TKR Second Knee Replacement Done

A toothpull is easier than having one filled. I'm experienced with that! You will be fine. I was more sore from the shots than the extraction.
 
I had the tooth pulled, all is fine. I do not like the pain, though. It’s actually not too bad but it’s constant.

For the record, my OS does not require antibiotics, nor did I have to wait for any length of time post TKR.
 
Hopefully the tooth pain will be short lived. I have definitely had my share of that!

And your OS is definitely different. I like him more and more, the more you tell us about him. It’s amazing how many different opinions there are about this recovery, and yet good outcomes are achieved among all the differences.
 
My tooth pain is better this morning. It’s still there but Tylenol has managed it, eating carefully.

Yes, my OS is different and yet I haven’t been steered wrong. I called them yesterday morning to verify in my mind this information. I was worried that I’d have to wait for 3 months but then it would be under 2 weeks until my next TKR. When I saw him last week for my 6 week post op, he told me this but I had to verify. I knew I would stress myself if I didn’t confirm. Crazy, right?

BTW, I had not found a dentist here since moving. I had dental insurance through 12/22 but then retired and lost that. I found a dentist in town that would extract the tooth, never having seen me before. He is very laid back, easy going and I feel as though I hit the jackpot again. It’s hard to find doctors/dentists when moving to a new area and the fact that the medical infrastructure is a bit lacking. So many people moving in to the area and not enough doctors.
 
When I saw him last week for my 6 week post op, he told me this but I had to verify. I knew I would stress myself if I didn’t confirm. Crazy, right?
No, not crazy, we manage a lot mentally early on in our recovery. Add pharmaceuticals, pain and energy drain to the mix and most of us aren’t as sharp as we normally are during these early weeks of healing. I am sorry you had to add a tooth extraction to the mix and hope your pain eases soon, Nivea. Thankfully you’re finding medical professionals you like and have confidence in. :thumb:
Have a great Wednesday!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well and had a nice weekend.
A great week to you, Nivea!
@Nivea
 
Thanks Layla. My knee is doing great, now at 9 weeks post op. I am walking a lot and doing things, sometimes forgetting I had the replacement. I have 5 weeks to go before the right knee is replaced. Hoping it goes as well as my left. Of course, I still get stiff when I first get up and move, nothing crazy and less than what it was prior to the replacement.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Nivea.
Only six days to go until, Righty, takes a turn.

I just posted to another members thread that is scheduled the same day as you!
TKR October 23 Here we go again! It's her second TKR also, but years removed from her first, unlike your situation.

I'll bet at this point you're ready to have it over with and to get on with the healing. You should be feeling pretty good by Christmas, something to look forward to. Wishing you all the best!
@Nivea
 
Thanks Layla! I can not believe my left knee is 3 months old already. Doing really well and forget it’s a brand new knee. Yes, come Monday I will have a new knee and new new knee. Not looking forward to starting all over but if it goes like the left, by Christmas I should be feeling better.
 
Best Wishes, Nivea! How wonderful it will be to have both surgeries in the rear view and on the road to recovery.
2024 should be a great year for you. Look out…here she comes! :happydance:
@Nivea
 
I am home! Everything went very well and feel good. Tomorrow, may be a different story but we shall see.

I do not recall anything after getting into position for the spinal, next thing I remember was waking up and being in recovery. My LTKA in July 2023, I had staples, this time I have a dressing that stays on 7 days and is waterproof. It’s Aquacel and it was glued. I can shower tomorrow, yay!! Once I was able, I took a fairly decent walk it was a bit tiring. I was given lunch and scarfed that down as I was starving. I then had a cup of coffee which tasted sooo good. I took Tylenol and 1 5mg oxycodone. Took a 2nd walk and practiced the stairs and all was good. I did very well and felt good. Had dinner which tasted really really good. This hospital is a 24 bed orthopedic hospital and it’s restaurant quality food. Got my discharge papers and came home. Prior to leaving, I did take another 5mg oxycodone.
Now in my recliner and relaxing. Many of the nurses/techs remembered us from July, one of which remembered our daughter in law was with us last time, etc..

Obviously, my doctor does not want you to be in pain and it can deter healing, however, his instructions are to start with the Tylenol regimen of 2 extra strength every 6 hours, round the clock. If no relief, take the oxycodone, starting with 1 5mg and if needed take a 2nd one an hour later. Interesting. I had an oxy at 7 and my pain level is a 1. No PT necessary.

My doctors instructions remain no icing and no elevation. He said a recliner is good but putting pillows or a wedge to elevate is a no-no, from his perspective. Please do not take this as gospel and change what your instructions are. I followed his guidance in July and it worked for me. The BoneSmart way is basically what I follow with gentle movements and just doing my daily routine, modified if necessary. I love that everyone here is so supportive and the staf is amazing.

Please change my title to: 2nd knee replacement done
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Second Knee Replacement Done
    IMG_0303.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
What a great first postop post!!!!
I had the glue strip on both my TKRs and never ever want staples or sutures again!
 
I’m glad all went so well again this second time! Best wishes for a great recovery!

Here‘s a refresher course:

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
​
If you want to use something to help heal the incision, ​
BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
​
​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Another change from July ‘23 with my LTKR, I was prescribed Meloxicam, along with a baby aspirin (twice per day) The aspirin is the blood thinner and know other NSAIDS should not be used. I questioned this and was told meloxicam is the only NSAID that has recently been found out to be safe with the aspirin. Meloxicam should be helpful for inflammation/pain.

I didn’t do too bad last night. I slept until 3, up to use the bathroom and take Tylenol. Woke up again this morning at 7. I’ve been up and walking, a couple of times. Pain level is 1 sitting in the recliner. All in all I feel good.
 
Welcome to recovery, Nivea!
I hope you have the same good result following your surgeon's guidance once again.
Thanks for sharing your recovery journeys with us. Lots of comfort to you!
@Nivea
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom