Guest viewing is limited

THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

I now have the world’s best excuse to spend all day, every day, lying about with my cats!
Yes! (Not that any of need as excuse to spend the day cuddling with our pets :wink: ).

Your routine today sounds like a really good one to stick with for the next week or so. My surgeon tells all his patients, "your only job the first two weeks is to rest and recover."
 
So nice to read you had a better day on Wednesday. Since you're in the UK and it's sleepy time now, I hope you're able to report tomorrow that you had a peaceful night of restorative rest. :fingersx: Not needing the raised toilet seat is something to be cheerful about. Realizing progress brightens our day!
Wishing you a relaxing Thursday with your furry friends, Tuppence. :meow:
@Tuppence71
 
What a great day 3! Sounds to me like you have a good balance going on with little walks and plenty of cat snuggle time. For those of us who love cats, there is nothing quite like that serene, calm and cozy vibe they send out. :yellowcat: 'Be more cat:... I'm thinking that's a great recovery motto! They know how to take it easy in style.

Here's hoping Day 4 is a super day!
 
What a difference a day makes! I’ve woken up this morning and it is as if the sun has come out. (I’m in Yorkshire, in September - outside it’s grey and drizzly ). Pain under control, bladder resuming normal service, moving much more easily. I slept not perfectly but well enough - I’m not a natural back-sleeper so get a bit achey after a while. I’ve got up, made coffee and come back to bed with my icepack. I shall watch Eastenders in bed while doing my ankle pumps - how decadent is that?
 
Good morning! Great to hear you had a good night and enjoying such a lovely start to the day. Something I struggle to remember is that how I feel one day very often has a direct relationship to what I did the day before. I'm saying this because instead of thinking, I'll try to copy yesterday, I tend to do a lot more based on feeling great... (Boom and Bust) Often, I then suffer a poorer next day. If you are tempted to be a bit more active, try and limit it to only a bit more active until you get a next day thumbs up. We're all different but boom and bust is my personal nemesis!

Have a lovely day :ok:
 
Morning Tuppence, so pleased you're feeling brighter today.
Take care and enjoy your pets...x
 
Thanks @Deni444 - that’s a good reminder. I plan to sticking to mostly lounging about today again - it’s obviously what my body is crying out for right now. Plus, despite having slept better, now that I am up and installed on the sofa I could very easily drop off again. So I am clearly still needing rest more than rehab!
 
Sounds like a good plan! How's your appetite? Mine was terrible with hip #1 but the right side is obviously my greedy side. I'm looking at my plate longingly after I finish... Oh boy... I can feel a post recovery diet coming... Again :heehee:
 
Yeah, appetite is an issue for me. I’ve always tended to respond to any type of stress/anxiety/illness by going off my food, and I’m acting true to form now (it was the same last time). I barely ate anything in hospital, and since getting home the only thing I really want to eat is porridge - yesterday I had a bowl of oats in the morning and one before bed, along with some yoghurt and fruit in the afternoon. And I have had another bowl of porridge today. So I am just eating multiple breakfasts ‍

It could be worse - at least oats are fairly healthy and nutritious. But I need to start easing my way back in to a normal diet. I just feel vaguely nauseous still, which I assume is the codeine….
 
Sorry about your appetite! Porridge is good and if you could go for Greek Yoghurt, I think it's higher in protein. Add a bit of fruit and or nuts and you are getting some good stuff there. I found eating something a must when taking Codeine with #1 hip when my appetite was like yours in the first week. You're doing better than me, I ended up eating either a packet of crisps or a sugary breakfast bar. I made flapjacks ahead of time for #2 but I'm fine this time but also not on Codeine. Eating when you take them does help a bit.

I found my appetite did improve week two with hip #1. Hang on in there, all temporary :loveshwr:
 
Last edited:
Good Afternoon Tuppence,
It is encouraging to read that you slept well, pain is under control and you're moving with more ease. The urge to sleep is real as your body uses energy for healing first, not leaving much for other activity. Natures way of keeping us from doing too much...as long as we listen. :wink:

Loss of appetite is a common one, might not be easy right now but even a few bites of protein can help your body heal and give you strength. If you're not up for big meals, you might try frequent snacks, especially of the high protein variety like - Greek Yogurt, Peanut Butter & and Apple, Edamame, Hummus and Veggies, Cottage Cheese, Cheese Slices, Protein Shakes or Smoothies, Nuts or Trail Mix, Hard Boiled Eggs, Chicken or Tuna Salad, Egg Salad, Turkey or Chicken Roll-Ups, Canned Tuna or Salmon, No Bake Energy Bites...to give you a few ideas.

Wishing you a gentle day of healing. One step at a time, and remember that even the smallest things you are doing for yourself are helping your recovery. :)
@Tuppence71
 
Well, I’ve managed some cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt on top of my porridge (not literally) and will aim for something a bit more substantial tomorrow. Reflections at the end of day 4 - whoever said that no two recoveries are the same was a very wise person indeed. New Rightie feels a lot more mobile than Leftie did at the start - getting in and out of chairs is much easier, and although in and out of bed is still an inelegant struggle, it’s nowhere near as hard as last time around. That said, Rightie also feels less strong - I’m leaning more heavily on my sticks than I ever did back in 2022, and getting tired very quickly.

I guess there is nothing to be done but take it one day at a time…. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.

Thanks to everybody for your support today.
 
Last edited:
Glad to read that you are getting some protein, @Tuppence71. The more, the better for recovery. Our bodies need the amino acids that come from protein to heal.

In addition to cottage cheese and yogurt, I ate a lot of nut butter on crackers. I also found it really helpful to add protein powder to broth and my hot coffee/tea.

You are very early days and the fatigue is normal. Once you are able to amp up your protein consumption, your strength will gradually begin to return.
 
Reflections at the end of day 4 - whoever said that no two recoveries are the same was a very wise person indeed.
:heehee: That would be BoneSmart that made this statement. I'm glad you are reinforcing the guidance we give to people with your experience.

I think you're doing just fine so far. This is a time to just go slowly and allow your body to do it's job with healing. I found protein drinks like Boost, Ensure, or Glucerna to be a tasty way to give myself a protein boost.
 
Glad you managed to super charge your porridge! I think those drinks Jamie mentioned are a good idea. They gave me something similar during my short stay in the recover ward in hospital. I'm a fan of a half and half... Something a bit naughty with a side of healthy. A particular favourite of mine is a loaded Ritz cracker. Like, two crackers imitating an Oreo... Endless combo's and easy to eat because they're little.

I'm noticing exactly the same with my two hips! Righty is a bit of a wimp compared to Lefty and needs a lot more support from the crutches. Not surprising that it's more tiring when you consider the arms and upper body are getting a real workout. My shoulders are aching with the extra work, despite the fact that I've been mostly on crutches now for over five months. It's like coming out of hospital and hitting the gym!

Here's for a great tomorrow... Your doing great!
 
Sounds like you're doing well overall at this early date, Tuppence. Lots of positives with Righty vs Lefty. Your appetite will gradually come back, just concentrate on protein rich snacks, if you're able, and stay adequately hydrated and you should be okay until your normal appetite returns. Have a great Friday and weekend!
@Tuppence71
 
The early days aren’t most difficult & I’m sure it’s common to compare your recoveries 1st hip vs 2nd.
My early days home were bathroom trips, make a pot of coffee, enjoy coffee then back to bed & ice. Then couple hours later get up & walk around a bit. I developed a walking plan to go around my dining table 5x’s in one direction then switch directions. I slowly increased the amount of turns around dining until I think I made it up to 10!
Lots of icing & lying down. Sitting for any length of time was just too uncomfortable.
It seemed like eternity before I could get a good walk in. But I did & you will too.
Along with the painkillers they should prescribe a patience pill!
 
Question: when you are lying down and resting, are you also elevating your legs?

I am spending quite a lot of time lying down at the moment, partly sitting makes me quite stiff and it’s hard to get moving afterwards, but mainly because I’m incredibly tired and not sleeping brilliantly at night. So if I’m lying down, it’s easy for me to take off and snatch bits of sleep here and there. I’m still getting up and moving around every hour or so, but if I’m not standing, I’m prone. While I am icing, I have my legs elevated, and it is tempting to just keep them that way as it is more comfortable than lying flat, as my hip flexors are very stiff and sore. But if I constantly raise my legs, I’m not giving that muscle a chance to stretch out? Do I need to force myself flat, or will the muscle release anyway in its own time?
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom