficiency. But I’m sure the surgeon knew what he was doing. And as @Deni444 said - I don’t feel inclined to go back and ask for a switch-up.
 
You should be just fine. Uncemented hips are the norm and your surgeon had a first-hand view of your bone quality when he was preparing for surgery. No switch-up should be needed…..:heehee:
 
your surgeon had a first-hand view of your bone quality when he was preparing for surgery. N
This made me feel really proud I am picturing the surgeon looking at my femur, then turning to the anaesthetist and saying ‘This bone is in great shape! Let’s go with the uncemented!’ Mainly because the surgeon did cemented on my left because the femur wasn’t in great shape. So hooray for my right thigh bone!

You take what you can, right?
 
Ah, last night - #10 - I was finally able to lie on my side, sling my leg across my full-body pillow, and SLEEP! If it wasn’t a one off, and instead marks a return to actually sleeping through the night (or most of it), I am going to start feeling properly human again soon.

Add to that getting my dressing removed on Monday, and being able to shower - things are looking up.

I’m now down to just taking pain relief at bedtime, and not needing it during the day (although if I do get uncomfortable I am keeping it easily to hand). Just using one stick to get about, though I do tire easily, and am putting more weight through the arm as we get into the late afternoon.

If last Monday (op day) was me standing at the foot of the mountain looking up, I think I am now just approaching Base Camp. Time to take stock and prepare for the next stage of my ascent. I could do with more Sherpas to carry stuff around for me though - it would be much easier than going everywhere with an M&S ‘bag for life’ slung around my neck, holding my phone, iPad, book, ice pack, water bottle etc….
 
Dancing for joy! That sleep fairy was busy lady last night :loveshwr::happyfeet:
 
Your reference to cemented versus uncemented is a page or two back and a week ago, but I thought I would add a perspective as someone with 2 uncemented hips. I don’t think the insertion process is any different but the implant is likely to be a little longer. They are “press fitted” into the bone and the implant’s stem is covered with something to help the bone grow quickly around it. I had no bruising and I don’t think it makes a huge difference to recovery times as the soft tissue healing is just the same and probably always the gating factor. Some surgeons ask you not to fully load bear initially, but neither of my surgeons seemed concerned by that. You are going to be using crutches for long enough anyway because of the soft tissues. Overall mine felt stable from day one and pan free. Theoretically your uncemented hip should get stronger and stronger over time.
 
And that river valley looks gorgeous. Are you in Sheffield by any chance? I know several places that look like that.
 
Sounds like you are making great progress, Tuppence! Good to read you were able to sleep last night and you're reducing meds.
Wishing you a nice weekend and best wishes for your appt on Monday...and hopefully your first post op shower. The Best!
@Tuppence71
 
And that river valley looks gorgeous. Are you in Sheffield by any chance? I know several places that look like that.
Not Sheffield, but not a million miles away. We’re in Ilkley - so the river in the pic is the Wharfe. We live on the edge of the moor, with the river just below us. I’m very lucky having such lovely places in which to walk - these guys came out to keep me company today. They thought I was a bit slow, though…,
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left
    f7a3da24-b0e2-4f5b-8eed-59279ba33b1e.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 27

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom