Guest viewing is limited

THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

particularly useful during the night when maybe pain takes more of a hold as we become sleep deprived
Yes, I was thinking that tonight I would take a booster dose of codeine before bed.

And I am at the point where this does all feel temporary. I am already in substantially better shape than I was just a few days ago, and am getting into the phase I remember where every day I’m aware of being a little bit stronger than the last.

Of course, this puts me at very high risk of spending some time in the Overdoing It Club lounge. I imagine there is a seat in there either my name in it, as I was a frequent flyer back in 2022.

I’m counting down the days (8!) until I can get this dressing off, too. Now THAT is going to feel so damn good.
 
I don't want to tempt faith but I see that chair in my minds eye :rotfl:

So glad it is all coming together! Good days, bad days but bit by bit often without us realising we take such a great leap forward that even a bad day doesn't ruin the show for long.
 
Of course, this puts me at very high risk of spending some time in the Overdoing It Club lounge. I imagine there is a seat in there either my name in it, as I was a frequent flyer back in 2022.
:heehee:
Nuh-uh...I heard you're banned for life. You can't go back. :wink:
Have a lovely day behaving yourself, lol.
 
Seven days ago I was packing my hospital bag, setting my 5am alarm and giving myself bracing pep-talks. And now here I am, reflecting on the ups and downs of my first week with my new right hip.

My week 1 report:

After a rocky start, my leg is so much stronger already. I’m getting about very easily on two sticks, and will probably drop down to one in a day or so. Stairs are no problem - I’m sticking to one step at a time for the moment but dare to dream that I’ll be able to progress from that before too long, too.

The surgeon obviously added quite a lot of length to my right leg, which feels very strange. Before the op it was noticeably shorter than my left, and I was quite asymmetrical, with a pronounced limp. It now feels quite freakishly long, but I guess my body just needs a bit of time to adjust. Given that my left leg was lengthened in 2022, and my right should now presumably match, I wonder if I am going to be taller? That would be a very exciting development at 53 years old. You don’t expect to grow once you get past puberty…

Not sleeping great at night, but really enjoying my daytime naps, of which I have been taking many. I don’t know why I stopped napping after my last recovery. It’s great just letting yourself nod off whenever you feel like it.

I’m eating much better - in every sense. Some days, I have even managed not to spill any food or drink down myself at all. (When I say ‘some days’ I mean ‘at least one day’. Or exactly one day. And it wasn’t today.) in my defence, I am very tired.

My bladder is finally performing just as a bladder should. And there have been other cheering developments in that general department; I’ll be a little coy about the details, but let us just say I am feeling considerably lighter in body and in spirit than I was a couple of days ago.

I think what makes me happiest is that the post op brain fog seems to have finally lifted, and I’m able to concentrate enough to read, rather than just playing endless games of sudoku and wordle. Now I can use my recovery time productively (reading and napping).

All in all, I am very glad to be at the end of this week. I’m sure there will be bad days to come, but hopefully the general trend now will be upwards.

So welcome to my body, Right Hip! It is good to have you on board. Once you’ve settled in, we are going to have fantastic adventures together….
 
It sounds like you have this under control. With what you’ve said, I agree that your hip pain when trying to sleep on your side just means that your body isn’t healed enough for that. It will come. Hang in there and keep trying to avoid that ODIC lounge chair.
 
Sounds like you are doing well for just one week out, @Tuppence71! You're fortunate that the post-op brain fog lifted so quickly; I couldn't concentrate to read a book for weeks.

Just love your thought about being taller thanks to the leg lengthening -- I didn't work for me, but I wish you success! :wink:

A word of caution about giving up the second crutch: I made the mistake of switching from the walker to a cane at just under two weeks. My physical therapist said I was strong enough and encouraged me to try. Two days later, I lost my balance and torqued my hip enough that I ended up with severe muscle strain in the operated leg. (Thankfully, I didn't dislocate the hip!) I ended up needing the walker for two more weeks until the strain resolved.

Slow and steady is the best approach to this recovery.
 
Just love your thought about being taller thanks to the leg lengthening -- I didn't work for me, but I wish you success! :wink:
If they have boosted me up to 5 foot 9 I could finally have my dream career as a runway model. Look out for me on the catwalks of Paris, New York and London next season. Unless I decide to stay home and just read/nap.
 
A word of caution about giving up the second crutch
I won’t do it until it feels redundant - last time there came a point where the second stick was getting in the way rather than helping, because I was just wafting it about rather than using it. I just naturally stopped touching it to the ground as my body didn’t feel the need. So I will wait to get that signal…. I think I’ll know.
 
@Tuppence71 It's so great to hear that you got that first week whipped into shape (not the other way around Lol.)
I'm sure you had your doubts that first couple of days. Of course, there may be set backs, especially in these first few weeks. but I agree they shouldn't be totally upending. Just keep that mantra going: slow and steady. It is really such a relatively small amount of time in the scheme of things to let your body heal properly. You've got a pretty good handle on this especially with your experience. Blessings for continued good healing.
 
Just catching up on your recovery! :wowspring:What a great recovery post. I love hearing the details and being able to celebrate a recovery take off. Onwards and upwards! Made me laugh about the food. My hubby has offered to purchase me a 'pelican bib'... if anyone remembers, blown plastic toddler bibs with a catch all lip at its base... Just checked to see if they are still a thing. We're in luck @Tuppence71 remarkably available for adults. I may just get one :snork:
 
Yes Deni they still make those bibs. My partners Mom has one! She’s 88 & can’t really manage fork & spoon any longer so they feed her & the bib catches anything that falls. She can hand feed herself like fries or finger food.
But great update Tuppence for one week into recovery.!
I had one leg a little shorter & it evened out so I’m sure yours will as well. Plus keep that great sense of humor! Our mental state is half the battle during recovery.
 
I'm laughing but... Honestly, I hear you. I really did buy puppy pads for the bathroom floor following my #1 hip experiences. I very seriously considered the adult nappy... settled for a She Wee and practiced prior to surgery. Thankfully, not needed this time around. As for the food, I was still dropping it down myself just prior to this surgery following my first hip!!!

I'm wondering just how many of our lovely fellow hippies have been holding out on us regarding certain experiences? Maybe it's all more common than discussed. Alternatively, we're very, very unique! :flabber:
 
First day of week two. Bad night, so woke up (or rather, remained awake) in a filthy mood. But after some serious power napping through the morning I felt bright enough to head out on the evening walk with Dan (husband) and Louie (beagle). We didn’t go far, and we were very slow but it felt SO good to be outside. Unfortunately, Louie was so excited to see me outside the house/garden for the first time in over a week that he barked like a maniac the entire time, setting off all the dogs in the houses we passed. Our neighbours love us, I’m sure.

It was only after I got back that I took a look at what I was wearing and realised I looked as if I had just fallen into a bag of not very clean laundry and gone out in whatever stuck.

Still, a small sign of progress. I’m now lying down with an icepack, enjoying a great sense of achievement.
 
@Tuppence71 Awww the neighborhood chorus was welcoming you back to dog walking :) And as for your "attire" .... been there done that! I lived in pajama pants and sweatshirts for months after my hip replacements. And finding "real" clothes to wear when I had to go to an appointment was a challenge as doing laundry was way too much for me to do for many weeks after the surgery.

It is good you were able to get out of the house and have a brief but fun stroll :walking:
 
I lived in pajama pants and sweatshirts for months after my hip replacements.
I did actually buy some new, very luxurious ‘soft wear’ in advance of this op, as I thought I could lounge around with some style in palazzo pants and headscarves (like a character in an Agatha Christie novel). But that all seems like too much hard work, so I have been slumming it in sweatpants and grubby t-shirts. Maybe I will make more of an effort in week 3….
 
I'm glad this isn't video chat... You should see my outfit! A nice moisturizer is my go to. A quicker fix than an outfit. What works is always best. Your recovery, your rules :)
 
Getting outdoors in the fresh air for a walk with the family on your one week anniversary is a wonderful achievement.
Cheers to many more, Tuppence!
@Tuppence71
 
Great outing with husband and dog. Gotta love beagles they let you know they are coming that’s for sure. My neighbor has two & they are quite adorable.
I lived in joggers & sweatpants. I recovered in winter so no need to look stylish!
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom