Guest viewing is limited

THR September 1 2025: a new right hip to match my left

So here we are. Bedtime, two weeks on from my second THR, and I’m feeling pretty darn pleased with myself.

Tomorrow I go back to the hospital to get my dressing removed. After making great progress over the last couple of days, I’ll be walking in without any sticks (although as I’m not ready to hand them back yet as I still use one for emotional support when out and about). Today’s walk with Dan and Louie was over 5km, and with that plus the miscellaneous other things I’ve been doing I’ve racked up close to 13,000 steps. And for pain relief I’m now down to just paracetamol, as required (I’m still icing, as often as possible).

Obviously, I’m a long way from healed, and have a lot of work to do to strengthen and mobilise this new hip. This morning, after a frankly superhuman effort, I managed to get a sock onto my right foot, but unfortunately it was upside down, with the heel at my ankle, and it was entirely beyond my capability to get it turned over. I know Dan is looking forward to being relieved of all duties associated with with my feet, but for now his services are still required!

But all in all, I’m pleased with where I am tonight.
 
What a great report!!! Bravo!
 
Congratulations @Tuppence71 :happydance:This is so encouraging! A welcome reminder of just how remarkable recovery can be. I truly hope your update will be a comfort to anyone suffering through those early days... The sun most certainly does come out to play, when our hips are ready!

Not to be a party pooper, but... Try and avoid a trip to the ODIC lounge. There's a dusty trophy awaiting the first BoneSmartie who manages to avoid it :bicycle2:
 
All sounds fantastic. Take it slow & all will go back in place!
Let us know how doctor appt goes.
 
But all in all, I’m pleased with where I am tonight
Rightly so! You're doing great. Best wishes for the big reveal today. I hope all goes well...I'm sure it will.
 
Dressing removal all went smoothly. The leg is still very swollen, but the incision is a very neat, thin (longer than expected) line. Oddly, there is absolutely no bruising - compared to last time, when I was absolutely black and blue (and purple, and yellow, and green…). I wonder if the bruising will come later, when the swelling goes down a bit (still very stiff and swollen).

Definitely at the stage of recovery when I still want to lie down a lot with my ice pack, but everybody else has decided that I look fine and they don’t want to treat my like an invalid any more. But it does feel good to be able to start pulling my weight around the house again…
 
Wonderful news about the wound! Do take care @Tuppence71 as I had a couple of pretty awful examples of overdoing it with hip#1 just when I thought I was home and dry. I thought I wouldn't get more than a bit more swelling/pain if I did a little more. On one occasion, I actually thought I'd done some serious damage, the onset of pain and swelling was so great. That was after doubling my laps around the garden suddenly. It hit me like a ton of bricks the next day. It took about 3 days to settle. I had to take strong opioid medication again after weeks of being off it. It took a couple of weeks to build back up again.

Hopefully, you are far more sensible than me... But don't be driven by other people's expectations :flwrysmile:
 
Good advice from Deni here. Just because others think you are all better, you aren’t!
Enjoy your ice packs and relaxation.
 
Glad it all went well for you, Tuppence.
I wonder if the bruising will come later, when the swelling goes down a bit (still very stiff and swollen).
My experience was faded bruising showing up 17 days post op, which initially frightened me a little because I didn't have any visible bruising to speak of. At the time I didn't realize that it was the normal process of the bruise resolving and sometimes it can take from days to weeks to surface. So, some bruising may still appear for you, then again, maybe not.

I hope you take those breaks to rest / ice when you're feeling the urge and slowly ease back into your normal routine at home, but since this isn't your first rodeo you have the experience and knowledge of recovery already.
Have a great day! :SUNsmile:
 
Three and a half weeks in, and all is going well. In fact, so long as I keep moving I feel almost back to normal - still restricted range of motion, and there is clearly still some healing to do, but as long as I am in motion - walking, Pilates, cycling, I feel great.

Unfortunately, it simply isn’t possible for me to be in motion all of the time, and as soon as I sit or lie down for more than a few moments, everything seizes up. In the evenings, when we are relaxing, reading, watching TV, eating dinner, I get progressively stiffer, and after a night in bed I am very uncomfortable.

I’m wondering whether to invest in some heat pads and use those instead of my ice pack - maybe I now need to be helping my muscles to relax rather than focusing on inflammation so much? I have plenty of ‘Deep Heat Extreme’ left over from my pre-op days’, but that stuff was brutal - it didn’t so much stop my joint from hurting as make my skin burn so much it provided a distraction from the arthritis pain…
 
Are you sure you aren't doing too much? It does sound like the classic inflammation I often experience as a result of a busy day. Alternatively, are you getting enough fluid? I remember posting about stiffness and aches and there was a discussion about electrolyte drinks. I was very surprised at the difference they made. I believe they help the body better utilise the fluid we take in. They certainly made a huge difference, particularly drinking after activities. I made my own, just lemon juice, honey and a pinch of salt but you can buy all sorts. I think magnesium has also been mentioned.

Our body and systems go through quite a lot during surgery and subsequent recovery. It's not surprising that things get a bit out of whack. Heat is a great help, I find. I do suffer terribly when the weather changes in autumn and last night for example, everything hurts as the cold seeped in from a window I was sat next to. I can actually head off stiffness by wearing thermal layers or getting a blanket over my legs. Even the Aircon in a car can set off stiffness for me.
 
I can actually head off stiffness by wearing thermal layers or getting a blanket over my legs.
I dug out my beloved M&S thermal fleece leggings yesterday, and I was more comfortable in the evening than I had been for a few days. They are functional as well as extremely glamorous! (God knows what I’ll be wearing by January if I am in my thermals just a few days into the autumn.)

The electrolytes are a good idea. And you mentioning magnesium triggered a memory from last time around.

You might be right that I am possibly doing too much. It’s hard to judge when I can only really tell *after* doing something that I have pushed too hard - because I have moments when I feel completely fine. Yesterday I decided to walk to the shops to get in groceries for dinner: the lovely walk through the woods into town was not a problem at all, but the short stroll to the cafe where I planned to wait for my Uber back - while carrying shopping bags - really wiped me out. I need to keep reminding myself that I am doing well, but am still a long way from mended…..
 
Twenty Five days post op is still really early into the healing process. It is amazing that you're already walking, doing Pilates and cycling, but your body is likely telling you "too much, too soon". Movement can mask pain and stiffness and once you stop tissues tighten and that's when the stiffness and discomfort comes into play. Your body is still healing and adapting to the prosthetic, and will be for months. It's great to be active, but pacing yourself and balancing activity will give your hip the best chance to settle and improve without so much pain. Patience at this stage will pay off in the long run. Take it slow and steady for a smoother recovery. :walking:
@Tuppence71
 
I'm really glad you found the fleece leggings worked. Coincidentally, I have my M&S fleece leggings on today... Love them! I'm giggling at your comment about what you'll be wearing in January because I will be taking it up a notch. I have some serious, thermal, fleece lined outdoor hiking trousers that work beautifully. I'll wear those if it gets really cold but actually, I find good old fashioned woolly tights with a long skirt a pretty good way to keep the aches of cold weather at bay. We're now lighting the log burner and that lovely bone warming heat helps too.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you're having a good week. :SUNsmile:
@Tuppence71
 
I'm going to jump in here and comment. I am shocked by how much activity you are doing so early in the recovery stages. I know we all heal differently but it really does sound like too much too soon. All those muscles/tissue/fat were cut into and moved around and the bone was cut and the nerves were moved and whatever else goes on in there when they are doing surgery. The body is in shock. There are layers of stitches inside too. Not just on the outside skin. It takes more than a few weeks to recover from this. It's major surgery. There is a foreign object in your body. Rest, Ice, Elevate. Don't overdo it for at least 6 months. That's what my surgeon said but he errs on the side of caution and is very conservative. I'll be on precautions for 6-12 months just like last time. @Tuppence71
 
Last edited:
@Tuppence I’m stunned by what you’re doing… pleased for you but a little concerned too.
I know I had knees done, and both together and I know I’ve done well, but still not doing some of what you are. I’m slowly progressing and as I type this the zingers are busy tonight.
Please take care.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom