Guest viewing is limited

TKR Second Knee Replacement Done

@mendogal that is very interesting. I have staples and able to shower 48 hours after surgery. I would be interested in the local anesthetic! i also find it interesting that each surgeon has his/her own protocol even within the same practice. My OS who did my knee replacement also did my THR. For my hip, I had staples, could shower 48 hours after surgery. I had zero restrictions and no PT at all, just use it. Everyone I spoke to were quite surprised at that.
 
@mendogal that is very interesting. I have staples and able to shower 48 hours after surgery. I would be interested in the local anesthetic! i also find it interesting that each surgeon has his/her own protocol even within the same practice. My OS who did my knee replacement also did my THR. For my hip, I had staples, could shower 48 hours after surgery. I had zero restrictions and no PT at all, just use it. Everyone I spoke to were quite surprised at that.
Oh I should clarify: the glue strip was water proof. The gauze bandage was removed by me the morning after surgery. The other advantage of the glue strip is very easy removal at three week postop visit AND one incredibly narrow incision line.
 
Our son and daughter in law came down yesterday and spent the night. We went out for dinner last night and out for breakfast this morning. First time going out during my recovery. I did well and it felt good to go out. This morning, I walked outside and went around the block. Feeling good!
 
Getting back out amongst the living makes all the difference in the world. You feel like a new person! At least I did. None of the limping in pain, stopping to rest, looking for the closest parking spot etc. You know the drill.
Thanks for sharing the good news. It will encourage any waiting for surgery.
Have a great week!
@Nivea
 
My 3rd day of walking around the block and feeling good. I am tired afterwards so make sure I relax and even nod off a bit. Just to get outside feels nice, as long as the temps don’t get too hot. I am able to bend my knee more and more each day.

@Jockette just noticed you are in Delaware and saw on another thread that you had some issues with your knee. We moved to Delaware 2 years ago but I did not have my surgery done with any doctors here. I have to say, we are not all that happy with the medical landscape in Delaware. So much different from where we came from, perhaps it’s due to being a small state. On top of a small state, many people are now moving out of NY, NJ & PA to movIng here and not enough doctors
 
Yes, Delaware is a teeny, tiny state. After I joined Bonesmart I realized my PKR is a controversial one, and one of my second opinion surgeons won’t even do it. So, unknowingly, I agreed to a controversial procedure, in a small town, and I suspect my surgeon didn’t have a lot of experience with it, though I know he does a great TKR. Two of my second opinions were in the Philadelphia area, and one in the Baltimore area, but at this point, no one will touch it. I’m content at this point to live with it.
 
That is one nice thing about being in Delaware, Philly and Baltimore are not all that far and great hospitals. It is so hard to know how to choose a doctor. My husband had triple bypass in 2020, we were able to get a referral from his cardiologist for a doctor here in DE, however, he’s 45 minutes from us. We aren’t ready to find someone closer. If you are able to live with it, that is important.
 
That is one nice thing about being in Delaware, Philly and Baltimore are not all that far and great hospitals. It is so hard to know how to choose a doctor. My husband had triple bypass in 2020, we were able to get a referral from his cardiologist for a doctor here in DE, however, he’s 45 minutes from us. We aren’t ready to find someone closer. If you are able to live with it, that is important.
Yep!
Those of us living in rural areas routinely drive an hour each way for specialist care and sometimes two hours + for highly specialized university medical center care.
There are ostensibly orthopedists in my town. I have seen them botch casting a fracture, and there's an older very competent orthopedic surgeon, not in this town, who has spent decades revising locally botched hip replacements.
 
Had my 2 week post op today, a couple of days late. Everything went very well, it was a good visit. The staples came out, do not need formal PT, doing very well with where I am as far as recovery. No restrictions at all. Use a cane until I feel steady without it. I may not use it in the house all the time but will use it when going out. My swelling is where it should be at this point, the bending of my knee is exactly where they want it a this point. I go back in 4 weeks for my 6 week post op. At that point, I will schedule my right knee and do it all over again, looking at October.
 
It sounds like you're being very sensible about your recovery. Good for you! I pray it goes even better than you like it will!
 
Wonderful update! Sounds like it couldn’t have been better. It certainly is reassuring to receive a nod from the surgeon that all looks well and your progress is on target. You’re doing great! Thanks for the update, Nivea.
@Nivea
 
4 weeks tomorrow and fairly uneventful. Have been doing a few things around the house, walking a bit and resting. Have gone out for dinner, visited with neighbors and have enjoyed some outside time. Still sleeping in the recliner and can’t wait until I am comfortable in bed. I am not a back sleeper and can’t sleep with pillows, just can’t get comfortable with pillows. Other than that, I think all is going well.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re having a great day and I’m wishing you a wonderful weekend!
@Nivea
 
Ah, thank you Layla. Fairly uneventful recovery but taking tips from others here. My recovery seems pretty routine and have seen progress each week.
 
Friday night I tried sleeping in bed and it was so-so. Lasted until 4am and back to the recliner. I tried again last night and made it all night and slept fairly good. Woke up a few times due to leg hurting but able to go back to sleep. Not at all disappointed with this and plan on going to bed tonight. If some nights I am back in the recliner, so be it.
 
Awesome news! You're getting there. :egypdance:
@Nivea
 
That's a big step forward, sleeping back in your bed.
 
Had my 6 week check up today and was told I was a super star! All is good. A bit of swelling left but not horrible At all. Extension is spot on and my bend is excellent. I made my appointment for my RTKR. October 23, 2023. Something to look forward to! LOL.
 
Lucky lucky me! I am 7 weeks post op, knee is doing well. However, I have to go get a tooth pulled today. More nervous about that than having my TKR. LOL.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom